Very basic pci express video card questions

JK27

Aug 21, 2002
Newbie to the world of pci-e. Wondering whether all pci-e video cards that have two outputs (e.g., VGA/D-sub and DVI) are capable of running dual monitor support. The guy at CompUSA said the box specifically had to state "dual monitor support."

Also, if you use a DVI to VGA converter on the DVI output, is there a performance hit due to the converter?

Thanks much in advance!

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
IIRC pretty much all newer gen PCIe cards have multiple-monitor support. That includes GeForce 7 Series and Radeon X1K series.

Also, even though I usually use DVI with my 1905FP, I did have to use a VGA adaptor on one occassion at a LAN, and I didn't notice any picture quality differences.

JK27

Aug 21, 2002
Thank you for the reply. Now to find the perfect AND affordable pci-e card ...

JK27

Aug 21, 2002
Update:

As I don't need to run the latest 3D games, I picked up a PNY Geforce 2 7300GS. Comes with DVI, VGA and S-Video Outputs (and includes a component video adaptor and DVI to VGA adapter). Set up quickly, running a 19" LCD and a 17"CRT with no problems. Very cool, indeed! Thanks for the help!

Next question: I'm using a monitor extension cable (6 ft.) and I'm noticing some ghosting on the 19" LCD monitor, not noticeable when not using the extension. The extension is a cheapie Belkin. Would upgrading this extension cable to a better quality cable make any difference? The cables I've seen range from $14.99 to $49.99, some with gold connectors, etc.). Thoughts? Thank you!

JK27

Aug 21, 2002
Anybody have any ideas about the ghosting on my LCD monitor while using an extension with a dual monitor setup? Thanks in advance!

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
JK27
As I don't need to be able to run games, I picked up a PNY Geforce 2 7300GS
FIXED LOL

About the ghosting, are you using the VGA or DVI?

Extension cables are bad when it comes to either although VGA more so, its an analog signal through VGA so as the cord increases in length the signal quality will increase. DVI is digital so the signal is either there or not, if it?s not well you get weird artifacts and stuff.

If the ghosting is not there when you are not using the extension I think you answered your question. If you can try to just get 1 good quality cable going from your vid card to your monitor. Even then once you get a certain length you might have to pay big $$ to make sure the signal is still good.

This is what I understand at least.