Very weird windows 10 issue (buttons being automatically continuously pressed and moving upwards) !!

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008
Hi to all,

I want to share something with you. There is a weird issue that started happening with my main windows 10 machine. When I go to a settings window the selected button will keep changing by itself (i.e. the selection indicator will keep moving upwards). If I restart my machine the symptom will disappear, however it will come back eventually. Sometimes it comes again after a short time and sometimes after a long time. I don't exactly know what triggers it. I tried to observe task manager to see if something funny is loaded when it is happening but I couldn't identify anything. Now when you are in the setting menu or the calculator for example, it is the tab button in the keyboard that changes the selected button so I suspected my keyboard but it doesn't happen while in the desktop for example (Selected desktop icons don't change by themselves as if you are pressing the tab keyboard button. To help you understand my issue, I recorded two videos for it. One with the calculator and one with the settings window. I uploaded them into imgur.

D1ttA3Z.mp4

oUey3zN.mp4

You can see that when I press a button with the mouse it will immediately go up. Please check out the videos and give me some ideas as I'm not even sure what to type in google to search for a solution for such a problem.

Many thanks,

Saoud

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Up arrow stuck on keyboard. Or some (USB) device has "Gone rogue" (*common with Chinese USB devices), and is faking a pseudo-keyboard, and trying to input something, but got stuck.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Did you recently (perhaps without even noticing) spill some liquid, water, tea, soda, coffee, bourbon, etc., into a keyboard or keyboard-like device?

If a keyboard matrix internally is shorting due to a liquid spill, you can certainly get "phantom" button-presses.

Super Spartan

Aug 1, 2020
Sorry guys to bother you. Turned out to be a joystick thrown behind the desk with its thumbstick pressed which I totally forgot about.
Was about to say the same time. Happened to me a few times on different laptops I thought they are possessed or something. Turned out m Xbox controller's joystick was laying flat and being pressed upwards.