Vega 10 could launch in 1H 2017, possibly March 2017 (Fudzilla)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
1H 2017 is pretty much what was expected all along. That October rumor might be a dual Polaris card to bridge the 6 month gap.

Expecting to see before Vega 10:

450 with 2 GB GDDR5 - Next 3 months.

485 with GDDRX5 with improved Polaris 10 chips. - end of the year

490 with GDDRX5 as the Dual 480. - end of the year.

495 with HBM2 / 8Gigs only, and 4 months before Vega 10 AND if this gets delayed as expecting.

May 11, 2008
1H 2017 is pretty much what was expected all along. That October rumor might be a dual Polaris card to bridge the 6 month gap.

If i am not mistaken, then crossfire with the newer cards work through the pcie port by making use of XDMA. No special link connectors are needed.

The only way two polaris would work is if they have a direct pcie link with each other and to the MB, but how that should be realized is anybodies guess. But a dual polaris die card with a pciex8 link to each other and a pciex8 link to the mainboard might not be welcome and perhaps have bottlenecks.

Or polaris does indeed have some GMI links. But i doubt that. Then again, i have no detailed information about what all logic inside a polaris die does. Who knows...

Piroko

Jan 10, 2013
If i am not mistaken, then crossfire with the newer cards work through the pcie port by making use of XDMA. No special link connectors are needed.

The only way two polaris would work is if they have a direct pcie link with each other and to the MB, but how that should be realized is anybodies guess.
The exact same way the HD 295 was done? I don't see how this could be an issue. Now, if a dual Polaris is worth buying is an entirely other question.

May 11, 2008
The exact same way the HD 295 was done? I don't see how this could be an issue. Now, if a dual Polaris is worth buying is an entirely other question.

That makes we wonder that they use the XDMA. Because i doubt GMI links existed prior Q3 2015(Launch date Q2 2014 for R9 295). Interesting, how would they connect the dies together ? Must be the XDMA, but what port ?

EDIT:
Wauw, talking about expensive, the R9 295x2 had a price of 1499 dollars.

Last edited:

Piroko

Jan 10, 2013
EDIT:
Wauw, talking about expensive, the R9 295x2 had a price of 1499 dollars.
Still half the price of its direct competitior back then :D

In the Q&A session at the end of film there is a question about GDDR5X in Polaris, and the answer for that question is: no.
Doesn't particularly surprise me, GDDR5X does need a modified memory controller afaik and that needs a new die/mask. Probably not worth the effort with an existing product if it can't jump into another performance category.