Very First Start up HMDI to TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeusAbsconditus

Feb 14, 2013
I just built my computer and I have an HDMI hooked up to my graphics card, to my tv, but nothing is loading. I cant get a signal. Any idea why?

My Build is,

GTX 660 FTW Sig 2

Corsair 2 x4GB

Corsair TX650

AMD FX 8350

500GB HDD Western Digital

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
You don't tell us what mobo you have, so I can't answer this question: Does you mobo have its own built-in graphics chip?

Reason for the question is this: IF you have graphics on your mobo the BIOS will be set by default to output graphics via its own chip. To get your add-on GTX graphics card to be the output device, you must go into BIOS Setup and change the setting. Until you do that, you will have to use the MOBO's graphics output connector (of whichever type) to connect to your TV so you can see the display.

A similar situation will arise for sound. Windows can only use ONE audio output device at a time, and I expect it (not your BIOS) will be set (once Windows is installed) to output audio through the default mobo audio chip and its connectors. BUT if you want audio to be output on the HDMI cable coming from your new graphics card to your TV, you will have to change Windows' setting. The graphics card cannot pick up an audio signal from the mobo audio chip. It has its own audio output device built into the graphics card itself. So you will have to tell Windows to change to using that audio output device (in the GTX card) as its sound outputter.

DeusAbsconditus

Feb 14, 2013
There is no integrated graphics card. I am assuming that before I can use hdmi to a tv, I need to use the standard DVI/vga hookup.

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
There is no integrated graphics card. I am assuming that before I can use hdmi to a tv, I need to use the standard DVI/vga hookup.

Not necessarily. Until it's told otherwise, most cards will output basic graphics to all it's ports. When you push the power button, do you get a single beep, indicating a successful POST? (Power On Self Test) If not, are there any error messages on any indicators from your motherboard? (e.g. red LEDs or numerical indicators) Again, knowing what motherboard you have would help. If you do get a POST beep, try hitting DEL or F1 or whatever your MB says is the button to push to get into BIOS. If the video card is functioning, something should appear on the TV.

Also, a few simple things to try. Take the card out and re-seat it in the PCIe slot completely. Make sure the TV is set to the appropriate input. Sometimes the simplest things get overlooked.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
wrong forum, as this thread should be moved to computer help. See if you have the correct HDMI cable (not the older ones that don't support the lower bandwidths). Download the latest drivers
make sure your computer is posting first off
Have the correct input source selected on the TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.