Question Very odd question about neon light near a PC

Nasty_nate

Dec 4, 2018
Not sure where to post this. I have this neon light that I may use by my PC. Should I be concerned with interference? I cant seem to find any information on this.

Nasty_nate

Dec 4, 2018
Ok great! just to make sure we're on the same page im using the style that would normally hang in a window with the large transformer. I plan to mount the transformer under the desk.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Use a CCFL (Cold Cathode Flourescent Lamp), or an RGB LED strip. I wouldn't use "real" Neon signs, the high-voltage type. IMHO, way too risky, unless this is strictly a show PC for the window of a PC shop, and will not actually be used or touched, other than to boot some demo for a screen in the window as well.

The reason being, the high-voltage, if it ever came in contact with the PC case, could cause bad things. In theory, it's all grounded, but in practice, could actually be dangerous and hazardous to human life. I won't do it, if I were you.

What's wrong with some cheap +5V programmable LED strips? You can always shape them like a Neon light, if you really wanted to, and then you could have the LEDs move and pulse along that track too, something that Neon doesn't really do.

Nasty_nate

Dec 4, 2018
Use a CCFL (Cold Cathode Flourescent Lamp), or an RGB LED strip. I wouldn't use "real" Neon signs, the high-voltage type. IMHO, way too risky, unless this is strictly a show PC for the window of a PC shop, and will not actually be used or touched, other than to boot some demo for a screen in the window as well.

The reason being, the high-voltage, if it ever came in contact with the PC case, could cause bad things. In theory, it's all grounded, but in practice, could actually be dangerous and hazardous to human life. I won't do it, if I were you.

What's wrong with some cheap +5V programmable LED strips? You can always shape them like a Neon light, if you really wanted to, and then you could have the LEDs move and pulse along that track too, something that Neon doesn't really do.
Its going a good distance from the case but nearish the monitor. I got and old "cyber cafe" neon light that is just for looks because I wanted something different. Whole reason I was asking thanks for the input!