[vg24/7]wh40k: space marine breaks out the big guns.. new MP DLC features dready!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Damn, now I'm more interested than ever in the WH40k Dark Millenium MMORPG that's coming out. It's not til 2013 so heretofore I wasn't looking at it too closely...

Would be nice if it was a huge PvP game where over a few years player actions could decide what canonically happens in the WH universe.

Edit: I just hope it isn't another WoW clone in design...anyone know?

Last edited:

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
I believe the only time where player actions affect the canon is during the tabletop competitions but even then I believe they're closely guided in that you'll never have a situation where the balance between all factions are at risk.

Other than that I would not like to see the canon affected by an MMO simply because it's not mainly about the random masses vying for control and the most interesting stories come from characters that the writers develope and flesh out over time and I don't see that happening in an MMO and would not want the players actions to affect said characters.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
I believe the only time where player actions affect the canon is during the tabletop competitions but even then I believe they're closely guided in that you'll never have a situation where the balance between all factions are at risk.

Other than that I would not like to see the canon affected by an MMO simply because it's not mainly about the random masses vying for control and the most interesting stories come from characters that the writers develope and flesh out over time and I don't see that happening in an MMO and would not want the players actions to affect said characters.

Well...not necessarily that it would affect the canonicity of the books but that you could affect the ongoing status of game itself. ie, it should be a slow process but eventually you could for example make the emperor be dead.

I've read the lex entry on the emperor several times but I somehow missed the part about millions of psykers being forcibly sacrified to him...I tend to play evil characters anyway(Innoruuk characters in EQ, Empire in TOR), so why not be a Chaos character in a WH40k MMO...

Again, assuming it's not going to be some WoW clone or similarly noobed up game.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
Well...not necessarily that it would affect the canonicity of the books but that you could affect the ongoing status of game itself. ie, it should be a slow process but eventually you could for example make the emperor be dead.

I've read the lex entry on the emperor several times but I somehow missed the part about millions of psykers being forcibly sacrified to him...I tend to play evil characters anyway(Innoruuk characters in EQ, Empire in TOR), so why not be a Chaos character in a WH40k MMO...

Again, assuming it's not going to be some WoW clone or similarly noobed up game.

Terrible idea

Oct 25, 2006

If the emperor dies, the Imperium dies. He powers the psychic lighthouse that allows for warp travel, without it, every single planet would instantly be cut off from one another. Hive worlds are 100% dependent on imports. There is none or almost none, domestic food production on hive worlds,.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
The point of the Universe is that there are no actual good guys.

Chaos is no worse than the Imperium itself. Chaos has its military base but it's also has its non military functions.

Khornate followers offer themselves in self sacrifice to their gods and are infatuated with increasing their fighting ability.

Nurgle followers tend to be the sick, the dying, wanting to do ANYTHING to live, and are taken in by grandfather nurgle, who makes them immune to their sickness and showers them with love. Nurgle is really the only guy in the entire universe that actually loves his followers and personally cares for them.

Slaneesh followers escape the harshness of the universe by throwing themselves into anything they want. They master the arts, they master singing, painting, beautification, and anything they desire to have a skill in.

While tzeentchians want to learn about the truth of the universe and the ultimate plan.

Compare this to the Imperium, who drafts millions and millions of soldiers a day to send to war, hive worlds of billions of people ruled by a single noble with absolute power over them with no governing structure and are slaves to his will. The imperium is allowed to destroy the population of entire worlds under the guise of protecting it from chaos, and the death of a billion citizens is merely a note in the millions of beaurocratic notes sent every second.

They have black ships that steal people and torture them, thousands people are kidnapped, tortured, forced to have surgeries without anesthesia and wallow in their own filth are fed to the emperor's shriveled husk every single day to keep him "alive". The inquisition has absolute authority and can kill anyone they deem a danger, with almost no oversight or reprucussions.

Can you really say the Imperium is much better than the freedom that chaos offers? Chaos offers freedom and safety. You are yourself under chaos, with no one that can really tell you what to do.

I would agree the imperium aren't really good guys, but I still disagree with you about chaos. You leave out the fact that each god is obsessed with power and their followers are a means to that end. They are all slaves that are drawn in with promises of power/life/pleasure/knowledge but these obsessions are just used to control them. I would say chaos followers only think they have freedom and that is part of whats used to control them. They definitely are not safe either, chaos followers are constantly at war and are in danger even from followers of the same god.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
If the emperor dies, the Imperium dies. He powers the psychic lighthouse that allows for warp travel, without it, every single planet would instantly be cut off from one another. Hive worlds are 100% dependent on imports. There is none or almost none, domestic food production on hive worlds,.

I get that, but typical MMO treatment will have you being able to kill, at least in theory(as they will be repeatable instances) just about everything.

I've only played EQ and TOR so let me ask this...in games OTHER than EQ, how do MMOs that last a long time mark the passage of time in the game? In EQ for example, any "storyline" that exists advances by being able to meet an NPC in a future expansion that is a completely different zone(ie, you could kill Mayong Mistmoore in several different expansions). Or, well, that wasn't a really good example since it's not that common to see the same NPC from one expansion to the other, but NPCs in the new expansion often make reference to what has happened since an older one. But you can always go back to the old ones(with limited exception, like how they updated Freeport).

How does WoW or other long lived MMOs do it?