Very Lackluster Release of new Haswell Laptops

imported_gxtoast

Aug 30, 2009
The lack of innovation in the larger Ultrabook space of 15" semi-slim designs is somewhat disappointing. Not even Apple has released a new 15" rMBP based on Haswell.

My disappointment is the over abundance of 4700MQ CPUs with dedicated GPUs in the so-called performance space of 15" form factor laptops and ultrabooks. More of the same-old thick-and-heavy power hungry CPU+dGPU combos.

When are we going to see HQ Iris Pro parts in not-so-thick-and-heavy laptops with awesome screens and great build quality? For example, a new HQ Iris Pro DELL XPS 15 with touch 1080 IPS, etc?

What is bothering me more is that none of the review sites are asking questions about when these new breed of powerful lightweights are coming and with what level of innovation. The best we've got is Ultrabooks that just have okay performance to suit standard web and office duties.

Come on Anandtech, lets see some hard questions being asked of high performance lightweight HQ products with great touch screens, etc. I need something that isn't built like a desktop replacement to run my nested 64bit VMware and Hyper-V cloud labs and virtual networks.

Cheers!

Last edited:

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Might be production/yield issues. Even Apple has yet to refresh their Macbook Pro lineup with Haswell, and they usually have supplies first.

redrider4life4

Jan 23, 2009
I am also looking for a somewhat thin 15 inch offering with a 1080p screen and decent battery life when not gaming. I really just want something to play LoL and D3 on when I go on the road, don't need a beast computer, just something around 5-6 lbs and not 5 inches thick.

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
Give it about 5 months. A lot of the interesting IVB ultrabooks and the like didn't come out until the holiday season.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Might be production/yield issues. Even Apple has yet to refresh their Macbook Pro lineup with Haswell, and they usually have supplies first.

Uh, Apple isnt the first to refresh.

They take 30 to 60 days when launching a new processor(not just speed increase). Haswell launched June 3. Apple will launch their refreshed laptops prior to back to school season, my bet is sometime in mid to late July. Remember Apple doesn't always show off hardware at a conference before its released.

imported_gxtoast

Aug 30, 2009
Good points. I noticed that DELL released their updated version of the XPS 15 at the end of June and their updated version of the Precision line at the end of July, last year. However, I doubt that either of them will come with HQ parts this year.

It is understandable that the Precision won't ship with an HQ Iris Pro CPU, but I really don't know why DELL wouldn't want to create a cooler, slimmer XPS 15 with the HQ. The current XPS 15 isn't exactly unknown for throttling back due to heat issues.

Cheers Guys.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003

RobS10

Feb 24, 2010
Good points. I noticed that DELL released their updated version of the XPS 15 at the end of June and their updated version of the Precision line at the end of July, last year. However, I doubt that either of them will come with HQ parts this year.

It is understandable that the Precision won't ship with an HQ Iris Pro CPU, but I really don't know why DELL wouldn't want to create a cooler, slimmer XPS 15 with the HQ. The current XPS 15 isn't exactly unknown for throttling back due to heat issues.

Cheers Guys.
Dell released the Haswell E6540 Latitudes last week. Only one configuration so far, featuring a 5300rpm hybrid HDD (yawn). Here is a link. No word from Dell on when they'll have the fully configurable units for sale.