Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shoots man... More to come.

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
am i the only non-conserviative who doesn't give a rat's ass about this?
seriously what the hell is wrong with our impotent media that a non-story such as this gets their panties in a wad? out of all of the half-truths, misrepresentation, blatant lies and back door dealings, this is what the meida gets in a frenzy over? this country is so retarded. who cares what he does in his spare time? unless he shot the guy on purpose (a claim no one is making) why the hell does it matter? the only people who should care are the PETA members who are probably getting a good laugh out of this.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Well you know Cheney admitted to having had a beer at lunch. By admitting so he doesn't have to admit that he and the whole hunting party got toasted later. And what other reason would there be for not being interviewed by local authorities until a day later except to avoid a sobriety test.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
ZOMG!!! It's an epidemic!!!

Man Shot In Accident After Laughing At Cheney

(AP) LAFAYETTE, Colo. Hours after laughing about Vice President Dick Cheney's hunting mishap, Josh Kayser was himself shot by a friend during a hunting expedition.

The 21-year-old Lafayette man was taken to the hospital Monday night after his girlfriend accidentally shot him while they were trailing a raccoon that had been preying on chickens on his family's property.

"I read that thing about the vice president and said to myself 'how can you shoot your friend with your gun?' And look what happened," he said Tuesday.

Kayser was crouched down to look under a shed where he thought a wounded raccoon was hiding, and his 17-year-old girlfriend accidentally shot him with a .22-caliber rifle. Police have not identified the girlfriend.

OH NO. Was he a rebublican?? If not then it's not news, LOL! ;)

if you think that the reason this is news is because the VP involved was a REPUBLICAN you are just too stupid to be alive. :roll:

ANY VP Democrat OR Republican shooting a person WOULD BE NEWS.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
ZOMG!!! It's an epidemic!!!

Man Shot In Accident After Laughing At Cheney

(AP) LAFAYETTE, Colo. Hours after laughing about Vice President Dick Cheney's hunting mishap, Josh Kayser was himself shot by a friend during a hunting expedition.

The 21-year-old Lafayette man was taken to the hospital Monday night after his girlfriend accidentally shot him while they were trailing a raccoon that had been preying on chickens on his family's property.

"I read that thing about the vice president and said to myself 'how can you shoot your friend with your gun?' And look what happened," he said Tuesday.

Kayser was crouched down to look under a shed where he thought a wounded raccoon was hiding, and his 17-year-old girlfriend accidentally shot him with a .22-caliber rifle. Police have not identified the girlfriend.

OH NO. Was he a rebublican?? If not then it's not news, LOL! ;)

if you think that the reason this is news is because the VP involved was a REPUBLICAN you are just too stupid to be alive. :roll:

ANY VP Democrat OR Republican shooting a person WOULD BE NEWS.

I was being sarcastic about the fact that it happened again. :D

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit[/

We have a system you see. The SS is there to protect the VP from assasains, not to enforce local law. Unless they had reason to believe that the Deputy Sheriff was there to shoot Cheney, they overstepped their bounds. No one is above the law.
[/quote]

You are wrong here sir, should the feds choose to get involved, they override any, and all local authorities. Overstepping?, above the law? like it or not, they ARE the law! that IS the system.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: runzwithsizorz
You are wrong here sir, should the feds choose to get involved, they override any, and all local authorities. Overstepping?, above the law? like it or not, they ARE the law! that IS the system.
http://www.secretservice.gov/mission.shtml
MISSION STATEMENT

The United States Secret Service is mandated by statute and executive order to carry out two significant missions: protection and criminal investigations. The Secret Service protects the President and Vice President, their families, heads of state, and other designated individuals; investigates threats against these protectees; protects the White House, Vice President?s Residence, Foreign Missions, and other buildings within Washington, D.C.; and plans and implements security designs for designated National Special Security Events. The Secret Service also investigates violations of laws relating to counterfeiting of obligations and securities of the United States; financial crimes that include, but are not limited to, access device fraud, financial institution fraud, identity theft, computer fraud; and computer-based attacks on our nation?s financial, banking, and telecommunications infrastructure.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: runzwithsizorz

We have a system you see. The SS is there to protect the VP from assasains, not to enforce local law. Unless they had reason to believe that the Deputy Sheriff was there to shoot Cheney, they overstepped their bounds. No one is above the law.

You are wrong here sir, should the feds choose to get involved, they override any, and all local authorities. Overstepping?, above the law? like it or not, they ARE the law! that IS the system.[/quote]

No, in state matters, the state is the law. Game laws are a state matter.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
I heard on the news this evening that he refused to be interviewed because his voice was hoarse. Told the police that he would send them a written statement next week when he got back to his office.

I wonder if that is an option for everyone during an investigation? Uhhh, I have constipation...can you stop back in three weeks once the elixar has kicked in?

Edit: Quoted wrong post

Votingisanillusion

Nov 6, 2004
SCIENTIFIC PROOF CHENEY'S SHOOTING STORY A LIE (10 minute video included)
http://infowars.com/articles/us/cheney_shooting_scientific_proof.htm
Harry Whittington Shooting Ballistics Tested, Cheney shot at Whittington from 15 feet not 90 as claimed.
Alex Jones and his crew have now scientifically proven with an engineer and a police officer on-site conducting the test that the American people are being lied to and a cover-up is in progress.

JDrake

Banned
Dec 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Sheik Yerbouti
Originally posted by: joedrake
Originally posted by: johngute
hopefully it was Bush he was hunting with
Bush is too smart to hunt with Cheney :thumbsup:

No offense, but using bush and smart in the same sentence is like using Charles Manson and mentally stable in the same sentence.
:roll: Democrat fanboy

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Did anyone see Chris Matthews? He made a really good point. The size of the birdshot could not have "traveled" to the guys heart as it was way to big. He must have been shot in the heart. Its the only way for the birdshot to have gotten there. And it must have shown up in the x-ray that it was in his heart from the beginning.
Hence, more lying and deceit.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I now believe Cheneys whole story about what happened is a lie.
Since ballistics tests show he must have shot the guy from a very close distance.
Plus the fact that the birdshot penetrated all the way to the guys heart.
It seems clear to me know that there must have been some kind of accidental discharge of Cheneys gun. My guess he was carrying it in an unsafe manner and stumbled and the gun went off.
The fact that they made point to say Cheney had "only" one beer seems designed to head off the expected disclosure that Cheney had been drinking.
Thats my theory.

And I want to remind everyone I expected Cheney to resign before the end of his term so they could get their chosen next presidential candidate into office long enough to give him a head start on the other candidates.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by: techs
Since ballistics tests show he must have shot the guy from a very close distance.
It seems clear to me know that there must have been some kind of accidental discharge of Cheneys gun. My guess he was carrying it in an unsafe manner and stumbled and the gun went off.
The fact that they made point to say Cheney had "only" one beer seems designed to head off the expected disclosure that Cheney had been drinking.
Thats my theory.

And I want to remind everyone I expected Cheney to resign before the end of his term so they could get their chosen next presidential candidate into office long enough to give him a head start on the other candidates.

Only one beer

Jun 27, 2005
Thats my theory.

So they shot a guy? Get a grip man. Wouldn't it have been infinitely easier (and safer - and less politically damaging) to just have him step down for health reasons? The guy has a bum tricker. Nobody would have even questioned the decision.

Some of you people here seriously need to just back up and stay away from the conspiracy web sites for a bit.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Did anyone see Chris Matthews? He made a really good point. The size of the birdshot could not have "traveled" to the guys heart as it was way to big. He must have been shot in the heart. Its the only way for the birdshot to have gotten there. And it must have shown up in the x-ray that it was in his heart from the beginning.

i was thinking that whenever i heard about the piece of shot that migrated to the heart. but, when you think about the anatomy and where he was shot, it is likely that one of the shots entered the jugular vein and when someone applied pressure and stopped the bleeding, the shot could have become entrapped within the venous system. the main cause of m.i. (myocardial infarction, aka "heart attack") is occlusion, whether by plaque, severed vessel, or whatever (your platelets don't know the difference between an opening in the vessel wall and a thick plaque blocking the bloodflow).

whenever that happens, your platelets adhere to whatever is occluding the bloodflow (because, again, they don't know that it's not a tear in the vessel, so they try repairing something that's not torn). your heart then has to work double-time to counteract the slow flow into the heart. whenever your muscles work, they produce lactate, which becomes lactic acid, but it's such a small amount and is cleared out so fast that it doesn't do anything... unless it's constantly overexerted (this is why whenever you work out, your muscles fatigue and you can't lift any more at the end of your set... your body can't get rid of the rapid amounts of lactic acid your muscles are producing and the acid works to shut off the pathway for creating energy because that's what makes the lactate).

this could have cause enough of a blockage to caused the heart to work too hard (because it's trying to create the atp it needs to pump and creates lactate as the byproduct, just like i mentioned in the previous paragraph), which causes a rapid increase in the heart's lactic acid generation, which causes a decrease in atp production, which causes the muscle to stop working, which causes a heart attack.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
His heart problem was actually atrial fibrillation, not MI. The pellet was pushing against the wall of the heart, causing it. No pellet in the jugular to the heart.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: eits

i was thinking that whenever i heard about the piece of shot that migrated to the heart. but, when you think about the anatomy and where he was shot, it is likely that one of the shots entered the jugular vein and when someone applied pressure and stopped the bleeding, the shot could have become entrapped within the venous system. the main cause of m.i. (myocardial infarction, aka "heart attack") is occlusion, whether by plaque, severed vessel, or whatever (your platelets don't know the difference between an opening in the vessel wall and a thick plaque blocking the bloodflow).

whenever that happens, your platelets adhere to whatever is occluding the bloodflow (because, again, they don't know that it's not a tear in the vessel, so they try repairing something that's not torn). your heart then has to work double-time to counteract the slow flow into the heart. whenever your muscles work, they produce lactate, which becomes lactic acid, but it's such a small amount and is cleared out so fast that it doesn't do anything... unless it's constantly overexerted (this is why whenever you work out, your muscles fatigue and you can't lift any more at the end of your set... your body can't get rid of the rapid amounts of lactic acid your muscles are producing and the acid works to shut off the pathway for creating energy because that's what makes the lactate).

this could have cause enough of a blockage to caused the heart to work too hard (because it's trying to create the atp it needs to pump and creates lactate as the byproduct, just like i mentioned in the previous paragraph), which causes a rapid increase in the heart's lactic acid generation, which causes a decrease in atp production, which causes the muscle to stop working, which causes a heart attack.

Actually there was more to what Matthews said. The size of the shot would have had to enter a vein of certain size. In order to enter the vein it would have left a puncture so big that there would have been massive hemorraging, etc. He seemed to have very good evidence which he got from a number of sources, doctors and ballistics experts.

And as to the conspiracy theory, whoozerdaday, I don't think and never said they guy was shot anything but accidentally. I was just re-iterating my long held theory in light of what happened. In other words, I wonder if this will be the excuse for him to resign (I doubt it) but I still think he will resign at the most appropriate time to name the next Republican candidate for President.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: eits

Actually there was more to what Matthews said. The size of the shot would have had to enter a vein of certain size. In order to enter the vein it would have left a puncture so big that there would have been massive hemorraging, etc. He seemed to have very good evidence which he got from a number of sources, doctors and ballistics experts.

And as to the conspiracy theory, whoozerdaday, I don't think and never said they guy was shot anything but accidentally. I was just re-iterating my long held theory in light of what happened. In other words, I wonder if this will be the excuse for him to resign (I doubt it) but I still think he will resign at the most appropriate time to name the next Republican candidate for President.

there wouldn't necessarily be massive bleeding if a piece of shot went into the jugular vein. you'd just be extremely lucky if it didn't puncture the common carotid, as well (as they and the vagus nerve travel together in the carotid sheath and the artery is more anterior than the vein). pressure on the vein will cause the bleeding to stop... it's the arterial bleeding that's the tricky part.

the jugular vein is a pretty good sized vein. the subclavian vein is even larger... on a cadaver, you'd able to stick your pinky finger right down in there. maybe it would have gone in there instead *shrug*

the fact that he had an acute myocardial infarction due to atrial fibrillation isn't really too important. it just means that his atria were pumping irregularly. if the shot could have caused on occlusion or some type of ischemia, the baroreceptors in the aortic arch tell the brain how the atria should pump. obstructed bloodflow can cause that response.

just so everyone knows, i'm trying to make sense of the heart attack if someone got shot with birdshot from 30 yards away. those pellets wouldn't have enough force behind them to go through the chest cavity and embed itself into the heart. plus, i think the doctors at the hospital would have seen it in the heart on x-rays. the only real logical explanation i can come up with is that the pellet migrated and caused the heart attack.

Votingisanillusion

Nov 6, 2004
Cheney can thank the corporate media.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200602140016

Media overlook unanswered questions and inconsistencies in Cheney shooting disclosure

Media Matters | February 15 2006

Summary: Media reporting on the delay between when Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot one of his hunting partners and the public disclosure of that information have overlooked unanswered questions and inconsistent accounts of how the incident was revealed to the press.

In recent days, media reporting on the delay between when Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot one of his hunting partners and the public disclosure of that information have overlooked unanswered questions and inconsistent accounts of how the incident was revealed to the press. Many media outlets have uncritically repeated the White House claim that the Vice President's Office was solely responsible for the delayed announcement of the accident, without noting that White House senior adviser Karl Rove discussed the accident with his longtime friend Katharine Armstrong, the host of the hunting expedition, the night before she disclosed it to a Corpus Christi, Texas, newspaper. Other media reported that Armstrong said she conferred with Cheney before disclosing the story but failed to note that this account conflicts with initial reports that Armstrong said Cheney was not aware that she was going to contact the local media.

Media overlooked Armstrong's conflicting accounts of whether she coordinated with Cheney
Many news outlets uncritically reported Armstrong's claim that she obtained Cheney's approval before revealing the story to the Corpus Christi Caller-Times on February 12, without mentioning that this version of events conflicts with initial reports that Armstrong said Cheney had been unaware that she was going to contact the local media about the accident. For example, a February 14 New York Times article reported that Armstrong "said Mr. Cheney participated in discussions on Sunday morning about disclosing the incident, agreeing that it should be made public but deferring to the Armstrong family on how to do so." A February 14 Washington Post article similarly reported:

In a telephone interview, Armstrong said that she, her mother and her sister, Sara Storey Armstrong Hixon, decided on Sunday morning after breakfast to report the shooting accident to the media. "It was my family's own volition, and the vice president agreed. We felt -- my family felt and we conferred as a family -- that the information needed to go public. It was our idea," Armstrong said.

As Media Matters for America has documented, CNN White House correspondent Suzanne Malveaux reported on February 13 that Armstrong "told CNN that she did not believe the Vice President's Office was aware that she was going to go to the local press." Malveaux challenged White House press secretary Scott McClellan to why Armstrong's account differed from that of the White House, which claimed that Armstrong had coordinated with Cheney before contacting the press. By contrast, National Review White House correspondent Byron York wrote that day that Armstrong told National Review Online that "she did not coordinate with the vice president's office before calling the Corpus Christi paper," but later simply printed an "author's note" relaying the administration's account without indicating any attempt to resolve the apparent discrepancy. Media Matters also documented that CNN White House correspondent Dana Bash -- while reporting the White House claim that Armstrong went to the press only after conferring with Cheney -- failed to note the apparent contradiction her colleague Malveaux had identified.

Media ignored Rove's involvement while reporting that Vice President's Office was solely responsible for delayed disclosure
Several outlets reported that White House officials acknowledged that Rove, widely seen as the Bush administration's public relations and political guru, discussed Cheney's hunting accident with Armstrong the night before Armstrong told the Corpus Christi Caller-Times about it. For example, The New York Times reported on February 14 that Rove "called Ms. Armstrong to ask about the incident," while The Washington Post reported the same day that Rove was "told of the shooting Saturday night but deferred to Cheney on providing information to the public, White House aides said."

Another report, citing unnamed Republican officials, suggested that Rove was indeed involved in discussing how information about the accident would be released but ultimately deferred to Cheney. In a February 13 Web exclusive report for Time magazine, White House correspondent Mike Allen cited unnamed "Republican sources" to report that Cheney "overruled the advice of several members of the White House staff" -- including Rove -- by "insist[ing] on sticking to a plan for releasing information about his hunting accident that resulted in a 20-hour, overnight delay in public confirmation of the startling incident."

Other evidence suggests that Rove had an established personal relationship with the Armstrong family before his call to Katharine Armstrong over the hunting flap. According to an article in the May 12, 2003, edition of The New Yorker, Armstrong's father, Tobin Armstrong, was "an early financier" of Rove's first business venture:

Rove had the imprimatur of Texas's Republican aristocracy from the beginning, through his connection to the Bush family and to [Governor Bill] Clements. An early financier of Karl Rove + Company was Tobin Armstrong, the owner of a Texas ranch (it was on land leased from Armstrong Rove and Bill Frist were planning to go hunting) and the husband of Anne Armstrong, a former Republican Cabinet officer.

Despite the fact that Rove -- who serves as President Bush's primary political adviser -- spoke with Armstrong before she notified the media of the shooting, many in the media have simply accepted the White House's claim that Cheney's office was completely responsible for determining when and how the press would be notified. For example, on the February 13 broadcast of CBS Evening News, White House correspondent Jim Axelrod neglected to mention Rove's involvement in the story while reporting that "the decisions affecting who knew what when" were "being made on the ground in Texas by the vice president," and that "the decision to have the ranch owner [Armstrong] call her local paper to let the general public know of the shooting, that was Mr. Cheney's choice as well."