Video Card Manufacturers

Titan2k

Feb 9, 2004
Is there a difference between manufacturers when it comes to video card specs? Is one manufacturer better than another?

I was looking on New Egg today for a graphics card for the system I'm building and I noticed some noticeable differences in prices for cards that should be the same.

Lets compare two for an example. Card 1 and Card 2. The price difference isn't huge but I have seen cards with the same specs for much higher prices elsewhere.

In regards to nVidia cards I see a lot of EVGA, MSI, PNY, and BFG. Do you have a preference? If so, why?

Thanks for your replies.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
evga or xfx are the best in my opinion. I'd go with evga for their step-up program

Boyo

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2006
eVGA all the way. For a number of reasons. They have a 90 day step-up program, a lifetime gaurantee, their RMA process is excellent. I recently had to RMA a 7900GT that I had for 7 months, and they accepted the RMA within one day and sent me an upgraded card as a replacment. A 7950GT 512MB.

Mar 10, 2007
Each manufacturer has the option of using their own cooling system as well as the ability to overclock the core/memory/shader of the card. Also, some have better warranties. For example, my aged 7800gt w/ lifetime warranty died a while back and XFX sent me a brand new 7950gt (likely because that was all they had in the warehouse) whereas the warranty may have expired from another company.

Roguestar

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Boyo
eVGA all the way. For a number of reasons. They have a 90 day step-up program, a lifetime gaurantee, their RMA process is excellent. I recently had to RMA a 7900GT that I had for 7 months, and they accepted the RMA within one day and sent me an upgraded card as a replacment. A 7950GT 512MB.

Damn. If I go for an nVidia card in the future it'll be with EVGA, just for that testimonial.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Most people's vendor preferences are based on card purchases made in the past. Your best bet is to evaluate the cards themselves rather than vendor reputation. I have never had trouble from eVGA, but XFX has had some pretty low-quality cooling solutions and boards in the past. Whether or not they have addressed that problem I do not know.

BFG is also a pretty good brand.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
most of them use a reference design, so however far they push it is up to them, possilby some may use better ram but i don't think so since even the o/c versions are only o/ced a bit. cooling solutions usually look like the reference design too.

like scoobydoo says:
The only real tangible difference between video card manufacturers these days are it's after-sales policy.

basically for as many horror stories you hear about a given company you hear about that many good stories. recently a member here had to do all kinds of stuff online to get evga to do him right, so even they have their faults

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Well, problem with eVGA is that for 2nd hand, they only give you 90 days warranty (instead of the lifetime). While XFX has lifetime warranty for even people who buy 2nd hand (good for hardware enthusiasts). Its really a toss up between them, BFG is also really nice.