Verizon to Sell the Best Smarphone

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
http://techland.time.com/2013/08/16/verizon-is-about-to-sell-the-best-smartphone/?hpt=hp_t3....

As one commenter wrote...

"I'll take the better battery life, faster processor, larger screen, better camera, interchangeable batteries and expandable storage that my Galaxy S4 has over "The Best Smartphone"

But to be fair, I will admit that the HTC one does have a much better look and feel to it as most reviews cite. But who cares when you put it in a case, and battery life is too important to me.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I know Verizon has great call quality and service, but I'd personally be annoyed having to wait 5 months after a phone is launched to have it available. Not the biggest fan of AT&T, but it is nice to get pretty much any flagship phone at the US release.

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
They are super late with this release.
I thought they would just go for the One Max instead.

Also I tried LTE on a friend's phone here and speeds have dropped a lot on VZW LTE maybe 4-8 Mbps, still lower latency. But I can get speeds close to that on ATT/T-mobile HSPA+. Not really impressed with VZW's pricing, phone selection, or locked down phones.

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
So far that has worked out for me since I've been with VZW. My contract ends right around the time the next phone I want becomes available.

I did briefly consider waiting for the HTC One, but battery life is a deal breaker for me just as is network availability.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I know Verizon has great call quality and service, but I'd personally be annoyed having to wait 5 months after a phone is launched to have it available. Not the biggest fan of AT&T, but it is nice to get pretty much any flagship phone at the US release.

It happened with the S4 too. It wasn't as long IIRC, but ATT definitely had the s4 for a while before Verizon got it.

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
Verizon would cost me $100/mo for 2 GB Shared Data Unlimited Talk & Text

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
http://techland.time.com/2013/08/16/verizon-is-about-to-sell-the-best-smartphone/?hpt=hp_t3....

As one commenter wrote...

"I'll take the better battery life, faster processor, larger screen, better camera, interchangeable batteries and expandable storage that my Galaxy S4 has over "The Best Smartphone"

But to be fair, I will admit that the HTC one does have a much better look and feel to it as most reviews cite. But who cares when you put it in a case, and battery life is too important to me.

What's the point of better battery life and faster processor when the bloat slows everything down and kills the battery?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001

Thing is, the One has roughly equal battery life to the S4 in real world. CPUs are both Snapdragon 600s and neither will run at max speed for very long. The One can take better pictures in low light, but I'll give the S4 the definitive edge on cameras. The One comes stock with 32GB, and most of that is available to to the user. On the 16GB S4, half is taken up by bloat, which also causes the thing to lag like crazy.

I find it odd that that comment didn't call any attention to the actual problems of the One, namely Sense 5 sucking so much ass, the stupid button layout, and the useless LED notification. And I'm pretty sure Samsung will update the S4 to 4.3.x before HTC completes their 4.2.2 rollout on the Ones.

Verizon carrying the One now is a day light and dollar short. It'll be more than 3 months old by the time it launches on Verizon, and conveniently in time for Samsung's September Unpacked event to steal any thunder.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I was not impressed with the HTC One in hand. It feels more bloated than my Droid Bionic which itself is like a old school Motorola bag phone compared to today's phones.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
The One is a great piece of hardware, but HTC needs to get with the program as far as what people want and expect from the nightly battery charge. I hope they can pull off some sort of mid-year refresh that includes a "Maxx" version with a built-in extended battery. I'd take one even if it's a few mm thicker.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Wow, the comments on that site are almost as bad as the andoid vs apple ones on here!

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
What's the point of better battery life and faster processor when the bloat slows everything down and kills the battery?
I still have every single feature enabled on my phone and game the crap out of it on some days and my battery still lasts 1 1/2 - 2 days depending on use. And if my battery is inadequate, I have the option to to install a bigger one.

Still just seeing which ones I'll use in the long term. Some are nice, some are gimmicky and stupid but I give them props for trying something new.

I was not impressed with the HTC One in hand. It feels more bloated than my Droid Bionic which itself is like a old school Motorola bag phone compared to today's phones.

So far everyone that I've ever known with HTC phone has complained about the battery. I had one former co worker who had to plug his in several times a day. I don't know if HTCs are still like that considering this was almost 2 years since the got these phones.

In a way I almost see the battery as a design flaw. If you are going to seal the device, than you should at least put a more adequate battery in there.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Have you held one? It feels horrible in hand. At least in my hand. The top and bottom bezel's are massive and ugly as well.

You're referring to the One? It feels great in the hand, light, with a curved back that makes it comfortable to hold. The bezels on the top and bottom are fairly small and house front facing speakers, which make the front look very good.

Ganiy

Aug 8, 2013
HTC is good mobile. Icannot say anything bad about it. I like it is felt in hands and battery life is ok. Cannot share your thoughts. I am satisfied.