Video doesnt play back in windows MCE, plays fine out of MCE

Midnight

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I just built a windows MCE box. Its a 3.2 ghz 1gb ram MCE machine.

Installed in the AGP slot is a 64 mb matrox dual head dvi p650 graphics card. I have installed the latest matrox drivers.

Ive installed the necessary video codes.

The playback of avi/divx movies is fine if i launch them in windows media player. When I try to select them within windows media **center** they will not play at all.

Its like the launch but dont start playing. I click them and it immediately puts up the stop/restart choices.

I can hear the video trying to play. The screen sort of flickers etc. I know the files are right. I know the machine can more than handle the video playback flawlessly.

It can do it outside of media center.

I get no error like you cant use this card with MCE etc. I had that issue with another card.

Thanks for the help!

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
uninstall all the codecs you installed and dl the most recent FFDshow from afterdawn-they usually have the most recent ones up- then get halli media splitter from them as well. You may also need ac3 as well to properly play some the divx files floating around.

If your lazy you can download the vista codec pack since it has a matroska and ac3 decoder bundled, its a tad bloaty for my tastes but ymmv.

MC

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
after dawn just hosts files (useful ones, for many things), you can make sure you get the newest version by getting it from the source... here is the actual source for the FFDshow tryouts (the original FFDshow stopped updating long ago, tryouts is a new project that took over, since it was open source)

http://sourceforge.net/project...es.php?group_id=173941

Install both the 64bit version (latest you find) AND the 32bit version... a 64bit media player can ONLY use 64bit codecs, and a 32bit media player can ONLY use 32bit codecs.
Maybe MCE is 64bit and thus cannot find the 32bit codecs you installed.

Midnight

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
hey guys thanks for the responses. I should have said Im not running vista, im running windows xp MCE.

I tried the new ffdshow, the new splitter etc. Im still having the same video issues.

What boggles my mind is this is my second MCE box with the exact same installs, same codecs. The first machine was a much slower machine with a 128 mb 6600 graphics card, this install is a 64mb p650 matrox card.

The first machine was fine, everything went smoothly. At first I thought maybe the 64mb card couldnt handle the playback but it works fine out of MCE.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
It's entirely possible that the Matrox card has problems with MCE anyhow, even if it seems to work fine. I'd try another card.