Very slow boot after installing new RAM and other problems

Pinecallado

Dec 23, 2012
My first problem is that a few days ago after I installed a new stick of 8GB ram, my computer takes a long time to boot. My computer takes around 2 minutes to boot past the "bios" screen then another 2 minutes to boot past the windows loading screen.
Before I installed the new ram it took less than five seconds to go past bios and only about 10 seconds to go past the windows loading screen because I'm using an SSD in UEFI mode. I tried removing the CMOS battery and putting it back in to see if anything would change but it didn't work.
I can't even boot a ubuntu live CD through USB anymore because it doesn't go past the ubuntu loading screen.

My second problem is that my motherboard refuses to run memory in dual channel mode. Before I got this new 8gb stick of ram I had two 4GB sticks of ram given to me by my father. They wouldn't run in dual channel mode so only 4GB showed. The motherboard recognized both sticks of ram because I saw them both in the UEFI settings. Another weird thing is the motherboard showed them run at two different clock speeds.

The 3rd weird thing is that before this I had 2GB+2GB sticks of ram running in dual memory mode just fine before I decided to upgrade. Maybe my motherboard is "broken"?

Does anyone have any ideas about what I should do? I'm thinking of just getting this refurbished motherboard if I can't find a solution to these problems(I wanted to upgrade from m-itx anyway). Hopefully if it works I can combine all the ram together to run it at 18GB quad-channel. My mitx motherboard can only run two sticks at a time.

Last edited:

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
If you put the 2x 2GB sticks back in, does everything run great or does the problem persist?

Maybe try running memtest on all sticks of ram to confirm they all pass. What I mean is use one stick at a time, test them individually.

Brado78

Jan 26, 2015
Hello. Check the timing of the new RAM module It has to match the old one(s). RAM timings are very important. Examples of ram timings are 5-5-5-15, or 7-7-7-21, 9-9-9-24 What ever the timing is on your original module., the new one has to match it. Also, you could have damaged the module or socket while installing it. Go into your bios and see if you can "Restore Bios to Default settings" See if that works. Do you get any weird beeps when you start it up? Frequency is also a huge factor. to determine exactly what kind of RAM you're board can handle. Go to the crucial website and download their memory tool. It scans your system and tells you exactly what you need.http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-info

Last edited:

Pinecallado

Dec 23, 2012
Sorry for the slow response!

If you put the 2x 2GB sticks back in, does everything run great or does the problem persist?

Maybe try running memtest on all sticks of ram to confirm they all pass. What I mean is use one stick at a time, test them individually.

The computer doesn't even go into a boot screen when I have the old 2x 2GB ram in there. The computer turns on but the monitor stays black.

And when I put the 2x 4GB the computer still booted really slow.
For some reason when I put the single 8Gb stick of ram in my computer, that's when my computer started booting really slow.

Hello. Check the timing of the new RAM module It has to match the old one(s). RAM timings are very important. Examples of ram timings are 5-5-5-15, or 7-7-7-21, 9-9-9-24 What ever the timing is on your original module., the new one has to match it. Also, you could have damaged the module or socket while installing it. Go into your bios and see if you can "Restore Bios to Default settings" See if that works. Do you get any weird beeps when you start it up? Frequency is also a huge factor. to determine exactly what kind of RAM you're board can handle. Go to the crucial website and download their memory tool. It scans your system and tells you exactly what you need.http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-info

The crucial scan program doesn't work. It just opens a cmd window for half a second and closes.

And these are screenshots from my UEFI setup menu. When I have the 2x4GB ram in it runs at two different speeds for some reason and it runs in single channel mode despite both ram sticks being detected!

Qp2lQKD.jpg

xZm4PqU.jpg

wPdCQIh.jpg

what speed and brand...new one and old one

The 2x 2GB ram was microcenter ram, which is really just rebranded ADATA ram. The 2x 4GB and 1x 8GB is both Crucial ram.

This is the 8GB crucial ram I brought:

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ballistix-Tactical-PC3-12800-BLT8G3D1608DT1TX0/dp/B006YG9C2Q

I hope I won't have to spend money on buying a new motherboard. I think all the ram I have is fine but something might be wrong with the motherboard :(

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
In those pictures, it is showing the DRAM SPD info. For some reason, one of them is showing up as 36Mhz, rather than 667Mhz. I don't know how programmable the DRAM timing is, but if it is actually programming the chipset to run at DDR3-72, then that would explain the slowdown.

It's obviously reading the SPD info wrongly, or the SPD info in the DIMM is damaged. Try re-seating the RAM, but if that doesn't work, it could be the board. Possibly bent pins in the CPU socket too, since the memory controller is on the CPU.