Question Video card issue to diagnose

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
PC Working fine this morning. Afternoon, dead. power button, PS on and off, has no efffect. The only clue is, when PS is on, usb device lights go on. Homebuilt Windows 10. 2 years old. My guess: either fried PS or MB, but either of which allow power to USB devices. I have left it on 24x7 with case sides off so very dusty inside. Easy way to diagnose ideas?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I don't feel comfortable doing that; I was hoping the usb power info might help isolate. Absent that I might need to do it the hard way and try a new power supply. Any suggestions which one? Futureproof PC full size case.

Mr Evil

Jul 24, 2015
mrevil.asvachin.com
USB is powered by the 5V standby rail when the PC is off, so the PSU is at least not completely dead. That's not enough by itself to tell what's wrong though.

Testing a PSU by shorting those two wires is a very safe thing to do. Even if you got it wrong and shorted the wrong wires, the PSU is off, so most of the wires are unpowered.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I just have no idea what wires you are talking about. For the PS, load is gaming - RX 580 but could upgrade; SSD HS and VR. Corsair 'renewed' hx750i ($90 instead of $180 new) from Amazon is an option if that's right size (850 $100)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Great. I got the new PS above and unplugged the old one. The biggest plug is 9 pins wide, which went into a 9 pin slot on the old PS. The new one has no set of 9 pins anywhere, the longest is seven. Not even a slot labelled MB like the old one. Stuck.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
crap. that means a lot of replugging for the whole system, what a nightmare. If I'd known I should have bought the same PS again. I assumed it was standardized.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Well I'd say the PS issue is resolved. I did all the cable swapping to hook up the new PS and the system boots fine as far as basic power.

Now I'm getting nothing from the graphics card except its LED logo lights - no fan and nothing to the monitor. I had to move the HDMI from the GPU to the motherboard. What are the odds PS and GPU went bad at exactly the same time...

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Well I'd say the PS issue is resolved. I did all the cable swapping to hook up the new PS and the system boots fine as far as basic power.

Now I'm getting nothing from the graphics card except its LED logo lights - no fan and nothing to the monitor. I had to move the HDMI from the GPU to the motherboard. What are the odds PS and GPU went bad at exactly the same time...

Wouldn't be the first time a psu crapped out and took some other component with it...

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
My homebuilt PC has been generally running for 2 years. A few days ago, I found it powered off unable to power on. I took a guess between a fried PS and a fried MB, bought a new PS, and installed it and replaced the power cables in the system.

Doing that fixed the power problem, but the video card, a Sapphire RX 580, no longer worked. The LED lights on the card, but neither fan spins, and there is no video signal.

I moved the HDMI cable from the card to the MB in order to boot and use the system. I've tried the little things; moved the PS cable to a different slot (it's modular, Corsair HX750i); pushed the little button on the card, flipped the tiny switch on the card, made sure the cables are well fitted to the card, etc.

The card is dusty. But at this point it seems either there's something wrong I haven't isolated, or the card went bad at the same as the PS - the unlikely timing suggesting that if it did, maybe the PS fried the GPU when it went bad.

Other than the obvious - buy a new GPU and see if it works - does this give any info suggesting a diagnosis, or any other suggestions?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Well, the mod merged these two sequential issues... downside is having to scroll through a dozen irrelevant obsolete posts. Sorry for that, though I didn't do it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Ya, with this thread merge, who wants to read through a bunch of power supply issues in a graphics card forum thread? The mod might as well delete this, since it looks his merging the thread has destroyed a chance for a reply. Merge mania. A PC had an issue with a power supply, so an issue with a video card requires reading all about the previous issue for some reason.

You know you are not allowed to publicly question moderator actions.
If you have a concern, you post in Moderator Discussions.

This is two times in a row you've done this in this thread, so if you
quit doing that, it will be even less posts users have to read to help
you with your computer issue.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Funny, now the PS people are saying that they couldn't have broken the GPU, but that the GPU would have broken the PS, and 'they don't cover that', which I assume means they wouldn't even want to honor the PS warranty. And of course the GPU no doubt wouldn't want to take any responsibility if it damaged the PS.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Great. I got the new PS above and unplugged the old one. The biggest plug is 9 pins wide, which went into a 9 pin slot on the old PS. The new one has no set of 9 pins anywhere, the longest is seven. Not even a slot labelled MB like the old one. Stuck.
crap. that means a lot of replugging for the whole system, what a nightmare. If I'd known I should have bought the same PS again. I assumed it was standardized.
ugh. I have an old but new seasonic sries x and thought it would have pin combatability to the seasonicfocus. It doesn't.
With no standard for PSU connections, NEVER re-use cables from one unit to a different one.
Hate to say it, but if you connected a modular PSU, with a DIFFERENT modular PSU's cables connected, AND ACTUALLY POWERED UP, then yeah, you were using an "unsupported configuration" (one that was likely to fry something, and/or cause a fire), and IMHO, you voided all of your warranties at that moment anyways.

Next time, read the directions.