Video card displayport and HDMI died?

diyaz

May 18, 2016
Hi guys,

I have a AMD Radeon 6870. How often does a video card displayport and HDMI fail while the DVI still works? Long story short I had bought a refurb monitor from Dell and it was working for a week then the screen went dead. Dell replaced it and when I went back to plug the displayport back in it didn't work. I think the monitor could tell it was plugged in but said there is no signal. Same with HDMI. I double checked the HDMI with my laptop and it works so I know it's not the monitor.

I guess I'm worried the video card and monitor may have had some electrical problem and damaged each other?

TIA

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I suppose it is possible (although very rare) the monitor had a surge/spike and fry the video card's output ports... do you see any burn marks on the PCB of the video card?

diyaz

May 18, 2016
I will take the card out for a closer inspection when I get home.

only other weird thing was that when I touched my HDMI plug accidentally to my old desk lamp there was a loud crackle and bright arc. It burned the side of my HDMI cable. The monitor that was plugged into DVI at the time flickered and then came back. Lamp is fine. Now i'm not sure if that ruined the HDMI but I'm quite surprised it could carry that much current!

Electricians I asked think it was because my lamp is not grounded and grounded through the metal casing of the HDMI plug. It is an old two prong lamp so maybe but I tested it with a multimeter.