Video Game Exchange Thread

Imyourzero

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Good idea. There was one of these going a while back but it fell by the wayside...too bad as it had a lot of posts. I tried to resurrect it, but no... :)

This one will be better if people will stick to the consistency thing, though.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Video Game Exchange Thread

It was created by popular support from the Console and PC Gamer AT communities.

The purpose of this thread is to notify the community that the exchange thread now exists in the trading subforum and to allow the community to discuss its implementation.

Please keep all discussion about the exchange thread in this thread and limit your single post in the exchange thread to the information that you are allowed to post there.

This thread will be stickied for two months.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Hmm, so I guess I can't add my Spore or Crysis games since they require activation? Pity.

Very cool idea though. Maybe I'll throw up some of my PS3 games.

KT

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Keith,

Are you familiar with how EA (or any SecuROM protected title for that matter) treats activation for used games? Will they refund the activations if someone gives the game to another person? I would like to lift that ban on activation games if they have a process for taking care of it and it will not result in the person receiving the game from not being able to play it.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Keith,

Are you familiar with how EA (or any SecuROM protected title for that matter) treats activation for used games? Will they refund the activations if someone gives the game to another person? I would like to lift that ban on activation games if they have a process for taking care of it and it will not result in the person receiving the game from not being able to play it.

Not sure exactly, I'll do some digging to see what I can find out.

KT

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I have a question about this rule...
No money is to change hands. If you want to sell something, make your own thread.

If someone sees something on someone elses list and doesn't have a game the other person wants, who is to stop them from offering money through a PM?

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
AdamK47

While I understand what you mean. If someone is wanting to accept money for said game, then it should probably be posted in the Forsale/Trade forum.

Game trading, should equal to each person paying shipping.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Well I haven't really been able to find anything on re-selling or trading activated games.

I think I'll send EA an e-mail when I get home tonight.

KT

ZappDogg

Jul 18, 2005
I sold Bioshock after activating it once. Told the buyer before the transaction, who stated it wasn't a problem.

Activation shouldn't tie you to the game, unless you are required to make some sort of online account (like Spore).

Frodolives

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2001
I hope we can please sort out those distinctions soon. I see some listings on the trade thread that already include titles that clearly require activation, yet as far as I can tell, the posted rules still forbid it so far. If it's going to be allowed, we also might want to have a black list/white list somewhere stating which activated games are known to be still valid for new users, as well as the obvious ones that clearly cannot be legally traded.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Will it be allowed to sell games by xferring game accounts? I am well aware that it is illegal to sell game accounts for SOME mmorpgs, but there are games that require registration, and if I give all my registration info to the buyer, I don't see how that is illegal. For example, I made an online account with Company of Heroes +expansion. Some people might not be willing to buy the disks because they cant play multiplayer. But if I give them my account name and pass, I don't see what the problem is.

Also, I think Anandtech should allow people to trade their MMORPG accounts... I said TRADE, not sell. Maybe that wouldn't be so illegal? Say, my GW account for your steam account, or my WoW account for your EVE Online TC or your old hard drive?

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: ibex333
Will it be allowed to sell games by xferring game accounts? I am well aware that it is illegal to sell game accounts for SOME mmorpgs, but there are games that require registration, and if I give all my registration info to the buyer, I don't see how that is illegal. For example, I made an online account with Company of Heroes +expansion. Some people might not be willing to buy the disks because they cant play multiplayer. But if I give them my account name and pass, I don't see what the problem is.

Also, I think Anandtech should allow people to trade their MMORPG accounts... I said TRADE, not sell. Maybe that wouldn't be so illegal? Say, my GW account for your steam account, or my WoW account for your EVE Online TC or your old hard drive?

After doing some research on this, going through some of the games' ToS', and discussing with senior moderators, I think it is quite evident that this goes against the ToS of most MMO games in-particular, and even Steam.

Relevant information on this can be found in various game providers' ToS' here:

World of Warcraft

Blizzard does not recognize the transfer of Accounts. You may not purchase, sell, gift or trade any Account, or offer to purchase, sell, gift or trade any Account, and any such attempt shall be null and void.

Steam

You are entitled to use the Steam Software for your own use, but you are not entitled to: (i) sell, grant a security interest in or transfer reproductions of the Steam Software to other parties in any way, nor to rent, lease or license the Steam Software to others without the prior written consent of Valve

Sony

Any account name and password supplied to you in connection with fee-based content and/or service you purchase is personal to you and the members of your household, and you may not transfer or make available your account name and password to others, including, without limitation, your co-workers. Any distribution by you of such account name and password may result in cancellation of the fee-based content and/or service without refund and in additional charges based on unauthorized use.

So with all of that said, the trading of Steam or MMO accounts will not be allowed, unless it can be proven it does not violate the ToS.

If you have any questions or concerns about this, please feel free to PM me or one of the the other mods.

KT

Synxz

Oct 26, 2008
Originally posted by: Andrew1990
Dirt (Doesnt work with my Vista64)
Actualy i completed DIRT on vista 64bit ultimate so i dont see why it shouldnt work? Check drivers.

Reply moved from the trade thread, quote added.

-Schadenfroh (AT Mod)

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
Originally posted by: JPB
AdamK47

While I understand what you mean. If someone is wanting to accept money for said game, then it should probably be posted in the Forsale/Trade forum.

But what if their intention is to trade, not sell, yet they get a PM from someone offering to buy it?
Should that person turn down money if it's offered?
Should the individual that wants to buy it make a WTB thread and pm the thread to the person offering it up for trade?
Should the person offering it up not even offer it up if they would accept an monetary offer?

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: bunker
Originally posted by: JPB
AdamK47

But what if their intention is to trade, not sell, yet they get a PM from someone offering to buy it?
Should that person turn down money if it's offered?
Should the individual that wants to buy it make a WTB thread and pm the thread to the person offering it up for trade?
Should the person offering it up not even offer it up if they would accept an monetary offer?

This is just my opinion, but I think if someone receives an unsolicited offer to purchase their game as a result of that thread, they are welcome to sell it and just remove it from their exchange list, with no mention of the selling in the thread. At the same time, if someone is listing items in the exchange thread, then asking for monetary compensation once someone offers a trade, then that is something that should be brought to the attention of the moderators as it goes against the overall intent of this endeavour.

KT

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

This is just my opinion, but I think if someone receives an unsolicited offer to purchase their game as a result of that thread, they are welcome to sell it and just remove it from their exchange list, with no mention of the selling in the thread. At the same time, if someone is listing items in the exchange thread, then asking for monetary compensation once someone offers a trade, then that is something that should be brought to the attention of the moderators as it goes against the overall intent of this endeavour.

KT

This

TAandy

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2002
half pissed?
how do you exchange games?
no, i haven't read the entire thread :eek:

ryan256

Platinum Member
Jul 22, 2005
Originally posted by: ZappDogg
I sold Bioshock after activating it once. Told the buyer before the transaction, who stated it wasn't a problem.

Activation shouldn't tie you to the game, unless you are required to make some sort of online account (like Spore).

Actually you don't HAVE to make an online account. I have a copy of Spore that is not tied to any online account. As a result my game doesn't get any user created content and is limited to what Maxis has already included.