Just bought a Dell 4500 with following spec:

P4,1.8AGHZ
128MB DDR SDRAM AT 266MHZ,TIED
32MB ATI RAGE ULTRA 4X AGP VIDEO
20GB 7200 RPM ULTRA ATA,TIED
WIN XP HOME,ENG,DIM,TIED
48X MAX VARIABLE CD-ROM DRIVE
INTEGRATED ADI 1885 AUDIO,TIED

I want to upgrade to a video editing machine (mostly convert my old Super VHS/Hi8mm home video to DVD). What do I need to add besides more memory and a bigger hard drive?

Thanks,

KC

thecrews

Feb 26, 2001
Make sure that the bigger hard drive is a faster one (7200RPM). I've noticed that video editing is most taxing on the hard drives than anything else.

kexicao

Jul 31, 2002
What is yer budget on this project?

I am not sure. Just don't want to go crazy on this whole thing. I only paid $389 for the computer including shipping. I also just got an Xtasy Everything card from ubid. But I am not sure if I want to keep it because a quite number of people reported that they are having problems with it. Any suggestions?

KC

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
Time for shameless plug :) It just so happens that I am selling something that could be of use to you. Link

Lethal

EDIT: Fixed link

tart666

Golden Member
May 18, 2002
Here's some suggestions:

Hardware MPEG2 encoder (Hauppage WinTV line)
Serious amount of memory (0.5G at least)
Dual harddrives. NOT RAID, just separate drives for source and target files during encoding.
Oh yeah, might as well get a DVD burner while you are at it. Pioneer 104 seems like a good bet these days for about $250.

Other than that you are doing good.

T

kexicao

Jul 31, 2002
Time for shameless plug It just so happens that I am selling something that could be of use to you. Link

Couldn't get the link to work. Couldn't login.

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: kexicao
Time for shameless plug It just so happens that I am selling something that could be of use to you. Link

Couldn't get the link to work. Couldn't login.

D'oh! sorry 'bout that. Fixed link in original post. :)

Lethal