Vega/Navi Rumors (Updated)

Page 177 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
And then when someone tries to make a estimation using Fury X "you can't, different uarchs, IPC gains" list goes on.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We are saying at worse case its a die shrunk Fiji @ 1600 clocks vs 1050. Same amount of core shaders, rops, etc from what we've seen from the specs so far. We know the power usage is under 400w let alone 500w and we've already seen very good performance from it as well.

Do you honestly expect there to be lower IPC on Vega over Fiji??

tajoh111

Mar 28, 2005
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We are saying at worse case its a die shrunk Fiji @ 1600 clocks vs 1050. Same amount of core shaders, rops, etc from what we've seen from the specs so far. We know the power usage is under 400w let alone 500w and we've already seen very good performance from it as well.

Do you honestly expect there to be lower IPC on Vega over Fiji??

One thing that hurts scaling for AMD this time around is the memory bandwidth.

Rx vega has 480gb/sec of bandwidth. This is less than the original fury X at 512gb/sec and also less than double polaris which rx vega has more than twice the tflops of. Add in Polaris was a bit memory starved, as adding only a memory overclock helped performance 6% and I would feel more confident in Vega scaling if it received the same boost in bandwidth as the core clock i.e 773gb/sec of bandwidth to match the 52% increase in tflops.

https://www.computerbase.de/2016-06/radeon-rx-480-test/12/

Reactions: Feld

dacostafilipe

Oct 10, 2013

I think that the increased L1/L2 cache and the improved memory compression tech should level that out. Will it be enough? No idea ... they certainly aimed at higher speeds.

iwulff

Jun 3, 2017

Rx vega has 480gb/sec of bandwidth. This is less than the original fury X at 512gb/sec and also less than double polaris which rx vega has more than twice the tflops of. Add in Polaris was a bit memory starved, as adding only a memory overclock helped performance 6% and I would feel more confident in Vega scaling if it received the same boost in bandwidth as the core clock i.e 773gb/sec of bandwidth to match the 52% increase in tflops.

https://www.computerbase.de/2016-06/radeon-rx-480-test/12/
Vega uses further optimized compression technique compared to Polaris. Doesn't that save some bandwidth? Also why would a memory overclock with good performance gains indicate a bandwidth issue. Wouldn't the reserved be true?

SimianR

Mar 10, 2011
I'm confused as to why they decided to half the size of the memory bus on Vega compared to Fury? From the sounds of it this thing is still going to draw power like crazy so it doesn't seem like there was any huge power savings there. I guess using HBM2 offset the reduced bandwidth but I still wonder overall if the choice to use HBM/2 at all was the right one, especially with all the delays.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
The brushed aluminum does look nice, but I'm not a big fan of the color scheme. I don't think they'll keep the aluminum for the RX line, but the same Vega logo in red would look great on black.

Reactions: Phynaz

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Because TFLops != gaming performance at all. Its literally just the clocks * core count and ignores arch and the rest of the hardware required for gaming needs.

Trying to match TFLops to gaming performance for different architectures doesn't make any sense at all.

Which is exactly what you tried to do in the post I quoted you!!

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
The brushed aluminum does look nice, but I'm not a big fan of the color scheme. I don't think they'll keep the aluminum for the RX line, but the same Vega logo in red would look great on black.

The RX cards from this pic look to be black and white. Very good looking cards IMO.

AMD-Radeon-RX-Vega.jpg

T1beriu

Mar 3, 2017
It seems that Vega FE is cheaper than believed. -$999/1499.
AMD PR said:
Radeon Vega Frontier Edition graphics cards are available from etailers in select regions today with an SEP of $999 USD for the air-cooled edition. The water-cooled edition is expected to launch in Q3 with an SEP of $1499.

Source.

Vega FE comes with multiple driver options.
Radeon™ Vega Frontier Edition introduces “Gaming Mode”. This allows you to switch from Radeon™ Pro Settings to Radeon™ Settings where you can access gaming features for playtesting and performance optimization.
If you are focused on game development on a Windows® platform, get your driver here and switch to “Gaming Mode.

radeon-vega-frontier-edition-software-blog-game-development.jpg

LE: Other interesting tidbits.
Typical Engine Clock 1382 (MHz) / Peak Engine Clock 1600 (MHz)

LE2:

DP ratio is 1/16.
Typical Board Power (not to be confused with TDP) is <300W.
Memory type: HBC (High Bandwidth Cache, not HBM2).

Source.

radeon-vega-frontier-edition-software-blog-virtual-reality2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bacon1

T1beriu

Mar 3, 2017
Apparently Vega wasn't sampled to anybody and we probably don't get anything today. Ryan at Anandtech just confirmed this minutes ago.

I'm pretty sure that's because AMD hasn't finalised optimizing the gaming drivers, thus performance is looking really bad vs the competition and the card would be getting bad press. Or the stock is very low and they don't need reviews out yet because the cards will be sold out soon.

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
I'm pretty sure that's because AMD hasn't finalised optimizing the gaming drivers, thus performance is looking really bad vs the competition and the card would be getting bad press. Or the stock is very low and they don't need reviews out yet because the cards will be sold out soon.
Could be either of the two, or possibly both are true which is likely. At this point I'd take even a Doom Vulkan benchmark if we could get ANY meaningful numbers. I think most know I want AMD to succeed if nothing else than for renewed competition but this launch is just confounding.. what are they thinking right now?

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
Typical engine clock-Peak engine clock (MHz): 1382-1600

Next pressing question is how sustainable the peak frequency is.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Disappointing that there aren't any review units going out. Hopefully people who pre-ordered get their cards and can start posting benchmarks just to give us an idea of what kind of baseline performance we can expect.

Yes, we can always use "the drivers aren't ready" excuse, but at this point AMD should have had near-enough final hardware for months, so I question how much of an improvement we can realistically expect in a month. The anecdotal reports from the recent previews suggested that it's probably closer to the 1080Ti in performance than a 1080, so if AMD can ship RX Vega at $600, I think it can still be a successful product.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
It seems that Vega FE is cheaper than believed. -$999/1499.

Source.

Vega FE comes with multiple driver options.

LE: Other interesting tidbits.

LE2:

DP ratio is 1/16.
Typical Board Power (not to be confused with TDP) is <300W.
Memory type: HBC (High Bandwidth Cache, not HBM2).

Source.
Now this is interesting to me. Does this imply that the Vega FE will be compatible with standard Radeon drivers? I wonder if this means we can get some good gaming performance estimations from it (yes yes, caveat, might not be finalized drivers.)

Let's get this party going!

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
drivers are ready for vega for gaming.Someone buy that thing and test it
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/frontier?os=Windows+10+-+64

I Am Focused on Game Development Workloads
Radeon™ Vega Frontier Edition introduces “Gaming Mode”. This allows you to switch from Radeon™ Pro Settings to Radeon™ Settings where you can access gaming features for playtesting and performance optimization.
If you are focused on game development on a Windows® platform, get your driver here and switch to “Gaming Mode.”

I Just Want to Game
If you want to game on a Windows® platform, get your driver here and switch to “Gaming Mode.”
http://pro.radeon.com/en-us/product/radeon-vega-frontier-edition/

Status
Not open for further replies.