Video card suggestion for older system

Siltin

Jan 6, 2001
Hi all, looking for a bit of advice.

Might be looking to upgrade the video card in my system. Currently running a P3-800 with 512MB of RAM with a TNT2 Ultra on an Asus P3B-F motherboard. I don't have near the time to game that I used to so as such I am way out of the loop as far as upgrading is concerned. The ONLY reason I am looking to a possible upgrade is because of Neverwinter Nights as I expect this to be about the only game I play for a while(again, just not much time to play so picking one game and sticking with it).

Anyway, what would be a decent card to pick up for a good price? Looking at spending around $100. Cheap by most people's standards, but then again, my caring about FPS days are WAY behind me now. I'm simply looking to cheaply upgrade the performance of my video as I expect I'll need a little boost to play NWN and have a decent video card to last another year or two.

Would a GeForce 4 MX card be the way to go, or with my lowly 800MHZ processor, would a GeForce2 MX type card be good? The GeForce 3 cards I see are still a little more money than I wanna spend.

--==EDIT==--

Was doing some more reading about the MX line of cards, and understand they are not fully DX 8/8.1 compliant. Does this seem to be an issue in games...or do the few things the MX cards don't do in DX 8 really not a big deal? Also, how are the ATI line of value cards?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Siltin

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Get a Radeon 8500 or a GeForce 3 Ti200(Many can overclock to above Ti500 levels).