Video of someone shot for real

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
If you want another shooting look up Daniel Shaver. Cops made him play some weird game of Simon Says, he messed up a movement, and they shot him to death. The whole thing is on video. Pretty horrible story with zero justice. They never showed the video to the jury.

Out of all police brutality ones this one actually shook me, just an average guy with wife and two young children who was on a work related trip and happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time who had no idea what was coming to him.

This particular one in OP is at least justified. Not a fan of the idea that cops have to shoot to kill instead of shoot to stop the threat, but other than that it was justified given the guy was attacking him.

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
It didn't look like the officer had much choice. He even said he didn't want to shoot, even as the guy charged him.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
There is no shoot to stop. Something like 15' is the minimum distance before Leo's should shoot to kill. Shot peeps don't drop like in the movies 70%+ of the time so they are still a threat.

Sad times for everyone though.

Reactions: pcgeek11

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
There is no shoot to stop. Something like 15' is the minimum distance before Leo's should shoot to kill. Shot peeps don't drop like in the movies 70%+ of the time so they are still a threat.

Sad times for everyone though.
It's the 21ft rule, and it is still not enough space and time for many LEOs when evaluated. The LEOs I have trained with, all felt like it was too close, if you have an athletic assailant. They all trained some form of grappling e.g. Combat submission wrestling or BJJ, to help survival chances should things go south on them.

I think @olds is right. If so, then the selfish act of suicide is bad enough; then you get douche canoes like this guy, that leave another human with the psychological aftermath to deal with. Nut up and put a gun in the roof of your mouth, if you are quitting the server, don't make another person do it for you.

I understand I come off insensitive, but I have dealt with way too many suicides among friends and family, to have anything but a very definite, and salty stance, on the topic.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
It's the 21ft rule, and it is still not enough space and time for many LEOs when evaluated. The LEOs I have trained with, all felt like it was too close, if you have an athletic assailant. They all trained some form of grappling e.g. Combat submission wrestling or BJJ, to help survival chances should things go south on them.

I think @olds is right. If so, then the selfish act of suicide is bad enough; then you get douche canoes like this guy, that leave another human with the psychological aftermath to deal with. Nut up and put a gun in the roof of your mouth, if you are quitting the server, don't make another person do it for you.

I understand I come off insensitive, but I have dealt with way too many suicides among friends and family, to have anything but a very definite, and salty stance, on the topic.
Not insensitive and I concur.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Suicide by cop?

The victim asked a neighbor to call the police.
Police showed up and the guy brandished the knife.
All signs point to suicide by cop.

Years ago there might have been more leeway for officers to try different tactics to try and deal with situations like this. I believe there are still plenty of cases where officers face situations like this and basically use calm conversation to deescalate.

Good cops might have been able to de-escalate and get that guy treatment for whatever led him to this.

Nowadays, standard procedure appears to be robotic shouting of commands with weapon drawn. Eliminate threat ASAP by any means necessary.
You might get fired if you deviate from the playbook

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
I think the officer was clearly in the right. It's still fucking heartbreaking.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Either suicide by cop or mental illness. Another video this week shows a guy charging a cop with a sword. Cop tried talking him down but was unsuccessful.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
There was a case in my city, they tried to use the taser first, but missed, then had to shoot. Was quite shocking as this sort of stuff never happens here but yet there were 2 in like the same week. Can't really fault the cop though when they give plenty of warning.

The ones I really have a problem with are the ones that shoot or taze when there is no threat. You can yell all you want but just because the person "failed to comply" that does not warrant ending their life unless they were coming straight at you or somebody else. Have to realize someone found in a situation with a cop yelling orders is going to be extremely nervous and might accidentally make a wrong movement. Some people have been killed because they scratched themselves, or reached over for their license and registration. Some cops will yell at you to not move, but at the same time also yell at you to get your ID out. Sooo which one do you want me to do? If you question anything they just shoot.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
There was a case in my city, they tried to use the taser first, but missed, then had to shoot. Was quite shocking as this sort of stuff never happens here but yet there were 2 in like the same week. Can't really fault the cop though when they give plenty of warning.

The ones I really have a problem with are the ones that shoot or taze when there is no threat. You can yell all you want but just because the person "failed to comply" that does not warrant ending their life unless they were coming straight at you or somebody else. Have to realize someone found in a situation with a cop yelling orders is going to be extremely nervous and might accidentally make a wrong movement. Some people have been killed because they scratched themselves, or reached over for their license and registration. Some cops will yell at you to not move, but at the same time also yell at you to get your ID out. Sooo which one do you want me to do? If you question anything they just shoot.
Nobody gets shot when they move slowly, deliberately, and communicate with the cop. If you get pulled over and start immediately rustling in your glove box or center console or anything then it immediately puts them in defensive mode. Put your hands on your wheel with your keys in your hands. If your wallet is immediately available, you can have your ID in your hand as well - but not if you have to rustle for it.

If you get stopped outside a vehicle - best thing you can do is keep your hands visible and away from your body. Don't move towards the cop or away from them.

People who get shot by cops don't follow simple common sense. Getting stopped is not the time to argue about your rights.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Nobody gets shot when they move slowly, deliberately, and communicate with the cop. If you get pulled over and start immediately rustling in your glove box or center console or anything then it immediately puts them in defensive mode. Put your hands on your wheel with your keys in your hands. If your wallet is immediately available, you can have your ID in your hand as well - but not if you have to rustle for it.

If you get stopped outside a vehicle - best thing you can do is keep your hands visible and away from your body. Don't move towards the cop or away from them.

People who get shot by cops don't follow simple common sense. Getting stopped is not the time to argue about your rights.

And that's the problem. When you're nervous it's possible to screw up. You might have an itch and scratch or do some movement without realizing it. A simple mistake like that should not cost you your life.

Arx Allemand

Sep 24, 2019
The cellphone video the shooter took of that reporter getting gunned down was quite disturbing. It was a few years ago.