Video but no sound for Wii

Bran_non

Nov 21, 2010
After having my Wii hooked up to a different TV for a few months I decided to hook it up to my TV on the top floor with surround sound and what not.

This afternoon when I hooked up the Wii I got no video only sound from the Wii.

After following some directions I found online of how to fix this, unplug the Wii from the receiver and plug directly into tv then plug back into receiver, this fixed the issue.

Fastfoward to later this evening and I have the same problem again, but this time no matter what I changed out it refuses to give me video only audio again.

I have a Yamaha V463 receiver with an HDMI cable to the TV for video, a Fiber Optic cable to the tv for sound since the receiver does not do audio over HDMI, I also have a single video cable running from the back of the receiver in the monitor out port to the back of the tv to the video in.

I tried known working cables for the following with no positive results:

Different HDMI cable, different Video cable.

The Wii has video output when connected directly to the tv.

I am thinking either the receiver is starting to go out or the power issues in the room are getting worse due to to much load. There is only a 15 amp breaker powering the entire room, this is a rental so nothing I am willing to do about it.

Is there anyway to test the ports on the receiver or maybe a way to put a mutlimeter on the receiver and see what kind of voltage it is outputting.

Where would I put the meter at for this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
I read through this twice, so I hope I haven't missed something.

Is the wii connected by composite (yellow cable) or component (red green blue 3 cables) for video?

Do you know that the receiver will convert the video signal to hdmi, or to component (if you are on composite).

On the TV, are the component and hdmi cables you have plugged in assigned to different inputs ('video 2', 'video 3').

It sounds like you've probably got this stuff right, but it's the most likely cause.

If all else fails, plug the wii sound into the receiver, and the video straight into the TV, and it should work fine.

Bran_non

Nov 21, 2010
The Wii is connected to the receiver with the composite cables, 1 video and 2 audio.

I think I either have a power issue or my receiver is getting ready to go out.

Everything worked earlier this afternoon and then refuses to work this evening with no changes made.

I am not sure what the receiver will convert, as stated above it has worked in the past.

The HDMI is going into the HDMI 1 port on the rear of the tv from the HDMI out port on the receiver.

The Fiber Optic cable goes into the only spot for it on the tv from the back of the receiver and I have a single Video cable running from monitor out on the back of the receiver to video in on the back of the tv.

Only problem with plugging the cables from the Wii to the TV and receiver is that all the equipment sits behind the sofa so the cables are not nearly long enough.

Last edited:

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
The Wii is connected to the receiver with the composite cables, 1 video and 2 audio.

I think I either have a power issue or my receiver is getting ready to go out.

Everything worked earlier this afternoon and then refuses to work this evening with no changes made.

I am not sure what the receiver will convert, as stated above it has worked in the past.

The HDMI is going into the HDMI 1 port on the rear of the tv from the HDMI out port on the receiver.

The Fiber Optic cable goes into the only spot for it on the tv from the back of the receiver and I have a single Video cable running from monitor out on the back of the receiver to video in on the back of the tv.

Only problem with plugging the cables from the Wii to the TV and receiver is that all the equipment sits behind the sofa so the cables are not nearly long enough.

Usually there is an option to switch the different audio inputs for the different video inputs.

Make sure when you select the correct device on the receiver that the receiver is configured to switch to the correct audio input.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
The V463 does not upconvert other video signals to HDMI, to the best of my knowledge. If you have the Wii connected to the receiver via composite video, then you also need to run a composite video cable from the receiver to another input of the TV.

Bran_non

Nov 21, 2010
The strange thing is that it was working with the setup as described in my first post then after trying to use again will not work.

I think the receiver is going out.