Video card going bad? Getting BSODs with Atikmdag.sys

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
This is on a Asus HD4350. This was happening awhile back on a Vista 32 bit install too. When W7 came out I upgraded to the Pro x64 version hoping it was something with Vista but the same thing is happening on Win7 too. It's in a HTPC and only used for 2D and video playback. In 2D it's completely stable but if I do anything video intensive, such as x264 playback or even scrolling through my movie collection in WMC I'll start getting "Video drivers has recovered" and a few seconds later a BSOD with something about atikmdag.sys and it'll automatically reboot.

I've tried putting in my 4850 from my main computer and it's completely stable. Trying the 4350 in my computer on a simple 3D game hard crashes it.

The weird thing is that it doesn't always does this. Some days I can watch movies/videos all day long and it won't BSOD once but on some days it's constantly one after another until I give up.

goldcrow

Nov 1, 2008
Had that same problem with the atikmdag.sys with my 4850 on a Windows Vista 64 OS. Reverted to XP SP3, same problems. Finally RMA'd the card and the replacement didn't have any such problems anymore. It seems like a hardware problem, something might be wrong with your video memory.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
I believe this used to be a common problem if you were running more than one monitor.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
I believe this used to be a common problem if you were running more than one monitor.

I have it going straight from htpc to my plasma via hdmi. Actually I have it going to my denon receiver for switching and audio decoding first but I don't think that has anything to do with it. It was still BSODing before when I had it going straight to the tv.