[Videocards][Rumor] New king coming soon - GTX 780 TI 3DMark score revealed

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
Yes it's from Smoke's 4x submission on the bot. Yes Hwbot allows it for competitions (some but not all). It doesn't need modified tess anyway because the clocks are 400mhz below 2nd place....

Ballas claim that his 7950 beats 4x 290x is laughable. What jokes you provide here balla.

Well, in his defense you did say Nvidia couldn't beat that score. They may very well can if they run the benchmark at the same settings.

That is my last comment on the matter however, too much stupidity around this.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
I'm satisfied with my shiny rebadge 280X. I'd rather spend $500 on 20nm than buying the tailend of this 28nm gen. Within a year or two as console ports become more optimised and games need more and more grunt then a shiny new R10 series will look more and more appealing.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
you did say Nvidia couldn't beat that score. They may very well can if they run the benchmark at the same settings.

I think Nvidia can beat it if they release a new product. The 780Ti they're coming out with is probably to take some attention away from the 290X release. That was my point about 780ti needing to be the full 110. This is really a case of newbie overclockers thinking Tess modified results are invalid. If the bot didn't allow it, then it wouldn't be on the charts.

For now the 290x has the #1 spot on the bot. If Titan can beat it, then it will. We'll see. If this 780ti has all the cores of the GK110 /180 on the B1 stepping, then there's a chance it could take back the lead. Currently according to the hwbot website, the 290 is in first place, and it's hard for Nvidia fans to accept that. Hardcore Fanboys pull the 'not valid because of tess' excuse. If someone can beat that first place 290x score with Nvidia cards, they will. They'll do it tess modified or not.

If the majority of people won't accept the score as valid with the Tesselation modified, then the 290X benchers will be forced to try to beat the Titan Quad Sli scores without modfied tess. Which may or may not be done... As it stands now, professional overclockers don't care about that setting, which is why it's being enabled and the 290x is still ranked #1 on the site in the first place. Kingpin has GTX Titan scores taking first place on Futuremarks Hall of fame (3dmark website) that are a lot LOWER than the scores he puts on HWbot. Think about that for a second.

If enough people make a fuss, then maybe we'll see some Titan tess modified, or 290x without tess modified. 290x is #1, $450 less, and hard to swallow. How important is tesselation to that benchmark? That's the real argument going on. Is it important enough to make them change the rules and not allow modified tess to give the 290x #1 spot. Is it that hard for NV fanboys to deal with a Radeon card in first place? Whats the reasoning behind the 780Ti release?

Feb 19, 2009
Hopefully its going to be a great fight between these companies, I am in the market for an upgrade soon and whichever is best perf/$ gets my wallet.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
I'll just leave this here:

And I'll just delete it. Now how about contributing something constructive instead?
-- stahlhart
Since when was this thread constructive in the first place? You have a crying nvidiot trying to dig up anything he can to drag attention away from the 290X in any way possible.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
Since when was this thread constructive in the first place? You have a crying nvidiot trying to dig up anything he can to drag attention away from the 290X in any way possible.

And why do you feel the need to personally attack the OP? If he wants to create NVIDIA related threads, that's his business.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
And why do you feel the need to personally attack the OP? If he wants to create NVIDIA related threads, that's his business.
Who exactly did I personally attack? I don't see a name in my post, do you? Nice try :thumbsup:

But whatever, keep polluting the forum with fanboy drivel so it can lose whatever little credibility it has left.

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010

Then refute what he's posting by sticking to the content, without resorting to strawmen and ad hominem attacks.

I understand from your posting history that that's a tall order, but try.

Chumster

Apr 29, 2001
Then refute what he's posting by sticking to the content, without resorting to strawmen and ad hominem attacks.

I understand from your posting history that that's a tall order, but try.

I'd argue it's hard to refute rumor and unverified screenshots that are supplied as fact.

Also, seems a little hypocritical to call someone out for making personal attacks and turn around and do it yourself. Been reading AT for a long time and I think this sub has hit a low.

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
I'd argue it's hard to refute rumor and unverified screenshots that are supplied as fact.

Also, seems a little hypocritical to call someone out for making personal attacks and turn around and do it yourself. Been reading AT for a long time and I think this sub has hit a low.

I stand by what I said -- if there is a problem with posted content, refute the posted content, and not by attacking the source personally.

Use of the term "nvidiot" to describe another forum member and discredit their contribution to the discussion, however good or bad it is, is not constructive.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
This:

Who exactly did I personally attack?

Then this:

But whatever, keep polluting the forum with fanboy drivel so it can lose whatever little credibility it has left.

Those guys are attacking a product based on imperfections, you're indirectly attacking individuals. Seems pretty obvious what is and isn't in line with the rules here IMHO.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
It would be prudent for anyone in the market right now to wait and see what nVidia has to offer before claiming any card a king. GTX 780 Ti could smack the 290X by 10%+ but what good is that going to be if it launches at a high price like the the Titan.

The card to watch for is the R9 290 because if it comes in at $449 that would be a tremendous amount of performance for the price.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Nvidia should lower the GTX 780 price to $500 and sell the GTX 780ti at $600.

As much as I have reservations about the OP being true, this would be most excellent for consumers. AMD would have no choice but to lower the 290X cost in all likelihood. Sucks for them but great for consumers LOL - that would give us what - a 450$ 290X? A 650$ 780ti with 6GB would be awesome from a consumer perspective as well.

I think I just need to separate myself from the hype and my own stubbornness and think about it in these terms. I like the market shake-ups. It's great for everyone on the market for a new GPU. That said I highly doubt it will happen that way (in terms of cost), but we'll see. Nvidia has never been that charitable, and I do believe GK110 is more expensive to produce since it has a larger die size (fewer chips per wafer, etc). In any case, like I said - it'll be interesting to see NV and AMD duke it out in november. I also agree that November would be a great time to buy since NV will have their game promotion and potential price cuts. And then we have to wait for aftermarket 290X cards - that could completely change the 290X dynamic since you presumably could buy a 290X without the accompanying AMD reference cooler.

Last edited:

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I think it would be nice to get back to having the high single core GPUs in the £200-300 range frankly. The idea that i want to spend £550+ on a single GPU that is barely 20% quicker than one at £230 is kind of crazy to begin with!

My personal opinion is the right price for these products is somewhere around £300, ie about $300. Historically that would have been a reasonable price, this generation broke the standard GPU pricing model excessively. I think all of these cards are massively overpriced for their performance level.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
I think it would be nice to get back to having the high single core GPUs in the £200-300 range frankly. The idea that i want to spend £550+ on a single GPU that is barely 20% quicker than one at £230 is kind of crazy to begin with!

My personal opinion is the right price for these products is somewhere around £300, ie about $300. Historically that would have been a reasonable price, this generation broke the standard GPU pricing model excessively. I think all of these cards are massively overpriced for their performance level.

I think the reason for this is pretty clear. The GPU is getting increasingly complex and costly to develop while the market is shrinking. So I think $650+ for high end cards is the new norm.

iiiankiii

Apr 4, 2008
I think the reason for this is pretty clear. The GPU is getting increasingly complex and costly to develop while the market is shrinking. So I think $650+ for high end cards is the new norm.

I wonder how big the market is for these high end GPU. If GPUs continue to be this expensive, I would have to imagine that less GPUs would be sold, less upgrades would be made and as a result, a decline in the market from here on out. Add to the fact that it is getting harder and more expensive to shrink the processing node, it looks like there is going to be stagnation in performance heading forward.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
:|
MrK6 is a quality member here.

3rded

I don't understand why the OP has to make a post to stir up the community about the 780ti. I mean, c'mon we knew this was going to happen and its not like the GPU will be 10-15% faster. It will edge out the 290x for more money and that is all. Its not like it's earth shattering. Its just GK110...

Last edited:

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
I don't see the problem with a GTX 780 Ti speculation thread, we've had many over the course of a few weeks for the R290X.

It's not like the R290X was 10-15% faster, it was just hotter and drew more power while shipping with an inadequate cooler.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
As much as I have reservations about the OP being true, this would be most excellent for consumers. AMD would have no choice but to lower the 290X cost in all likelihood. Sucks for them but great for consumers LOL - that would give us what - a 450$ 290X? A 650$ 780ti with 6GB would be awesome from a consumer perspective as well.

Why would AMD have to lower the price when the 290x can edge out the Titan too? Nvidia would have to price the 780 at $450 for this to happen. Remember the 290x has more VRAM too.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I don't understand why the OP has to make a post to stir up the community about the 780ti. I mean, c'mon we knew this was going to happen and its not like the GPU will be 10-15% faster. It will edge out the 290x for more money and that is all. Its not like it's earth shattering. Its just GK110...

I think a speculation thread is fine, there were many such threads for the 290X. I just think the way one goes about it could be much better, I suppose. I mean, gloating and all of that stuff is just a means to stir everyone up here. That is essentially what the OP was doing, i'm not a fan of that at all. That goes both ways of course for both camps.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Why would AMD have to lower the price when the 290x can edge out the Titan too? Nvidia would have to price the 780 at $450 for this to happen. Remember the 290x has more VRAM too.

I'm just saying, theoretically, it will be good for consumers - so i'm kinda anxious to see what happens in November. I still don't *think* it will happen (in terms of nvidia lowering prices that far), because NV has never been charitable with pricing even with stiff competition. But hey they might surprise us. Who knows.

I still have reservations about the whole 650$ 6GB faster than Titan card. I think it could be 3GB at that price, 6GB?? ehh. Highly highly doubt it. But we'll see. Just look at NV's pricing history and the reasons become fairly obvious - But if I look at it from a market perspective, from a consumers perspective, if that happens it would be really great for the market. -shrug-

Last edited: