Veterans before immigrants?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I don't hate them, but I also think they are bloated to the point that we don't derive benefit proportionate to our spending on the military, making them a net drain on productive society.
Most of the military action is there to provide jobs to unproductive areas of the country and funnel taxpayer money to the defense industrial complex. So I would prefer that people pursue careers that provide a net benefit to society, rather than risking life and limb in unproductive adventures and then becoming a lifetime burden on it.
I would have never said what I said if you had expressed yourself differently!! You made a great point!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Be cause it recreates what is already there. We have hospitals, there’s no reason to have separate hospitals. Just give them insurance and let them choose their own.
That's one of the most insane and uninformed responses I have ever heard from you! Just when you thought UglyCassanove could not stoop even lower...
You do realize the VA hospitals specialize in treating Veterans? A hospital is not just a hospital...lol

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
It's not my fault the very propaganda slogan in the wording I used wasn't reference enough for you.

Next time I'll draw you a picture and hire an interpretive dancer to help you understand better.
Such toxic masculinity. Do you need a shave?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Veterans before immigrants?

There are currently about 50,000 homeless veterans in the United states, accounting for approximately 9% of the total homeless population. The average cost of a home in the US is $272,900. To buy every homeless veteran a house would cost about 13.7 billion dollars.

A wall costs 70 billion. For 70 billion you could buy every homeless veteran a house, and pay them a yearly stipend for maintenence and property taxes and still have money left over.

Yet you want to spend $70 billion on a wall because "vets before immigrants"???

Stop claiming you care about veterans and stop using us as your political propaganda tool.

The Wall isn't just a fool's idea for keeping out immigrants. It's an idea of building a 10th Wonder of the World as a monument to a Monumental Fool. President Bone-Spurs.

Embrace Class Struggle. Make America Great and hang the whole family of grifters.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
You do realize the VA hospitals specialize in treating Veterans? A hospital is not just a hospital...lol

That is exactly what he seems to not understand. The VA is not just a 'free' hospital for veterans. It is both a specialized hospital and social support structure for vets. It provides more than just medical care, although it does do that in a way that other hospitals are not equipped to provide. Vets have some unique needs and medical conditions rarely seen elsewhere in medicine.

We had a discussion here last year (or maybe 2016) about if it was a good idea to privatize the VA and I was on the side of privatizing it. I read some really good arguments here against it and decided to educate myself on the topic better. I spend some time talking to some of my friends and coworkers that work with or rely on the VA for various things and have since come to the conclusions that the VA serves a purpose that would never be adequately filled by a civilian medical facility.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
That's one of the most insane and uninformed responses I have ever heard from you! Just when you thought UglyCassanove could not stoop even lower...

UC is just chronically and willfully ignorant of most things he posts about.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You think simply buying a house for homeless vets is the answer? For most homeless people there are very likely underlying reasons why they are homeless. If you simply buy homeless people a house, I suspect many of them will find themselves homeless again within some months or years.

ah, the conservative bootstraps canard. too bad for you it's a myth. "people are poor and unsuccessful because they choose to be! at least, that's how I justify my complete lack of humanity."

Reactions: darkswordsman17

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
No, but apparently you need a binky after your little cry fest where you methodically went about downvoting all the posts of mine you could find.
LOL, are you seriously whining about downvotes? I downvoted the ones I don’t agree with. I’ll go back and replace them with hearts since its so important to you.

Mar 11, 2004
ah, the conservative bootstraps canard. too bad for you it's a myth. "people are poor and unsuccessful because they choose to be! at least, that's how I justify my complete lack of humanity."

Said by poor dumbfucks that think people like Turmp are going to suddenly get them a Peter Poppoff windfall because he'll keep all the non-whites that have been preventing them from getting their just rewards.