Very strange, don't ya think?

8008S

Banned
Sep 17, 2000
Ok, i've been running my duron for the longest time @850 (originally a 650). I tried to go 900, but to no avail , it didn't boot. Then I use the jumpers in the A7V to adjust voltage, not the bios. Now it posts all the way up to 950 when i set the bios to 1.8, but when i try to run it at 900, i have to set the vcore to 1.85 in the bios. What the hell, does jumper mode still rely on the bios settings? And why can't i get my duron any higher, did i get a dud?

Specs:
win98/win2k
Duron 650
Fop32 w/ artic silver
sh!tloads of fans

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
I love how new overclockers expect Durons to overclock past 900mhz.

Knock Knock. Your chip runs at 650. Your chip overclocks to 850. If you want more, you either take the risk with any overclock or buy a guaranteed overclocker.

There are no givens in overclocking. There never will be. You may get another chip, and it may only give you 750. You never know. Don't expect to automatically get a gigahertz just because you bought a good overclocking chip.

Mike

8008S

Banned
Sep 17, 2000
excuse me pompous mike, but I am not new to overclocking at all. I just find it REALLY strange that setting the motherboard to jumpermode for Vcore gives you more stability than in the bios. I could careless that I can only get 900 out of it, its still a great chip, in fact, I have 5 more Duron 600-750's in my lab right now waiting to be set up.

brogers

Jun 26, 2000
Here is my setup.

Setup

Asus A7V Rev 1.02
Duron 600@950 , Week 36
Voltage: 1.8V (bios)
Idle Temp: 53C
Heavy Load Temp: 57C
Heatsink: Alpha /w YS-Tech Fan
other: I run with the side of the case removed. The system becomes unstable when I put it on.

I havn't tried setting the voltage using the jumpers yet. Using the ASUS probe utility software my voltage reads 1.872V when the it is set to 1.8V in the bios. I wasn't too happy about that. I may try setting the voltage by the jumpers and rechecking using the ASUS software.

I had a few similar problems when I was setting the voltage using the bios. I would set the temperature in the bios and power off after a reboot. Then I would set the multiplier to a very high number 9.5-10. If it was unsuccesful I would work the multiplier down. What I found out was that the motherboard would kick the voltage down to stock settings if it didn't succesfully post(I didn't realize this at first). So when I started using 8.5...8... i couldn't post. I would look in my bios and find it sitting at stock voltage! I know the method of above is not the best way to overclock. I just wanted to find out immediately if I could hit 1ghz. I should have started at stock voltage and started increasing the multiplier until it became unstable. Then I should add more voltage.

Anyway, you mentioned you could post to 950 using the jumpers to set the voltage. I don't know how setting the the voltage in the bios effects the settings using the jumpers. I have yet to try the jumpers. 950 is not bad. I wouldn't consider it a dud. Let us know how the others turn out.

IaPuP

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2000
First of all, asking if a Duron which already runs at 900-950 is a dud is a pretty dumb question.

But...

And... I just opened up the manual. Its right there.

The Vcore jumpers will not work if the BIOS is set to "jumper free mode".

The Vcore jumpers will be enabled if it is set to "jumper mode" in BIOS.

The way to tell whether it is providing the correct voltage is to check in the Power->Hardware Monitor menu.

Eric

jblondi

Apr 27, 2000
Dont you love it when the &quot;senior&quot; members post <,>... instead of anything useful. Have fun in your lab. Id have to agree with mike.

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
The only reason i even replied is because he made soooo many stupid posts bumping up his thread(including 2 in an amazing span of 2 minutes). ;)

He called his chip a dud. I can't really see why.

:)

Mike