Vid Games Weapons: Whats..

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Just curious but what weapons in which games have really stood out. Here's mine:

• Favorite: Grav Gun from HL2. It was just so much fun throwing pieces of scenary around. Choping zombies in two throwing saw blades, catching combine grenades and tossing them back, hitting stuff with paint buckets. If it wasn't my favorite it would have been my most useful. Which leads me to...

• Most Useful: The M16 from Farcry. Decent damage, lots of ammo around. Zoomed in and lying prone it made a decent sniper rifle in a pinch on single shot. Full auto let you lay down suppresion fire when you ran into a bunch of baddies. All around great weapon.

• Most Powerful: Blaster launcher from XCOM (old turn based squad shooter circa 1994) Basically a shoulder fired cruise missle that you could set upto 9 waypoints for. So you could spot a bad guy behind a building a fire a shot through the second floor window down the stairs, hang a right out the window and blow a 50 ft crater right where the baddy was standing. Just awesome.

• Worst Weapon: Doom III pistol. Now I know the first weapon in a FPS always sucks but the Pistol in Doom III took the award for suckiest weapon. I mean weak, slow, low capacity and not all that accurate. Whats not to like right :disgust:

So whats yours?

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
probably the weapons of evil addon to UT2k4. god it was so much fun! maybe the portable ion cannon. regular weapons then lightning gun. god i was such a good sniper!

link to example

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Fav: Dual Enforcers from UT.

Me too--People were accusing me of using an aimbot LOL! I also liked the Razorjack (AKA "Ripper") because at that time, it was the only weapon that would move the victim--Annoyed the heck out of my opponents :evil:

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Fav: pump shottie from CS, but SP would be the Grav Gun
Least Fav: The stupid pistol from FarCry. It was ok... but it was nothing compared to a degele or even the usp...

Oct 4, 2004
I loved the Combat Shotgun and Grenades in F.E.A.R (but maybe the effect more than the weapons themselves)
I hated the Needler in Halo

The Crossbow in HL2 was fun - crouching, aiming for a Zombie's jugular and nailing them to the ceiling never got old. I once filled a room with like a score zombies, nailed to the ceiling through their neck. SWEET!

Edit: Almost all FPSs have Rocket Launchers but I'm having a hard time picking one that ruled them all. Now which one was it....?

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Paratus

• Most Powerful: Blaster launcher from XCOM (old turn based squad shooter circa 1994) Basically a shoulder fired cruise missle that you could set upto 9 waypoints for. So you could spot a bad guy behind a building a fire a shot through the second floor window down the stairs, hang a right out the window and blow a 50 ft crater right where the baddy was standing. Just awesome.

The disruptor cannon, and yes, it was ridiculously overpowered.

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
.223 Pistol from Fallout. Packed enough punch that in conjunction with an accurate aimed shot could blast through Power Armor.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Slew Foot
Originally posted by: Paratus

The disruptor cannon, and yes, it was ridiculously overpowered.
Yup, and after I memorized the alien base layout, I could nuke the command center from another level :D
It makes up for those damned brain jellyfish (Tentaculates) that turn your guys into zombies that after you shoot them, turn into more Tentaculates!!

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
fav: bio gun, unreal tournament (classic) ....it was fun, powerful, pissed people off :)
most powerful: redeemer, UT...owned everyone
most usefull: bazooka, Battlefield...nice when an unsuspeciting fleet of tanks came rolling by
worst weapon: assault rifel in GTA:VC...so freaking slow

Rayden

Jun 25, 2001
Most of the Serious Sam weapons are pretty sweet. The cannon has to take it though.

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Rayden
Most of the Serious Sam weapons are pretty sweet. The cannon has to take it though.

Oooh I forgot about that game. Yeah, those weapons were cool.

But why is everyone only talking about guns and projectile weapons? There's lots of other creative stuff out there. One of my favorite (non-gun) weapons is the Mega Flail from Ratchet: Deadlocked. That's a fun one to use! Also enjoyed the lava gun from Ratchet #3. Actually... Ratchet has a whole truckload of cool gadgets.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
The dual WSTE-M shotguns from Marathon 2: Durandal are easily the best. Just as powerful as Doom 2's doublebarreled shotgun, but you can shoot one after the other rapidly.

EDIT: Worst? The deringer from the original Hitman. Only holds four bullets, reloads slow, takes (IIRC) a whole clip to the head to kill, and doesn't have a firing sound. Total POS.

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
my favorite gun is still and will always be: ASMD from Unreal Tournament (the original!). Love that thing.

behind that: silenced SOCOM from MGS :p

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
I'm going against the grain of naming generic FPS weapons and going to say that weapons in Ratch & Clank > *. Been a while since I've played the game, but they are all pretty awesome when leveled to the max.