videocardz AMD Radeon R9 290X Memory Bus: 512-bit

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
They also tend to dump heat into the case as opposed to exhausting it.

And what's your point? A modern case can dissipate 600W of heat being dumped without major problems. In fact, most gamers get horrible tempeartures for CPU/GPU because of their case selection, not reference vs. after-market GPU design:

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Vertical-vs-Horizontal-Case-Cooling-89/page2

CPU & GPU temperatures can rise between 20-40*C in a case with poor airflow.

On the contrary, a reference 7970 hardly improved case & motherboard temperatures over an after-market version.

Then there are noise levels. If you want a quieter system, cards like MSI Gaming >>>> any reference designed GPU. To summarize with a reference card vs. after-market you generally get:

- worse temperatures
- worse overclocking
- worse noise levels
- often less premium components -- this impacts power consumption too as an after-market card can come clocked much higher with minimal impact on power usage as a result of GPU binning and/or use of more premium VRM/PCB components.

When cards like EVGA GTX780 ACX cost just $10 more over reference, the reference card is irrelevant for 90% of users.

Last edited:

Sohaltang

Apr 13, 2013
Design is ok for a reference card. Would preferred metal over plastic. I would think a well ventilated case would benefit from metal. Cant be that much cheaper to make it plastic.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
R9 290x
AMD-Radeon-R9-290X-New-51.jpg

AMD-Radeon-R9-290X-New-61.jpg

7970_Front_575px.jpg

7970-1b.jpg

The fan size appears bigger.

The R9 290x definitely looks a little better but is nothing too special.

Last edited:

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Honestly will think the reference design no matter how it performs will never be recommended by this forum,i remember all the hype about the Titan and 780 cooler and look where that went lol.

The reference cooler for the 780 and Titan is pretty bad ass for reference,but yeah like this reference cooler on the 290x,it will be dismissed as a pos compared to aftermarket in no time flat.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Honestly will think the reference design no matter how it performs will never be recommended by this forum,i remember all the hype about the Titan and 780 cooler and look where that went lol.

The reference cooler for the 780 and Titan is pretty bad ass for reference,but yeah like this reference cooler on the 290x,it will be dismissed as a pos compared to aftermarket in no time flat.

Why is it this happens ?

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
I do prefer the reference design but I think these will fly off the shelves (If the price is right) at launch so I will get what I can..

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Why is it this happens ?

Maybe cause honestly after market cards are better and often times cheaper then the reference models.I know the reference Titan cooler that was on the gtx770 in the reviews is only on one gtx770,its a Evga linked here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130939 and heck this damn thing is $450,some people have to smoke some serious crack to purchase this over the slew of cards under $450 that have better aftermarket coolers.

UNhooked

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
Unless one is going 4x SLI/CF, water cooling, I really don't understand why enthusiast gamers who drop $500+ on GPUs want reference cards. After-market cards tend to use more premium components, often come factory pre-overclocked by 5-15%, have superior coolers in terms of temperatures and noise levels, and tend to have higher resale value too.

Once the card is upside down in a case, what difference does it make how it looks?
This is personal preference but I like upside down video cards since then all the hot air can be exhausted with a fan on the top of the case and the cpu still stays cool since hot air rises.

Just my 2 cents. To each his own

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
And what's your point? A modern case can dissipate 600W of heat being dumped without major problems. In fact, most gamers get horrible tempeartures for CPU/GPU because of their case selection, not reference vs. after-market GPU design

My setup is very positive pressure oriented, which has good synergy with a blower and less so with an open card. Now, if someone comes out with a good aftermarket blower design I'll be all over it.

pipm1

Aug 17, 2013
I'm not to keen on the design of the new cooler, at least I'd like to see the innards. It looks more form-over-function.

See also the cooler on the R7-260X: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-r7-260x-curacao-bonaire,24370.html#xtor=RSS-181

To me the R7-260X ducts look like they are pointing in the wrong clockwise direct, i.e. the fan spins counter-clockwise hence shouldn't the airflow exits be lined-up likewise (if at all becasue the fins will straighten the flow anyway)?! The R7-260X looks like it is simply housing a 'flower-with-heatpipe' cooler I've already seen on some cards, e.g. the 7790. If the R9-290X fan/impeller thing rotates counter-clockwise also, then I see the same problem, but maybe I'm wrong.

Sorry, if its inappropriate to post in this thread for non R9 290X card!

Last edited:

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Probably just an ES model with a different fan. I wouldn't worry about it. Look at what kind of heatsinks the Mobo manufacturers use when they first showcase their products. It has not been finalized.

UNhooked

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
man I refreshed my browser and now it keeps buffering

nvm IE works

Last edited:

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
So we learned it is a re-badge, with certain features locked out on the cheaper models.....

I have no idea what AMD is doing here.....

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
So we learned it is a re-badge, with certain features locked out on the cheaper models.....

I have no idea what AMD is doing here.....

How is rebadging or feature locking anything new to either company?