Video Buffering/Freezing on 30Mbps Connection

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
So as the title says it. I have a 30Mbps connection that we just upgraded to last month but lately when I try to watch a video the stream stops and buffers, sometimes even for 10 minutes, just to watch a 5 minutes Youtube Video. I thought it was Youtube related but it happens when I watch TV using "MyDish Online" website and any other video website, like "South Park Studios"

We have Suddenlink and when this happens I'm the only one using the the bandwidth specially right now since there is no one else home.
Of course I can skip a little bit on what ever video I'm watching and it will get unstuck and start playing again, but I hate having to do that when I'm laying down watching TV on my PC from my bed.

Any suggestions would really help guys.

Thanks.
Speedtest_32mbs.png

z14yfjyt5

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
do you have a router.just asking i did get the same problem with 40mbps.and it was the router.but in the pass.i did get the same problem and it was my internet provider the problem.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
do you have a router.just asking i did get the same problem with 40mbps.and it was the router.but in the pass.i did get the same problem and it was my internet provider the problem.
Yes I have a Arris DG950 but I'm connected directly via Lan cable

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
ok i can see your browser are firefox and chrome.are they both doing this as default browser.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
ok i can see your browser are firefox and chrome.are they both doing this as default browser.

You know, I haven't really tried it to watch videos on Chrome being that Firefox is my main default browser. If it was Firefox what exactly could it be? if we were to go that direction with this.

EDIT: what I mean is that if it is Firefox related how can I fix the issue. Because having to open Chrome just for every time I want to watch a video is kinda aggravating.

Last edited:

TJCS

Nov 3, 2009
You know, I haven't really tried it to watch videos on Chrome being that Firefox is my main default browser. If it was Firefox what exactly could it be? if we were to go that direction with this.

EDIT: what I mean is that if it is Firefox related how can I fix the issue. Because having to open Chrome just for every time I want to watch a video is kinda aggravating.

The first thing you want to do is isolate and replicate the problem you are having. If you have Chrome installed, it would be wise to use it to help you troubleshoot.

Chrome has its own built-in flash, so if flash video runs fine in Chrome, then I am guessing it's probably your adobe flash plugin acting up in Firefox. You can also try ctrl+shift+delete in firefox and clean out all the temp stuff in your browser.

Try updating your adobe flash to the latest version, and if you are still having problems then try running firefox in safe mode.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Like the others have stated, try playing the same video in Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome. If they all lag then it's something else.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Dang sorry I didn't get email notifications until now (7:23PM)

I'm going to watch the final 2 part season finale of Fringe tonight using Chrome and see if the issue replicates. I will report in after that.
Thanks for the replies so far. I'll get back with you guys later on and with the results of using Chrome.

SDLshannon

Jan 24, 2013
So as the title says it. I have a 30Mbps connection that we just upgraded to last month but lately when I try to watch a video the stream stops and buffers, sometimes even for 10 minutes, just to watch a 5 minutes Youtube Video. I thought it was Youtube related but it happens when I watch TV using "MyDish Online" website and any other video website, like "South Park Studios"

We have Suddenlink and when this happens I'm the only one using the the bandwidth specially right now since there is no one else home.
Of course I can skip a little bit on what ever video I'm watching and it will get unstuck and start playing again, but I hate having to do that when I'm laying down watching TV on my PC from my bed.

Any suggestions would really help guys.

Thanks.
Speedtest_32mbs.png

z14yfjyt5

Hi EpicSurvivor- My name is Shannon and I am with Suddenlink. I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your internet and would be happy to help. Please feel free to contact me via email. My email is shannon-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com. Thanks!

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Either hold down the shift key when starting Firefox or use the "Restart with Add-ons Disabled" option under the Firefox help menu to get it in safe mode.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Sorry for getting back with you guys late. But I have an update. The Buffering/Freezing is happening not only on Firefox but also on Chrome, and on my Droid 3 over WiFi. That's why I hadn't replied I wanted to give it some time and do a couple of test. Seems to be something wrong with my internet/network.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I'm thinking you either have a defective modem, a wiring problem, or your provider has a network problem given that you have the problem on two different devices (i.e. computer + Droid3).

Have you tried to power cycle the modem? Also, did you see the post from SDLshannon above?

Last edited:

SFC_Mac

Dec 18, 2012
Is the router you're using also wireless and feeding the rest of your devices with connectivity? If so, sounds like maybe a router issue.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I'm thinking you either have a defective modem, a wiring problem, or your provider has a network problem given that you have the problem on two different devices (i.e. computer + Droid3).

Have you tried to power cycle the modem? Also, did you see the post from SDLshannon above?

If by power cycling the modem you mean unplugging it from the wall and reseting the unit for 30 seconds before plug in it back in? Then yes, yes I did.

Regarding SDLshannon I contacted one of the Forums Moderator asking if this individual should be trusted with personal information regarding my account being that he/she is a new member and there is no credential that would tell me that this "Rep" is in fact legit. So yes I did see it but I haven't attempted to establish any communication with the individual due to safety concerns.

Is the router you're using also wireless and feeding the rest of your devices with connectivity? If so, sounds like maybe a router issue.

Yes, there is one more Computer in the house that uses my wireless bandwidth, however I can confirm that the Freezing/Buffering Issue happens even when that computer is off or when no one else is home using it.

I'm connected directly to the router on this computer through the lan connection, and the router is less than 2 feet away from my Tower.
As for any other devices that might be using my Bandwidth, there is really none, just the other Computer I mentioned and my Droid 3 but the Droid is mostly idle, I don't use it too much.

NOTE: No one plays any type of video game on the other PC. Its mainly used for Emails and for solitary :D

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Wanted to mention something weird just happened to me. I was using Paint to edit a picture and I had Firfox up and running playing an Episode of Suits about half way through the episode. Suddenly my computer froze I tried Cntrl+Alt+Del and it would not respond, alt+f4 did nothing and enither did Alt+Tab. My computer completely froze this time. It was like windows 95 lol pretty bad actually, but I could still move the mouse around while the computer was completely locked up. After a good solid minute of waiting I tried Ctrl+Alt+Del and managed to get task manager up. Like the PC was on Hangtime of sorts?

However in the meantime my computer screen went black and suddenly when the image came back this notification appeared and quickly dissapeared but it said something like "Enabling Security...blah blah blah"? WTH is going on here?! :confused:

NOTE: Its not the first time something like this happened to me. In fact my Computer Completely LOCKED it self up back in November. That time I was forced to do a cold reboot, as it was the only way I managed to get the computer in an operational condition.

I don't use Torrents of any kind, and neither do I watch XXX material on my computer or use any other suspicious websites that could give me a Virus so I don't know what could be causing this.

Just being honest ^_^

Last edited:

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Ok. To figure out whether this might be something specifically related to your Windows installation, download any flavor of Linux live CD. Boot your machine with the Live CD and browse the Internet for a while. Watch some videos, and run a few speed tests on various sites. If the problem goes away, you can presume it is specific to your computer's Windows installation. On the other hand, if it is still happening (especially given that it is affecting multiple devices), you probably have another issue that is going to require Suddenlink to get involved.

So far as that weird error is concerned, it might not be a bad idea at all to run a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-malware or even an offline scan with Kapersky Rescue Disk or Avira's bootable rescue disc just to ensure you haven't picked up something exotic while viewing certain videos. Granted, with a 30 megabit connection, your machine could be very busy spewing out loads of SPAM for some Russian botnet. Such activities likely would have a...detrimental... effect on your overall network performance.

I don't blame you for being leery about the Suddenlink employee posting above, either. Once you determine the problem is not just with your machine (the live CD + virus scan should be definitive), you really might want to talk to Suddenlink locally about your problems.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
I have problems like this all the time. I've always had that problem with youtube ever since I first watched youtube. It's just retarded streaming code. Most video players are even worse than youtube. Videos will load up to a point and then just stop and never start again. You have to reload the page and then try to find where you left off. It's just buttf**** retarded and always has been.

And then you try another video and it works fine. Nothing is repeatable.

This is why videodownloader is one of the most popular firefox addons. It downloads the flv to your desktop so you can play it once its fully downloaded. Then you know you will be able to watch the damn thing without it refusing to buffer correctly.

videodownloader + dtAOneClick ftw!

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Ok. To figure out whether this might be something specifically related to your Windows installation, download any flavor of Linux live CD. Boot your machine with the Live CD and browse the Internet for a while. Watch some videos, and run a few speed tests on various sites. If the problem goes away, you can presume it is specific to your computer's Windows installation. On the other hand, if it is still happening (especially given that it is affecting multiple devices), you probably have another issue that is going to require Suddenlink to get involved.

So far as that weird error is concerned, it might not be a bad idea at all to run a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-malware or even an offline scan with Kapersky Rescue Disk or Avira's bootable rescue disc just to ensure you haven't picked up something exotic while viewing certain videos. Granted, with a 30 megabit connection, your machine could be very busy spewing out loads of SPAM for some Russian botnet. Such activities likely would have a...detrimental... effect on your overall network performance.

I don't blame you for being leery about the Suddenlink employee posting above, either. Once you determine the problem is not just with your machine (the live CD + virus scan should be definitive), you really might want to talk to Suddenlink locally about your problems.
Alright I don't think I will need to do the "Linux Live CD", because I can now confirm the issue is affecting the other computer as well. I sat on the living room computer and played around with it for about 30 minutes, updated bunch of drivers and stuff (Its not mine) and tried to watch some Youtube videos and Yahoo "News" videos and I encountered the same problem in fact I was just told by the other people who use it that they also have had this type of issue for the past week. So I believe I'm goign to call "Suddenlink" here soon.

Now regarding the "error" message, I'm going to download malwarebytes and give it a run. What I really should do is find my CD Key for my Kaspersky subscription and install it again on my computer. I think It still has over 4 months left in the subscription.

I have problems like this all the time. I've always had that problem with youtube ever since I first watched youtube. It's just retarded streaming code. Most video players are even worse than youtube. Videos will load up to a point and then just stop and never start again. You have to reload the page and then try to find where you left off. It's just buttf**** retarded and always has been.

And then you try another video and it works fine. Nothing is repeatable.

This is why videodownloader is one of the most popular firefox addons. It downloads the flv to your desktop so you can play it once its fully downloaded. Then you know you will be able to watch the damn thing without it refusing to buffer correctly.

videodownloader + dtAOneClick ftw!

Alright thanks, I'll also keep this in mind.