Very Cool Freeware

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Back when I was running XP, I discovered this very cool little freeware called ICONOID.

It can do several things, but I most loved it, cause it can change the icon titles on the desktop to any color you want.....a color you choose with the mixer OR one you choose by mousing over parts of the desktop!

When I moved up to windows 7 32-bit in my now backup system, as I recall, it was no longer compatible......forget, I thought, when I set up this new system with W7 64 bit I am running in this system. But, I just now got totally tired of my white titles, resented I hadda settle for them.... delved on the net, and LO and Behold, he wrote new copies for not only W7, but for W7 64-bit!:D

He says he thinks it's even compatible with 8 but does not guarantee.

I got it, I am THRILLED.:wub:

I just made my titles a lovely shade of mint green.....cause my Aero theme is green.

Here is the link:
http://www.sillysot.com/download.htm

It also keeps icon positions, and he's got insane thingy where you can make them dance. Do not go there, please, it's nausea making.

And, here is my desktop with my new, lovely mint green titles (I first moused over parts of my koalas and chose a lite fur color, but, I din like it, so I then did the green using the mixer.)

sphysi.jpg

Last edited:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Well, I was actually happily anticipating people getting this unique app, trying it, exploring it, configuring it, seeing all it can do and saying they like it.

Maybe guys here think liking something like this should be below them.:'(

Fact is, nothing else out there does anything this little freeware does. Surely not Windows.....and, no other third party apps.

Same deal is true for Revosleep. Tho that for me, is pragmatically vital. Iconoid is just about aesthetics. But those matter.

Friends I linked the new, viable builds to it like it. Including two guys. It gives us options nothing else does.

I like options.:D

Three tabs.....there are more; this thing is not simple and it is brilliantly written:

f9pmp2.jpg

2u3y7er.jpg

16c7zgp.jpg

Last edited:

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Been doing all that for over 12 years using Microangelo. Works perfectly in all systems - 95. 98. Vista, XP, 7, 8, and 8.1. It's always good to see more alternatives, especially freebies.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Been doing all that for over 12 years using Microangelo. Works perfectly in all systems - 95. 98. Vista, XP, 7, 8, and 8.1. It's always good to see more alternatives, especially freebies.

O!!!! I never heard of that, I will check it out! Yes, we LUUUVVV Freewares!!!

So nice to see SOMEONE here doesn't feel he should be above this stuff!:D

My new mint green icon titles make me HAPPY.:wub:

I am so happy I finally went back and looked to see if he had updated this lovely app so I (and others) might be able to run it with W7 64-bit!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/231743/microangelo_toolset.html

MS says, No, U can not change the color. If you delve, you SURE CAN. And for free.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...the-font/ef5e2f24-e6c9-40a0-88a9-30bf8a69114a

Last edited:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Corky.....I am confused. Was just reading thru the specs re the app you linked us to (not that I would ever spend money on such given I found Iconoid when I was still running XP on my now backup system)....and it says, compatible thru Vista, and only 32 bit. Do they need to update their site?

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Corky.....I am confused. Was just reading thru the specs re the app you linked us to (not that I would ever spend money on such given I found Iconoid when I was still running XP on my now backup system)....and it says, compatible thru Vista, and only 32 bit. Do they need to update their site?

I can't say. I only run 32 bit - don't multitask and and I don't use loads of RAM. It does work in 8.1 - Here's my 8.1 desktop complete with Aero on the taskbar.

Win81.jpg

BTW, this is why I don't do fresh installs - I would have to do all this work all over again.

Last edited:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I can't say. I only run 32 bit - don't multitask and and I don't use loads of RAM. It does work in 8.1 - Here's my 8.1 desktop complete with Aero on the taskbar.

Win81.jpg

BTW, this is why I don't do fresh installs - I would have to do all this work all over again.

Well, I run 64-bit. and, not that it's AS MUCH OF an issue with modern systems, but the more icons you have on the desktop, the longer Windows takes to boot. Which is why I put those I use often in two folders, each with a desktop icon, one red, one green...see my screenie above.

I also dump any fonts I think I will never use, cause all fonts also load with Windows. Even in a fast system, every little bit helps. My boot time is under 30 seconds....and I have only two mechanical drives.

Last edited:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I am sad. U mean not ONE human here was moved to get and explore Iconoid? Forget, maybe then find the courage to say, OMG, this is adorable! Forget, FREE.

Something Real Men should have the option to do.:sneaky: (Yes, that was sneaky, bite me.)

And, U gamers......try the icon dance. U may ENJOY experiencing its mania and the nausea it generates.:cool:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Thanks. I just downloaded it and now my icon texts are all bright red! I love it! Keep more coming!

YAYYYYY!!!!!!:biggrin:

That you got Iconoid, tried it AND ENJOY IT....made my DAY!!!:wub::thumbsup:

Red! Exxxxx-cellent.
xxoo
Just looked at yr profile, U play RHYTHM GUITAR!:thumbsup::D Gotta say I am not into metal, never will be....but I just finished reading CLAPTON (not rhythm, lead, but so wut?)....cause someone turned me onto CREAM and I fell in love with them. Then we got and watched amazing docu: Beware of Mr. Baker. (U bet, Ginger.) DO NOT MISS EITHER.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Can just do enough things with 8.1 I just don't bother with freeware myself these days I guess for it.

IMHO.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Can just do enough things with 8.1 I just don't bother with freeware myself these days I guess for it.

IMHO.

Well, I bother with what matters to me, and Windows does not afford the options to do what Iconoid does.....something I really enjoy.:D

Also, and, for me, far more pragmatically precious, Revosleep, which puts yr backup drive to sleep when you tell it to. FREE. Impressively complex app. No version of Windows does what it does.

Re both, the free part is just the icing on the cake!

For me, it's all good.

rpjkw11

Jan 29, 2012
I downloaded Iconoid, too. Cool little program since I like to "customize" my screen. One other thing I want to do is get rid of the ugly arrows on the shortcuts, like I'd done with XP. I noticed Corkyg has eliminated them.

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I eliminated those little arrows a long time ago in XP using Microangelo's "On Display."

on_display.jpg

Last edited:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Sorry! Half double posted. I have no clue, but sorry. Trying to work and visit the site a la fois.....not good at that.

Last edited:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I downloaded Iconoid, too. Cool little program since I like to "customize" my screen. One other thing I want to do is get rid of the ugly arrows on the shortcuts, like I'd done with XP. I noticed Corkyg has eliminated them.

Glad U got it, U bet, it is way cool, esp for a FREEWARE! I like the arrows. I don't have them on the custom desktop icons I have done myself, but the main two of those ARE ARROWS.:sneaky: (No, actually, three, I forgot about the bottom one I did re special downloads I don't include in regular, W7 downloads, downward pointing white arrow with gorgeous colored background.)

I just made my Aero color lighter & mintier using the sliders. Some people could not care less, but for me---it seems, for U as well---- this stuff matters.:sneaky: Enjoy.:D

I only tried the icon dance years ago when I was running XP on my now backup desktop and first came upon Iconoid. I still recall the TRAUMA. Why he would have written that element, I do not understand. It's like yr desktop is crashing.:(

Last edited:
F

fabler

Used it on XP. Had a bit of fun then binned it. Just another program/process to slow the desktop appearing.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Used it on XP. Had a bit of fun then binned it. Just another program/process to slow the desktop appearing.

Sorry. Can't remember if that was true in my now backup slower system wherein I started running XP, but in the fast system I am on (I run W7 64-bit), does not impact my boot time at all.

I also keep my startup folder pared to the bone, have few desktop icons, etc.

F

fabler

Good to know but as a third party software it needs to load and run whatever the case.

Still, you enjoy the eye candy and why not.

Just not for me.

We'll agree to disagree.. :)

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Good to know but as a third party software it needs to load and run whatever the case.

Still, you enjoy the eye candy and why not.

Just not for me.

We'll agree to disagree.. :)

Absolutely! We are each unique....same is true, tho to a less astonishing degree--- for our computers.:D