Video Editing Software

JC0133

Nov 2, 2010
I am looking to learn some video editing software to start video editing video games. Maybe get into some content creation.

Anyone know of some good free video editing software.

My Laptop is about 3-4 years old. I need to get a new one soon but don't have the money now.

SPECS:
ASUS G752VT
Windows 10 home 64-bit OS
Processor Intel i7 Core 2.6 GHz
RAM 24 gigs

Video Card is Geforce GTX 970M
924 MHz
RAM 6 gigs DDR5

I don't know if this is good enough to run some decent video editing software but if so can someone please recommend me a couple and why.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
obsproject if your looking to stream or record. I have a friend that streams on twitch and he uses this program. https://obsproject.com/

I can't comment on if your machine can handle it. I don't think it does editing though. Sometimes humblebundle does bundled paid software apps for a decent price ($30 or under). Hopefully others will comment.

JC0133

Nov 2, 2010
Ok I know about OBS.

ok so I looked at some editing software but I am realizing I don't really understand some of the pros that some of the software is promoting. I looked up video editing basics on youtube and google but they are talking about jump cut scenes and even referencing what cameras to use.

So I figured I want to say what I would like to do as of right now with the software and ask for someone to explain some of these concepts to me.

The 4 free ones that seems interesting below:

Light works says it has high precision video trimming.

Shotcut says it has Native Timeline editing with 4K support

DaVinci Resolve Says it has advanced trimming and color correction

Hitfilm Express says it has video filtering with layers and masking.

I am realizing I don't really know what most of this stuff means. So if someone can explain some of these concepts and what some core video editing concepts are in general to me. And here is a list of what I want to be able to do right now. I might want more in the future.

So what I would like to do this point is create and modify thumbnails(don't know if this really counts in the video editing section).

I want to be able to release my videos with a good quality on youtube. I have heard that it can cause issues on youtube if you don't drop your videos with the proper resolution or the bitrate.

I want to be able to add text to the video while I am explaining things.

I want to be able to take multiple videos and pull certain scenes out and make one video that flows smoothly.

I want to be able to modify music and sound effects on the video

Lastly I want to be able to make a video of me watching someone else video, and pausing it and basically being able to use a marker or pen to write on the video sent to me to explain things and then resume it.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
you have no idea what headache it is to try to make decent youtube videos. i would recommend you put a bit of money aside and buy a proper editor such a Sony Vegas or Powerdirector, they fluctuate around $50-100. Vegas Movie Studio 16 is only £16 right now.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
you have no idea what headache it is to try to make decent youtube videos. i would recommend you put a bit of money aside and buy a proper editor such a Sony Vegas or Powerdirector, they fluctuate around $50-100. Vegas Movie Studio 16 is only £16 right now.

\I've seen some including Sony Vegas in Humble Bundles I think.