[Videocards][Rumor] New king coming soon - GTX 780 TI 3DMark score revealed

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Psh, my 7950 never been so fast.

1100/1500 "stock"

psh_zps002f8a05.png~original

No worries boys, scaling is fine.

Cue excuses, tangents, denials.. rabble rabble rabble.

lol I was talking about clock scaling, it isn't going high enough on water.

I can see how that might have been confusing.

Last edited:

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
Here's 3 R9 290X's in crossfire and they only manage 31K GPU: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1046430

That score grooveriding posted probably had voltage mods + LN2. Lets see some on air for more realistic numbers. I don't think many gamers have LN2 pots sitting next to them when gaming or are all R9 290x owners supposed to shell out for extreme cooling when they buy one of these?The same guy that posted the R290X score also had this in his post over on OCN:

900x900px-LL-8417629a_image_id_1027068.jpeg

Last edited:

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Sounds like this card will be faster, cooler, quieter, and have more launch availability than the 290x, since they are enabling more of a mature chip, not creating a new one.

The real problem for both isn't performance on the "1%" cards...it is their pricing on the rest.

What are the 290(pro?) and the vanilla 780 going to be priced at? AMD has backed itself into a corner by launching 290x cheaper than they initially planned, and NV did not plan on launching any new 20nm cards.......now they have to discontinue Titan and lower 780.

Good times for all, indeed.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
No worries boys, scaling is fine.

LL

900x900px-LL-cdec04c5_hb92h.jpeg

Cue excuses, tangents, denials.. rabble rabble rabble.

Why is the first one using a lower clocked quad instead of a higher clocked hex?

What is this supposed to show again?

Also the date on the first one is January of this year....?

Last edited:

RiDE

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2004
But whatever, keep polluting the forum with fanboy drivel so it can lose whatever little credibility it has left.

This isn't a response to whoever you quoted but I feel the same way... this and the CPU subforum is full of fanboys and even worse, people that pretend they're not fanboys. You'd have to wade through their posts to read something worthwhile that isn't tinged red or green. I'll be sticking to Garage. :hmm:

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
This isn't a response to whoever you quoted but I feel the same way... this and the CPU subforum is full of fanboys and even worse, people that pretend they're not fanboys. You'd have to wade through their posts to read something worthwhile that isn't tinged red or green. I'll be sticking to Garage. :hmm:

It seems there is just no happy medium to be found, or is there ? :confused:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
It seems there is just no happy medium to be found, or is there ? :confused:

Doesn't seem like it? Just extremist fans gloating mostly. Or maybe they're the loudest ones. They're also the most annoying ones.. Fanboys with deep brand allegiances are annoying, yes they are, for both sides.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
Doesn't seem like it? Just extremist fans gloating mostly. Or maybe they're the loudest ones. They're also the most annoying ones.. Fanboys with deep brand allegiances are annoying, yes they are, for both sides.

I guess the member Groove is talking about left before you got here.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Has it been confirmed the ti is anything more than a rebranded titan? If it's just a $650 titan it still gets smoked by aftermarket cooled 290x's.

It isn't "confirmed" that it isn't a rebranded 8800gt, but there are enough leaks (to go with logical deduction) to know what nv is doing.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005

The best part of these threads is that some of the most heard voices are the ones that wouldn't ever buy these cards.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Has it been confirmed the ti is anything more than a rebranded titan? If it's just a $650 titan it still gets smoked by aftermarket cooled 290x's.
That's the thing. They're either going to have to crank the clocks or get a full fledged GK110 going to compete. I'm guessing the former, and since 3DMark11 is usually nvidia's best benchmark, this means it's just going to fall further behind aftermarket/overclocked 290X's. Also, since it's using higher clocks, the efficiency of the Titan is going to be lost as well. I'm hoping this means nvidia is going to compete on price, although that will throw all the previous Titan/780 owners under the bus (no big surprise from nvidia though).

Chumster

Apr 29, 2001
Any chance the release will line up with their (nVidia's) Holiday bundle tomorrow? I figure they will want to drop the 780Ti before the R9 290 reviews crop up on Thursday. Plus the 28th seemed like an odd date at the time they announced it.

Venomous

Golden Member
Oct 18, 1999
What kills me is people still play nvidias game on pricing... They have been gouging you for how long and you still don't respect the 290x forcing prices down? Time for you guys to move out of mommy and daddy's house and live in reality...

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
The best part of these threads is that some of the most heard voices are the ones that wouldn't ever buy these cards.
Glad someone besides me has noticed this odd phenomenon.

Venomous said:
What kills me is people still play nvidias game on pricing... They have been gouging you for how long and you still don't respect the 290x forcing prices down? Time for you guys to move out of mommy and daddy's house and live in reality...
They both do it to the degree that they can get away with it. The 7970, Titan, and GTX 280 were the most blatant examples that stand out in my mind. The only real way to fix it would be for us consumers to simply not buy the product en masse until they get the picture...This will in all likelihood not happen, I know this and am as guilty as anyone.

Last edited:

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
They both do it to the degree that they can get away with it. The 7970, Titan, and GTX 280 were the most blatant examples that stand out in my mind.

If you have 7970 there, add gtx580 aswell:
Day1 7970 review:
http://tpucdn.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970/images/perfdollar.gif
Brand new, power efficient 28nm gpu that have the same perf/$ as old power hungry 40nm card, I can see how one is a ripoff and the other is not. But it seems you got it backwards...

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
If you have 7970 there, add gtx580 aswell:
Day1 7970 review:
http://tpucdn.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970/images/perfdollar.gif
Brand new, power efficient 28nm gpu that have the same perf/$ as old power hungry 40nm card, I can see how one is a ripoff and the other is not. But it seems you got it backwards...

Get your AMD biased crap out of here. The 580 was occupying a previously established "high end" price point. Typically (though obviously there are exceptions) the new high end takes over the previous price point, forcing the old cards down. The 7970 escalated the pricing structure over the 6970 and 580 solely for AMD's financial gain, this became extremely apparent when the bottom dropped out of the 7970's pricing upon the arrival of the 680. Just like what happened with the GTX 280. Take the red glasses off.

Warning issued for inflammatory language.
-- stahlhart

Last edited by a moderator:

tolis626

Aug 25, 2013
-----Take the red glasses off.

+1 on that.Who the hell wears red glasses?Ridiculous... :p

Joking (And probably bad at that) aside,I would wonder if NVidia didn't have an answer to the 290x.Since the aftermarket cards aren't out (And let's face it,they are the vast majority of the sales) for either the 290x or the 780ti,we can't tell how they are going to perform.Period.Any speculation is acceptable,but trying to force it down people's throats isn't what we're here about.
On topic now,I think the 780ti will slightly best the 290x,but that's about it.I tend to believe the 3gb/2496 shaders rumors,but I don't know.Given NVidia's humongous pile of cash,I guess they could release a full gk110 part with 2880 shaders and 6gb for 650$ at very low margins,just to stop AMD from gaining any momentum whatsoever.I doubt it'll happen,but it's a possibility.Still,I wouldn't say we really know how the 290x performs until we see aftermarket cooling.That cooler they slapped on it...Nah.I wanted to throw the original PS3 out of the window due to the noise it made after a while of gaming.I don't want the same going for my PC.I'll just buy an aftermarket 290x (Probably Lightning or Toxic/Vapor-x) and make sure my case can dissipate the heat.Here's to hoping it will!

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
If nvidia makes the new 780ti about $600 to compete with the coming crop of aftermarket cooled 290x's I'm there :)

Probably a separate subject, but I wonder how many performance increases each vendor will be able to offer via driver updates in the future... I'm assuming AMD maybe has a better chance to optimize as the nvidia drivers are probably already fairly mature?

Venomous

Golden Member
Oct 18, 1999
If nvidia makes the new 780ti about $600 to compete with the coming crop of aftermarket cooled 290x's I'm there :)

Probably a separate subject, but I wonder how many performance increases each vendor will be able to offer via driver updates in the future... I'm assuming AMD maybe has a better chance to optimize as the nvidia drivers are probably already fairly mature?

The one credit I always lend to NV is their driver development. They always managed another significant increase in performance when a competitor does a launch.

The non ref custom 290x and 290s have potential at being the fastest card out there. Driver /Bios hacking has prob already begun for these guys trying to give the 290x more power. It's kind of hard to predict this early in.

No one is discrediting that NV will have an equal card or something a wee bit faster than a 290x ref. however, there is that slight chance that aftermarket 290x just may show its full potential, essentially destroying the Ti or Titan.

Whether NV looses it's crown or not, it really doesn't matter for which color you choose. Both camps are producing extremely fast cards that many of us couldn't tell either apart. It's what the devs will do with all of the proprietary extras that each company is pushing with the latest hardware.