Video trimming

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
I gotta trim about 17 avi files, probably just have to take off the first 8 seconds of each video. What's the fastest way I could do this? Also, I'd like to keep the original files incase I screw things up.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Will try those later. Mainly I'd like to trim all the 17 videos at the same time instead of individually.

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
:confused: in the time you've been waiting for an answer you could've setup and started all 17 files in virtualdub

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: Drakkon
:confused: in the time you've been waiting for an answer you could've setup and started all 17 files in virtualdub

Yeah, I guess you're right. Next time, answer faster ;)

I guess I'll try and find a way to trim them all at the same time.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Virtualdub won't open multiple video files to edit simultaneously. Is there a proggie out there that will or should I just do them all individually or shut up?

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Virtualdub blows. I open a 20mb avi file, trim a few sections, and it saves it as a 700MB file. WTFook. Someone please recommend a different program.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Adaman
Virtualdub blows. I open a 20mb avi file, trim a few sections, and it saves it as a 700MB file. WTFook. Someone please recommend a different program.

You fail at virtualdub. Under the Video drop down, switch it from whatever mode it is in to direct stream copy. It won't let you do many things, but it will let you trim.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Nah, I'm pretty sure Virtualdub just blows :p - It's really user un-friendly.

After switching to direct stream copy, editing the avi, and attempting to save it, I got this error message:
The source video stream uses a compression algorithm which is not compatible with AVI files. Direct Steam copy cannot be used with this video stream

This should be a simple task, but Virtualdub is making it as un-simple as possible. I would think a different program could do the job quicker and much easier.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

After switching to direct stream copy, editing the avi, and attempting to save it, I got this error message:
The source video stream uses a compression algorithm which is not compatible with AVI files. Direct Steam copy cannot be used with this video stream

This should be a simple task, but Virtualdub is making it as un-simple as possible. I would think a different program could do the job quicker and much easier.

VirtualDub is one of the best video editing tools for simple video editing (i.e. not doing fancy things). If you have to, recompress the videos ~_~.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001

*sigh*

What format are your videos in? And don't tell me AVI. AVI isn't an encoding format, it's a wrapper.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

Good luck finding something better. I've tried. Virtualdub is confusing to use, with cryptic error messages...but at least it doesn't create corrupted files or otherwise screw the job up like other programs I've tried.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: So

*sigh*

What format are your videos in? And don't tell me AVI. AVI isn't an encoding format, it's a wrapper.

Hey, don't sigh at me, wienerface :p

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Here's a copy and paste of the video info:
*** DIRECTSHOW FILTER LIST ***
1. VMR9 - Renderless mode
2. Gretech Video
3. MPEG Video Decoder
4. MPEG-I Stream Splitter
5. C:\Program Files\Randomvids\...

*** VIDEO INFO ***
Input Type : YUY2(RAW)
Input Size : 320 x 240
Output Type : YUY2
Output Size : 320 x 240
FrameRate(Frame/sec) : 30.49 (30.00)

Hopefully your answer is in there somewhere. Can't you see how Vdub is making this seemingly simple task to difficult? Ah well, that's how computers are. I don't doubt Vdub is the best out there.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Virtualdub is pretty good for minor things but it has a steep learning curve. I've used it off and on since I can't remember when, but I still am just a novice with it. It is pretty powerful and small for what it can do. Plus it is free.

I don't know of any others offhand to do it. Especially in a batch job, but surely such software would exist as it is probably pretty common for users to require batch jobs.

Perhaps search for a guide or tutorial on video trimming in Virtualdub. You are probably just missing an option. If you can't get them trimmed and encoded to a small file size at once, it may be worth it to just trim them and save them roughly uncompressed (I know huffyuv was used back in the day), then use something else to encode them. I know AutoGK does batch encoding jobs, but it might only be used for DVD rips. Try TMPGEnc maybe. Of course, that will all take a bit of time for such a seemingly simple task.