Verizon DSL

incallisto

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2000
Here's a deal that I consider to be rather warm. I was scanning the web and came across this on Verizon's DSL site:

And now: Plus if you order online, your first month is FREE!

"through July 31, sign up for Verizon Online DSL
for $29.95 per month for the first 3 months, $49.95 per month thereafter.
Our offer includes unlimited Internet Access, DSL modem (up to $200 value), self installation kit, no activation fees, a 30-day money back guarantee, 24/7 technical support and no annual commitment! And customers that sign up online receive the first month free. This offer is a virtual no-risk situation for our customers."

Link: Verizon.net

*Compare this to DirectTV's DSL offer and notice the 1 year contract? Verizon requires no annual agreement.

Boogak

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
Wow, price keeps dropping. I just got Verizon DSL here in Dallas last month and I got first 3 months for $39.95 w/ no annual committment + free modem and install. Oh well, at least I also scored a free Logitech webcam/digicam hybrid. So far I've been very happy with the speeds and reliability.

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
MAybe I will switch over from Earthlink, but dunno if it makes sense. They are 49/month.

Wei

Oct 1, 2001
strange, i have being paying 39.95 / month for almost 2 years now. i'm in malden, ma

unknown

Dec 4, 1999
Wei - can you elaborate on your rate? I am in the next town over (medford) and am thinking of finally dumping dial-up for this deal.

glee

Aug 23, 2001
I live in san francisco, and have recently hooked up with DSLExtreme.com. $45/mo if you pay in advance, otherwise $49/mo, FIXED IP Address, real people answering phones, and 1.4 download speed. So far I'm very very happy.

ken2001

Mar 26, 2001
I received a letter from verizon with same offer plus a free digital camera. Even you cancel within 30 days trial period, still keep the camera.

huesmann

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
I think it depends when you got in on the Verizon DSL. I got in on it when they were still Bell-Atlantic and was at the $40 price point with 90/640 speed. I understand they have a different set of speeds now, but they charge $50 for the low-end. I have since moved, and as Verizon wasn't available where I moved to, I went with Earthlink DSL at $50, but it's faster than the Bell-Atlantic DSL was. I'm sure if I hadn't moved I'd still be with Verizon at $40 on whatever low-end DSL speed they're pushing these days.

Cheapest

Feb 15, 2000
I got the DirectV DSL for the first three months FREE. Then I cancel it since it cost $49 after that! (See old forums)

wsking

Jan 16, 2002

<< strange, i have being paying 39.95 / month for almost 2 years now. i'm in malden, ma >>

same here...$39.95($32.00 dsl / $7.95 internet <-- this is how my bill shows)
free modem, no set up fee...
So. Cali.

slickpants

Nov 6, 2001
Be sure to ask about the shipping and handling costs on the modem. I work near these DSL guys and they were talking about recouping some cost in the shipping and handling...

Pothead

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2001
I've been on Verizon DSL since November, paying $49.95 a month sadly. However, I have never had any down time.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
In my area, Earthlink has a better deal if you can handle the one year committment. $21.95 for the first three months which includes 8 aliases (separate mail addresses) and 20 minutes of dial-up time per month. Last time I checked with Verizon, they charged extra for the dial-up access. That's not a lot of on line time, but, it's useful for checking your e-mail when you're out of town. Verizon That's why I went with them.

bockchow

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2001
i got basicly the same deal when i signed up to verizon. i got the free web came too. the thing about not haveing a year commitment isn't intirely true though, at least not when i signed up. there was no commitment for the dsl line usage charge, that could be canceld at any time. but the verizon isp charge has a year contract. so if you only get the line from verizon but tell them you want to use another isp then there's no contract. kinda jacked up but verizon dsl is the only broadband game in town so it's not like i was going to cancel anytime soon anyway.

they did however send me 2 free dsl modems by accident which was rather nice of them.

unknown

Dec 4, 1999
Also Ebates is giving $10.00

"Earn $10 when you order verizon Online DSL. (Only serving the following areas: CT, DE, ME, MD, MA, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV or DC)"

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I've had Verzon DSL for about a year now. ZERO down time. 768/128 connection is running me $49.95 a month. DSL reports my speed in the 650kbs range. Got the free web cam too. It broke for some reason as well, worked when I first got it tho. Called Verizon and they sent me a new one no prob.

relax

Apr 26, 2002
I had verizon DSL for the free month in upstate NY last fall. They were new to the area and there were problems at first. I called to cancel because of the grief and explained that maybe later when they had all the bugs fixed I would re-join. They gave me three MORE free months. After the 3 months were up I cancelled, most of the problems were fixed but there was still some down time. I tried to send back the modem, but they said to just keep it. Plus I got to keep the free webcam. Nice deal all around. I will rejoin if/when the price drops below 40.00 and I will already have all the equipment.

dimwit

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2000
Verizon DSL used to be $39.95 for 768/128 static IP. I had that rate, but moved. At my new house they "lost" the transfer order so I had to sign up again at the new rate of $49.95 and now have dynamic IP. But I did get a new modem and webcam.

Also a thumbs out for their service out here in central coastal CA. I generally top out at 700kbps and it is rarely down. If it does go down, I just reset the modem and I'm back up.

SpideyCU

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2000
relax, I'm in NYC too and use Verizon DSL. The funny part was, I cancelled it for a while too, but signed up again last August. And this point they had the faster speeds (768 instead of 640) but also the higher price ($49 vs. $39). However, when I called 'em, I told them not to send anything since I still had the gear from the first time around. I signed up using my old setup CD and, wouldn't you know it, I've only been paying $39/month since August. I'm assuming it was a glitch since I created my account with the old CD's software! Anyhow, the service has been more reliable than it was last year. Still not perfect - I remember one or two times since then that it's been out for half a day or so. But overall, speeds are good (I'm usually getting ~90 KB/sec downstream, which is ~720kbps - not bad for a 768kbps line). And, ironically, during 9/11, it was still functioning as fast as ever. I couldn't call my friends and relatives, but I could e-mail 'em!

Wei

Oct 1, 2001

<< Wei - can you elaborate on your rate? I am in the next town over (medford) and am thinking of finally dumping dial-up for this deal. >>

well, initially i wanted the cable modem, but since they didn't offer it for my apartment 2 years ago so i had to settle with dsl.

i called and signed up for it, i forgot if there was any kind of promotion when i did it or not. but i had to pay about 150 for the modem itself, and 39.95 for the service each month, no contracts. it has been like that ever since.

i'm really happy with the service, almost zero down time and very fast connection, i think i got steady 640 d/l but horrible u/l speed.

the only thing is that you need to have a local phone line in order to have dsl. i use my cell as my primary line and don't really need the local phone line. but because of dsl i had no choice. so i'm paying around 16 for my local phone line on top of the 39.95 for dsl.

since i already paid 150 for the dsl modem itself, i didn't feel like dumping it and spend another 150 for cable modem to switch, so i stucked with it until the next time i move.

like i said the service is good, if you need to call the tech support, the wait on the line is very short, and majority of the tech support are pretty good, (had to call about 4 times over the 2 years period). but if you don't need your local phone line like me, then i suggest you go with cable.

i forgot to say that it's dynamic ip address, so forget about running your own server, and i noticed that it runs a lot smoother on xp rather than win98 SE

that's all i have to say about that, hope it helps.

BigEdMuustaffa

Golden Member
Jan 29, 2002
I'm getting on avg 1500k with comcast for $39.95/month and I bought my modem almost two years ago so it paid for itself.

What incentive is there for me to pay $10 a month more for Verizon DSL and have my speed drop to 384k? The Verizon deal for 1500k is $59.95 month?
Is there some special thing about Verizon I don't know about that would make me pay $20 more a month? And to think, while I had cable a year ago, Verizon kept telling me....sorry you live
outside the limit for DSL..... So now Johnny come lately Verizon wants me to pay more and get less.....I don't think so.......:p

marill999

Oct 14, 2001
so... let me see if i get this... theres no cancellation fee? all u have to do is return the modem if u cancel?

marill999

Oct 14, 2001
hm... 1st Month Free... 2nd Month $29.95... 3rd Month $29.95... CANCEL, RETURN MODEM!
O, and $10 back from ebates... sweet... $50/ 3 MONTHS

BTW, offer expires 7/31/02 if anyone cared to notice...