Verizon FIOs

eminemrh25

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2005
is there ANY way to find out when Verizon is going to have FIOs avaible in your area? Im tired of Comcast....

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Rip the Jacker
Originally posted by: RelaxTheMind
30mb/5mb for a low low price of $179/month

Wasn't it something like 15 mbps down for $45-50?

Yeah, you can get 5/1 for $35, 15/2 for $45, and 30/5 for $179.

(30/5 is targeted at businesses I guess... although it is ~$70 in some areas...)

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
It is not available in Des Moines, WA. I am in the Puyallup, WA boat and we don't even have 6mb comcast yet.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: eminemrh25
It says Qwest in WA...

Nevermind, I thought Verizon FiOS would only be available in areas that have Verizon phone service... I guess that's not the case. :)

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
There are some Verizon areas in WA. Pasco, Kennewick, Richland, for example. FIOS is available in Bellvue, I believe. Time to break your lease.

It depends on your area what you get for upload with Comcast. In Eugene, OR I had the pro level service and it was 6mb/768k for $52.95. I had no problem paying that.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Anyone know if you can get two separate 15Mbps FIOS lines (for redundant purposes, of course ;))?

RelaxTheMind

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2002
my cable is $39/month for 5mb down 2mb up. hopefully fios gets laid out here soon as i start working for verizon fios in 2 weeks... "discounts"

Cloud Strife

Banned
Aug 12, 2006
Originally posted by: her209
Anyone know if you can get two separate 15Mbps FIOS lines (for redundant purposes, of course ;))?

with the correct hardware, yes. :)

comcast upload sucks, like someone said earlier. however, from an average user perspective, you don't really need more than 384kbps upload.

<--- comcast user.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: RelaxTheMind
my cable is $39/month for 5mb down 2mb up. hopefully fios gets laid out here soon as i start working for verizon fios in 2 weeks... "discounts"

your cable gives you 2mbps up?!? who are you with and what area?

Originally posted by: Cloud Strife
comcast upload sucks, like someone said earlier. however, from an average user perspective, you don't really need more than 384kbps upload.

well, w/ VOIP getting more popular, the average user will need it. Altho, they don't really understand that... so no one pushes enough for it. throw in sharing digital media... larger megapixels + the fact no one resizes for the web... with services like flickr/smugsmug/any photo printing place ... yeah, uploads need to go up.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: RapidSnail
Just a tip. It's called FiOS for Fiber Optic Service, not FIOs.

Actuall it's PON - passive optical network. FiOS is not a technology, just a brand name like "oreo".

Good news is cable is going to surpass verizon's current offerings.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: spidey07

Actuall it's PON - passive optical network. FiOS is not a technology, just a brand name like "oreo".

I'd rather give my money to Verizion than the Devil (Comcast)

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006

I was only referring to the brand name. I understand that the technology is PON.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000

On copper lines? :Q

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: eos
On copper lines? :Q

Yes. Just like the technology to deliver PONs, the tech for cable is being developed/standardized.

It's shaping up to be one big showdown between telcos and cable.