Question [Videocardz] 6600 Details

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

No MSRP is given, not that it matters.

One thing notable is that the article mentions that there's an "up to" qualifier for the 8 GB of memory. So there might be 4 GB models released at some point.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Going to call a few friends, see if they need an upgrade, for MSRP + small "finder's fee".

How does the RX 6600 stack up against, say, a GTX 1660 Super/Ti?

It s on Computerbase benches, click on the right part of the graphs to add other GPUs,.
48% faster than a 1660S at 1080p.

• Wow
Reactions: Tlh97

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I also got selected. Do you all think the Sapphire version is worth getting at $429? I was hoping for a cheaper version and not the most expensive card.

I'd buy it, sell the Fury, enjoy the lower power usage, better performance, full driver support, RDNA2 optimizations and the comfort of knowing you have warranty. Fury values are inflated too so while saving $100 would have been nice at least you are riding two waves, even if only one of them is helping you.

Furys were already dipping well below $100 at times on the bay before the latest shenanigans.

(I think you already bought it, I would just enjoy it)

Last edited:

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I'd buy it, sell the Fury, enjoy the lower power usage, better performance, full driver support, RDNA2 optimizations and the comfort of knowing you have warranty. Fury values are inflated too so while saving $100 would have been nice at least you are riding two waves, even if only one of them is helping you.

Furys were already dipping well below $100 at times on the bay before the latest shenanigans.

(I think you already bought it, I would just enjoy it)
Thanks for your advice. It's just that $470 for 1080p gaming is a hard pill to swallow. The energy savings, extra vram and other features would be nice to have though.

I see what you're saying about the price of used Fury cards. Heck the 7970 in my other rig is going for around $100 or more. Crazy times.

My RX 6600 shipped UPS 3 day select on yesterday and should be here on Monday.

Reactions: Tlh97 and blckgrffn

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Sure is! Even with "unusable" RT on top.

I remember paying $120 ea., for a pair of GTX 1050 ti 4GB cards.

Cie Est La Vie.
Wow! Nice price on those 1050ti cards.

Hey, I didn't get a shipping notice for the 6600 from newegg. I just happened to be logged in their site and saw the notice on their home page. It must have shipped shortly after I ordered yesterday.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Thanks for your advice. It's just that $470 for 1080p gaming is a hard pill to swallow. The energy savings, extra vram and other features would be nice to have though.

I see what you're saying about the price of used Fury cards. Heck the 7970 in my other rig is going for around $100 or more. Crazy times.

My RX 6600 shipped UPS 3 day select on yesterday and should be here on Monday.
You have to leave that mindset about pricing behind. Unless you are going to hold out indefinitely. Because prices will likely remain high for quite some time yet. Heck, there are already credible accusations of chip hoarding to artificially inflate prices.

That Fury is EOL driver support, only has 4GB, and has how many years of hard living left in it? Sell it now, while the price it fetches is way higher than it should be.

And the 6600 can do 1440p smoothly, if you dial in the settings for a particular title. There are a few where it isn't suitable, but those are outliers comparatively. And there are games now, where that Fury runs out of memory at 1080. Selling the Fury and keeping the 6600 is a no brainer from my perspective.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008

Wow, these cards are high-efficiency mining monsters, @50W or less! MORE efficient than 1660 Super!
But what hashrate? Also I didn't think the 1660 super was very efficient for mining? I could be wrong though.

I agree with Dapunisher, the 6600 looks like a nice upgrade, the the Fury is still a great card and I disagree with it being EOLed.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
You have to leave that mindset about pricing behind. Unless you are going to hold out indefinitely. Because prices will likely remain high for quite some time yet. Heck, there are already credible accusations of chip hoarding to artificially inflate prices.

That Fury is EOL driver support, only has 4GB, and has how many years of hard living left in it? Sell it now, while the price it fetches is way higher than it should be.

And the 6600 can do 1440p smoothly, if you dial in the settings for a particular title. There are a few where it isn't suitable, but those are outliers comparatively. And there are games now, where that Fury runs out of memory at 1080. Selling the Fury and keeping the 6600 is a no brainer from my perspective.

Don’t you know the only way to play and test 1440p is at ultra settings? I mean, are there other settings?!? Who cares if you can’t tell the difference? PC Master Race demands Ultra! 😂

lol, I made a lengthy, needless comment @ Ars about their ridiculous “testing” methodology which boils down to three games, ultra settings and only 1440p. Oddly enough a lot of the down stack cards recently have been pretty disappointing. Shocking!

Heck, I would flip the 7970 and keep the Fury. Might as well keep the newest card available for a backup in these weird times.

Last edited:

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Makes sense. I didn't realize there was a 7970 too. I agree, sell the oldest first, might want to keep the Fury as a backup or for another system.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Makes sense. I didn't realize there was a 7970 too. I agree, sell the oldest first, might want to keep the Fury as a backup or for another system.
My logic is - the fury sells for twice as much on average. And I probably have over a 100 games that 7970 would play great, so I am not going to suffer from using it. Why end up risking holding on to that Fury until the bubble pops, instead of maximizing resale on it while I can? Besides, won't need a backup any longer than it takes to get the RMA back. Using it for another build, would normally be my call too, but now is the time to sell, if you are ever going to. That's how I see it anyways.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
The 1660 super is not that efficient, it mines 31-32Mh/s @75W, while the RX6700XT can get to 46MH/s @90W. If these RX6600 can mine 30Mh@50W forget about getting them for gaming.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The 1660 super is not that efficient, it mines 31-32Mh/s @75W, while the RX6700XT can get to 46MH/s @90W. If these RX6600 can mine 30Mh@50W forget about getting them for gaming.
Apparently, not quite 30MH/sec on ETH, @ 50-55W. Slight reduction compared to a 6600XT, due to slower VRAM. (Although, some cards, such as the Sapphire Pulse, may actually have the higher-clocked VRAM on them, if reviews can be believed.)

Close enough, though, that I expect miner demand for these cards to be fairly high, due to lower barrier-to-entry, and reasonable resale value back to gamers when/if the market crashes.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Your idea of "available" is different than mine. When I can go to Newegg and pick up the latest mid-range Radeon or GeForce card for MSRP without going through some asinine raffle process, THEN they're actually "available"
Rather ironic, don't you think, that a "gamer" would object to lifting a finger to participate in the Newegg Shuffle, when that was DESIGNED to fight scalpers and bots, and to give gamers a BETTER CHANCE at getting a card, rather than just fighting off bots among the "virtual shelves".

You can't win if you don't play. As a miner speaking to gamers, "don't blame me for your own lack of motivation" (to get a GPU). I just picked up two in the last two days, and I could have picked up a 3060 besides.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Rather ironic, don't you think, that a "gamer" would object to lifting a finger to participate in the Newegg Shuffle, when that was DESIGNED to fight scalpers and bots, and to give gamers a BETTER CHANCE at getting a card, rather than just fighting off bots among the "virtual shelves".

You can't win if you don't play. As a miner speaking to gamers, "don't blame me for your own lack of motivation" (to get a GPU). I just picked up two in the last two days, and I could have picked up a 3060 besides.

I must of entered the Newegg Shuffle a dozen times at this point, and I never got picked. It's amazing that they can charge almost double the original MSRP for some of these cards like the 3070's, and they still can't meet demand.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008

Thanks for the reassuring words. I've become increasingly pessimistic about prices ever returning to normal. I honestly don't know much about mining so I have no idea if another type of mining is lurking in the shadows ready to keep or drive prices higher. Supply issues have also been a problem lately.

Not sure what I want to do about the Fury. It would make a nice card for my backup 1600AF rig replacing the 7970. I would probably be kicking myself later if I don't sell the Fury when the prices are high though.

In other news the RX 6600 is out for delivery.