Vcore variation with load

red454

Oct 7, 2011
www.cardomain.com
On my old ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z board, my 2600K would idle at a low voltage and ramp up under load. That was before overclocking. I gave that board to my son and can't remember the BIOS settings that will return it to that "stock" function.

It stays at 1.25 volts all the time. I tried to set all the options to the factory defaults, but it seems there is some setting that is still in overclock mode.

I haven't fooled with the BIOS on my new Maximus V Formula board (3770K) and the CPU Vcore ramps up and down relative to load.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Vcore = Auto and it still sits at 1.25v's all the time?

If so then look in the energy savings stuff under advanced cpu config and make sure you enable any of them you disabled before.

Your running it at stock speeds now I'll assume.

red454

Oct 7, 2011
www.cardomain.com
Vcore = Auto and it still sits at 1.25v's all the time?

If so then look in the energy savings stuff under advanced cpu config and make sure you enable any of them you disabled before.

Your running it at stock speeds now I'll assume.

Trying to start him off at ground zero so, yes - all stock. I cleared the CMOS too. I'll take another look to see if I missed anything...

Ed1

Jan 8, 2001
Well if he set it to default settings it would be with energy speedstep and vcore set to auto .

Try, this . power down system , turn off PS if it has switch, pull plug from wall .

reset bios jumper or pull battery , reverse order and power up and see if it is better . also make sure in windows power option you have balanced option .

you should see cpu scale with speed and voltage .

red454

Oct 7, 2011
www.cardomain.com
Well if he set it to default settings it would be with energy speedstep and vcore set to auto .

Try, this . power down system , turn off PS if it has switch, pull plug from wall .

reset bios jumper or pull battery , reverse order and power up and see if it is better . also make sure in windows power option you have balanced option .

you should see cpu scale with speed and voltage .

I haven't gone to that extent just yet, but what is odd is that I power down, press the CMOS reset button (this particular motherboard has a dedicated CMOS reset button) and power up into the bios. The CPU voltage is now dropped to 1.120. (so it looks like it worked) I look over all the settings, set the SATA back to RAID (for the SRT functionality) save the BIOS and load the OS. After the OS loads, I run CPU-Z and the voltage jumps back to 1.25 and stays. It does vary a little, maybe +/- .04 volts, but nothing like the range of .978 to 1.27 like it use to do.

So I reboot and go back into the BIOS, and the voltage is now showing 1.25. And at this point, I have not touched anything. It is like the OS is controlling the Vcore. I looked at the power setting in Win 7, and the Balanced mode shows the CPU min. at 5% and max. at 100%.

I tried to go into Safe Mode, but CPU-z won't show a Vcore reading, and other utilities I have won't load in safe mode. So I can't look at the Vcore in safe mode.

Ed1

Jan 8, 2001
I haven't gone to that extent just yet, but what is odd is that I power down, press the CMOS reset button (this particular motherboard has a dedicated CMOS reset button) and power up into the bios. The CPU voltage is now dropped to 1.120. (so it looks like it worked) I look over all the settings, set the SATA back to RAID (for the SRT functionality) save the BIOS and load the OS. After the OS loads, I run CPU-Z and the voltage jumps back to 1.25 and stays. It does vary a little, maybe +/- .04 volts, but nothing like the range of .978 to 1.27 like it use to do.

So I reboot and go back into the BIOS, and the voltage is now showing 1.25. And at this point, I have not touched anything. It is like the OS is controlling the Vcore. I looked at the power setting in Win 7, and the Balanced mode shows the CPU min. at 5% and max. at 100%.

I tried to go into Safe Mode, but CPU-z won't show a Vcore reading, and other utilities I have won't load in safe mode. So I can't look at the Vcore in safe mode.
Ahh, I see .
Is the multiplier 16x at idle or is it 35x ?
trying to figure if its just voltage or if speedstep is not working, or both .

Only thing I can think of off hand is there is a OC profile loaded on the OS from Asus AI suite II .
Did you ever set up OC in windows with AI suite ?

Last edited:

red454

Oct 7, 2011
www.cardomain.com
Ahh, I see .

Only thing I can think of off hand is there is a OC profile loaded on the OS from Asus AI suite II .
Did you ever set up OC in windows with AI suite ?

Not intentionally - what I mean is I was setting up 3 computers at the same time. I think I hit the power up once but killed it before it finished. Well, I think I did. I can go in and disable AI Suite (to keep it from loading).

Ed1

Jan 8, 2001
Not intentionally - what I mean is I was setting up 3 computers at the same time. I think I hit the power up once but killed it before it finished. Well, I think I did. I can go in and disable AI Suite (to keep it from loading).

I never used it but am pretty sure you have to save a profile .

anyway, my guess is if you just stop it from loading at startup it will not be able to load any profile . use autoruns , I like that better than msconfig utility .