Video - part 2. Why is my iPhone so much better at stabilization?

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Both my Panasonic G85 and Nikon Z6 are applauded for the in-body-stabilization ( and, in the G85's case, the lens as well. )

But both seemingly pale compared to my iPhone. The iPhones built in stabilization works better.

I've tried using Adobe Premiere Elements to stabilize video, and it does (IMO) a crap job. Warbles and smearing.

I talked earlier about the wedding I video shot - I pretty much hodge-podged together a result for my friend. Bouncing and whirling abound.

I've been creating some small video snippets this summer of my girlfriend and mine hiking expeditions - the challenge this time isn't so much me attempting to video at a long focal length, but more the motion of me moving while hiking.
Again, trying to use Adobe Premiere Elements results in garbage stabilization. I didn't do enough recording on my iPhone to include any of its pieces... but IMO the few pieces I recorded are significantly smoother. (Look around the 3:50 mark in the video below to see a snippet I tried to stabilize. It looks... unnatural to say the least)

I'm just whinging to whine. Makes me think maybe I either need to just use my iPhone for hiking video or look at a GoPro.
The quality of video on the G85 and Nikon... when stable... is stellar.
But the iPhone is (a) stable and (b) whatever built in HDR they do is remarkable.

Done ranting

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
I'm guessing one reason is that the sensor is so much smaller so any mechanical stabilization system doesn't have to move as much to compensate for hand shake. Phones also have more sensors, like accelerometers, that could help in any stabilization algorithm.

Reactions: CuriousMike

turtile

Aug 19, 2014
You can't really compare the two since phones can use software and sensor tricks to stabalize the video. For example, my Pixel 2 is much better in video because it crops the footage and can use pixel data when the phone moves. I assume is used the built in sensors to detect motion and has algorithms to detect subjects as well.

Reactions: CuriousMike

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Both my G85 and Z6 have an additional "software" mode to help stabilize (essentially cropping the video) - it just does _not_ work as well as the iPhone.

And the fact my iPhone does HDR while recording 4k 30fps?

Hell, the iPhone is doing *LiveView* HDR.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
The iPhone is pretty good at video in general, at least in the daylight. I have an iPhone 7 and it is better than the old Sony mirrorless camera I use for stills.