Video Card help... "Could not find any Direct3D devices"

SamSoccer7

Mar 15, 2000
I keep getting the message "Could not find any Direct3D devices" on a 3D screensaver, and games like Warcraft III cannot initialize DirectX even though it's installed automatically with XP, and I have also reinstalled it using a downloaded version. I have a Gainward GF4 ti4200 and have installed the latest Nvidia drivers from their site. What's my problem here and what can I do?

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Go Start - Run - dxdiag
Go to the display tab, and there should be a box with direct x features as the title.
In the box it has Direct 3D acceleration. Check the box by this says Disable (ie: by clicking the box you disable it). If the box says enable, click the box to enable it, this might be a problem. If you don't understand what I said, then i'll grab a screenie and highlight what I mean if you want, unless someone else can think of another solution.

SamSoccer7

Mar 15, 2000
Everything was enabled. The only thing is that is says the file nv4_disp.dll is not digitally signed. That line wasn't there, however, until I installed the 40.41 nvidia drivers. I've gone through dxdiag and tested everything, and it tells me everything is running fine. But... still no direct3d.