Sep 4, 2006
Intel i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Win 10
MSI z97 MB pci express x16 gen 3
16gb ram ddr3
gtx980
* 600w ps
VR...
The gtx is a champ but wanted to see what my options are to upgrade.
Budget under 300...
Its just been a long time since I upgraded so kind of lost all my (cough,cough) skills.
thxs

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You don't tell us what you current CPU is, or whether you're talking about just a GPU upgrade, or a whole PC or platform upgrade, and I'm the "troll"? Ok, sure, buddy.

And AFAIK, the GTX 16 series is around $190 for a vanilla 1660, around $250 for a 1660 Super, and around $280-320 for a GTX 1660ti.

None of which I am aware are that substantial of an upgrade to your GTX980, with your yet-unspecified CPU.

How about, you also tell us what games that you play, and what your current monitor resolution and refresh rate is, too? Not just for my sake, but for the "actual help" people...

Edit: You just "want something faster"? Look for a used 1080ti, for $500-600.
Edit: Might not be too wise to drop too much coin on a GPU now, on the eve of RDNA2 and NV's 7nm cards dropping later this year.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2006
**updated CPU. my monitor is a Sony X690E 55inch /HDR /60hz

And AFAIK, the GTX 16 series is around $190 for a vanilla 1660, around $250 for a 1660 Super, and around $280-320 for a GTX 1660ti.

None of which I am aware are that substantial of an upgrade to your GTX980, with your yet-unspecified CPU.

How about, you also tell us what games that you play, and what your current monitor resolution and refresh rate is, too? Not just for my sake, but for the "actual help" people...

** Steam VR/ COD:MW /Doom Eternal /SW Fallen Order...I just bought a Oculus Quest Headset . Playing the PCVR games made me think a GPU upgrade may help.

Edit: You just "want something faster"? Look for a used 1080ti, for $500-600.

**Now im think of just jumping on cloud gaming, Shadow works w/Steam and Quest and its $14/month using a 1080 gpu...
Since Ive been out of the game for so long, I had no idea the gpu were so expensive. I did hear alot bit coins users bought up alot of gpu's.
anyways thanks

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Since Ive been out of the game for so long, I had no idea the gpu were so expensive.
Yeah, sadly, they're not so cheap anymore. That was basically the gist of my (somewhat flippant, though not actually a troll) post, point being was that for $300, TODAY, you're not going to get substantially more GPU power than you already have, AND, if you were thinking of doing a whole platform upgrade for that price, FOGGEDABOUTIT.

Not trying to be harsh, just more realistic.

Honestly, and feel free to get a second opinion, but if you DO want to spend $$$ TODAY on a GPU, look into the used 1080ti cards. They pack a punch, still, especially for VR. And are, maybe, almost, affordable, on the used market.

(After the mining craze, GPU prices went way UP, but hardly came down, and NV made that sort of pricing, "the new normal" for GPUs. Yeah, I dislike it too. I own three GTX 1660ti cards, still mining a little bit, but they were pricey, compared to what that class of card would have gone for five years ago.)

Edit: I don't know how well the Haswell i7 4C/8T works with modern VR titles, I simply have no experience or desire to experience them. But for "normal 3D" gaming, the Haswell i7 OCed is still fairly potent. You could improve things with a Ryzen 7 3700X or 3900X, and an X570 board, and 16-32GB of DDR4-3600 (what I would recommend for an platform upgrade), but that would probably have to be done in conjunction with a GPU upgrade, to make the most of it, otherwise, you might be GPU-limited still).

Either way, though, you won't be getting a 1080ti (even used) or a 3900X / X570 / 32GB DDR4-3600 for $300. Maybe each component...

Last edited: