Very much a legacy driver search-ATI

martman

Dec 10, 2005
I have come across an old system with a 166 Mhz Intel processor and a ATI Rage II video card installed. I am trying to play the original "Resident Evil" pc game on it. The OS is Win 95. I have actually found some Legacy drivers that will run the game, but was wondering if there were any "modded" drivers out there that would help with the "pixelization" that I am seeing in-game.
I dont think(or at least I havent found) any kind of anti aliasing settings.Is there anyone that could help?

ChaiBabbaChai

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2005
Search guru3d.com

You didn't say where you went looking already, so I apologize if you already went there.

martman

Dec 10, 2005
Yes, thank you for the reply. I have looked at Guru3d.
Another thing I didnt mention in my original post is that I am playing on a 21" Viewsonic CRT. The best settings I have found , so far are with the monitor resolution set to 800x600 and the game resolution set to 320x240 in full screen mode. The game and or the system is so weak that that is the best settings I have found after many different combinations. Surely there was some form of AA at that time....?? or something similiar.

*edit* I am starting to believe that the problem lies somewhere other than drivers.. I'm pretty sure I have installed the latestest drivers for this vid card and system, as I tried the next later release(date wise) and I get a message telling me that it wont work with my hardware.

Driver installed...w82474en for Win 95/98 dated Sept. 2000

Last edited:

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Anti aliasing didn't come out on video cards until the Voodoo5, which was released when 400mhz or so machines were out. My guess is that you have a pre anti aliasing card.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
You would probably have better luck with a Playstation emulator on a modern PC. Those things will let you render the game at whatever rez you want and have some nice post-processing features.

martman

Dec 10, 2005
I'd guess you are right on that... but it was kinda fun and a learning experience gettin that old pc up and running.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I'd guess you are right on that... but it was kinda fun and a learning experience gettin that old pc up and running.

It is kinda fun, but useless now for sure. Win95 is such an utter POS.. I always thought daily reboots were required from an MS OS until Win2K came along.