Video Card Power Connector Question

Bobsy

Jan 5, 2010
Hello all,

My PSU is a OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W. It comes with one 6-pin PCI-E connector as well as one 6+2-pin PCI-E connector.

I would like to upgrade my integrated graphics by adding a GTX 460 GPU in my computer. The GTX 460 requires two 6-pin PCI-E connectors.

Question, which you already guessed I am sure: how can I provide power to the GPU?

From the picture of the contents of the video card box (http://bit.ly/bDZvyJ), it looks like there is some sort of Molex-to-6pinPCIE converter. Looks like two Molex connectors are needed to power one PCI-E connector.

Basically, will my PSU allow me to power the video card correctly? Thanks.

Jun 6, 2010
You don't need to use any converter. Your PSU has all the connectors that you need. You can use the (6+2)-pin conector as a 6-pin connector, so you have two 6-pin PCIe connectors to power the GTX460.

Bobsy

Jan 5, 2010
I should have looked at the modular connectors before asking such a dumb question. I just did and found that, as you all know, the 6+2 is exactly that: a 6-pin with a 2-pin that you can just leave aside. This is not like a 8-pin connector. Alright, problem solved!