Very critical question about DVD burners for DVD creaton

techietam

Jan 29, 2002
How are you doing guys.
I am on the run to build DVD creation setup for coverting
VHS to DVD. I did find capture device but now....

I need a DVD burner that's capable of writing disk using format
that is supported by all DVD players...

The question of the day: is it R, - R, or +R ????? :confused:

Heeeelp!! :)

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
There is NO recordable DVD format that is compatible with all players. (assuming you mean stand-alone DVD players that you connect to a TV)

Supposedly, depending on who does the testing, DVD+R has the highest compatibility, DVD-R is about the same, and the RW formats are both much less compatible.

So you pays your money and you takes your chances.

GetInMyFatBelly

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2000
Are you sure Workin', I thought it was the other way around. That DVD-R is the most compatible, while DVD+R (being the newest format) is the least.

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
Originally posted by: GetInMyFatBelly
Are you sure Workin', I thought it was the other way around. That DVD-R is the most compatible, while DVD+R (being the newest format) is the least.
It depends who you ask. The latest test I saw gave a slight edge to +R, like 1 or 2 percent more machines played +R vs. -R. As always YMMV.

Y23KC

Golden Member
Mar 19, 2001
I have a Panasonic DVD home theater system with 5 disc dvd changer and the dvd-r's work perfect, +r's work too but neither RW works in it.

tart666

Golden Member
May 18, 2002
Get the sony drive that is both -R and +R.

pretty safe that way since -RAM is useless.

techietam

Jan 29, 2002
Yup. I was looking at that drive today. $313 plus shipping is the cheapest
right now. Just gotta convice myself that I desparetly need it :D :) :)

tart666

Golden Member
May 18, 2002
The sony drive is sweeeet :D Was on sale at dell.com for $253 shipped for a couple of days. It was pretty hard to keep the credit card away from the PC.

In the meantime, you can practice making mini-DVD's, no?

MrCairo

Sep 19, 2001
You might want to take a look at a site called www.vcdhelp.com...along with a ton of vcd info, it also has a pretty large list of DVD players and their different playable media abilities. As well as dvd burning software and guides!

Hope it helps some!

MrCairo

:cool: