[VC] XFX R9 3X0 Leaks, Early April Delivery Indicated

artivix

May 5, 2014
XFX-Radeon-R9-370-GHOST-1.jpg

Few weeks ago, one of the commentators on our site claimed to work for XFX. He said, first GPU to enter mass production will not be a high-end part, and the production of R300 series will start right after Chinese New Year.

Well, guess what, I think he was actually saying the truth, as new leak (also from XFX) just came out.

AMD Radeon R9 370 is supposedly equipped with Trinidad PRO processor. XFX is working on R9 370 Core Edition (R9-370A-ENF) equipped with 2GB and 4GB GDDR5 memory across 256-bit interface. The card will be powered by single 6-pin power connector and will require 110W to 130W. XFX R9 370 Core Edition will be equipped with two Dual-DVI ports, HDMI and DisplayPort.

That said, Trinidad is Curacao (Pitcairn) replacement. Radeon R9 370X will most likely feature Trinidad XT, whilst R9 370 will feature PRO variant according to this leak.

Most importantly, R9 370 launch is currently planned for early April, which means it either is, or will soon enter mass production.

Shows 2GB and 4GB option and the length of 167mm is one of the most compact graphics cards with one 6-pin connector and average of ~120w compared to 25-35w higher R9 270.

The second screen cap at VC shows the delivery date of early April and also a speculative chart of rest of the lineup.

The Korea RRA database indicated a second card that passed and could be either the 370x or 380x.

http://videocardz.com/55051/xfx-radeon-r9-370-core-edition-leaks-out-coming-early-april

Last edited:

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
Man, I thought there was more information than this when I saw the title! The anticipation is killing me, despite not having money to buy anything at all, lol.

Feb 19, 2009
A lot of sites that claim AMD is going to re-brand Hawaii without a replacement GPU to compete with 970/980 is going to have egg on their faces. It's a ridiculous assumption because R290/X cannot compete with 970/980 long term (its only a stop gap solution). It uses 75-100W more and is slower. Nobody in their right mind would buy it when its priced similar to the 970. If its priced much lower, AMD may as well burn money because a 512 bit bus PCB with that TDP and 4GB vram is not cheap for their margins & AIB profits to be worthwhile.

JDG1980

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2013
Interesting. If "Trinidad" is the new R9 370, then where does that leave room for Tonga? These screenshots don't indicate Trinidad's shader and ROP counts, but they do indicate a 256-bit bus with 4GB of RAM - the same bus width and more memory than Tonga. The general consensus was that although the delta color compression technology was promising, Tonga was largely a bust - a larger transistor count than Tahiti, and not much more efficient. I suspect that once Tonga's lackluster reviews hit, and mid-core Maxwell started to decimate AMD's market share, they quickly went back to the drawing board to respin. I really hope they managed to pull a rabbit out of their hat this time - the market needs competition.

Feb 19, 2009
Tonga isn't even sold over here. With the full Tonga going to Apple, that is about all we'll see of it. A stop-gap, testing new tech measure that is luckily scooped up by Apple. Not sure why Apple went with it, they could have gone with Maxwell instead.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
This is exactly what I expected. I expect R9 370X to be a 1536 sp , 2 shader engine, 2 tesselation engine, 2 raster engine, 32 ROP, 256 bit memory bus chip. R9 370 would be 1408 sp and the rest of the specs would be same as R9 370X. I expect the microarchitectural improvements in GCN 2.0 to put the performance of R9 370X on par with HD 7970(925 Mhz). There was a mention of a tiled GCN architecture to improve workload management in R9 3xx. Basically better perf/sp and perf/watt. If AMD can have R9 370X cards with single 6 pin connectors and less than 200 mm boards it would be a good competitor to GTX 960.

As for R9 380 and R9 380X its almost assured that they are HBM based. R9 380X - 3072 sp, 4 shader engine, 4 tesselation engine, 4 raster engine, 64 ROPs, 4GB HBM.

The high end flagship would be R9 390X - 4096 sp, 4 shader engines, 4 tesselation engines, 4 raster engines. The VRAM is where I am guessing AMD will surprise everyone with 8 GB HBM. Some kind of interleaved memory design. I don't see AMD coming out with a 4 GB flagship. Its either unified HBM with 6 - 8 GB HBM or hybrid memory setup (HBM + GDDR5). The second option would throw up issues so I think AMD are likely to have gone the first route.

With significant improvements in tesselation and raster performance (fill rate) , bandwidth efficiency improvements due to color compression and shader efficiency improvements the R9 3xx series will be very competitive. In fact I am quite confident AMD R9 390X will take the GPU crown from Titan-X.

As for Tonga it has no more role to play. It has served its purpose as a test bed chip to test out many architectural improvements and AMD also got into the iMac with the M295X which was a fully enabled Tonga.

Last edited:

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
Interesting. If "Trinidad" is the new R9 370, then where does that leave room for Tonga?

A tweaked Tonga could be the new 360x but I doubt it. I bet they have a fully enabled chip to replace bonaire that has nothing to do with Tonga. I'd love it if they called it Maui.

ThatBuzzkiller

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2014
Tonga isn't even sold over here. With the full Tonga going to Apple, that is about all we'll see of it. A stop-gap, testing new tech measure that is luckily scooped up by Apple. Not sure why Apple went with it, they could have gone with Maxwell instead.

Cause Nvidia is too stubborn to support OpenCl so Apple went with AMD ...

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010

Also if I remember correctly tonga was out before maxwell ;)

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
The Korea RRA database indicated a second card that passed and could be either the 370x or 380x.

The second card in the korean DB was a 2GB DDR3 card.

PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD ASSEMBLY (VIDEO GRAPHIC CARD)HF SAMOA 2GB DDR3 900E/1000M P/N:102-C87001-00

Last edited:

zornem7

Jan 10, 2015
This is exactly what I expected. I expect R9 370X to be a 1536 sp , 2 shader engine, 2 tesselation engine, 2 raster engine, 32 ROP, 256 bit memory bus chip. R9 370 would be 1408 sp and the rest of the specs would be same as R9 370X. I expect the microarchitectural improvements in GCN 2.0 to put the performance of R9 370X on par with HD 7970(925 Mhz). There was a mention of a tiled GCN architecture to improve workload management in R9 3xx. Basically better perf/sp and perf/watt. If AMD can have R9 370X cards with single 6 pin connectors and less than 200 mm boards it would be a good competitor to GTX 960.

As for R9 380 and R9 380X its almost assured that they are HBM based. R9 380X - 3072 sp, 4 shader engine, 4 tesselation engine, 4 raster engine, 64 ROPs, 4GB HBM.

The high end flagship would be R9 390X - 4096 sp, 4 shader engines, 4 tesselation engines, 4 raster engines. The VRAM is where I am guessing AMD will surprise everyone with 8 GB HBM. Some kind of interleaved memory design. I don't see AMD coming out with a 4 GB flagship. Its either unified HBM with 6 - 8 GB HBM or hybrid memory setup (HBM + GDDR5). The second option would throw up issues so I think AMD are likely to have gone the first route.

With significant improvements in tesselation and raster performance (fill rate) , bandwidth efficiency improvements due to color compression and shader efficiency improvements the R9 3xx series will be very competitive. In fact I am quite confident AMD R9 390X will take the GPU crown from Titan-X.

Looks like the 370/370x would be great for the palmtop ITX builds at around 7 inches and could become the new base model standard for the Steam PCs.

Also, if the 4GB 370x performance is about 280x level with enough headroom and cooling, then considering the trend with newer games like Evolve running Cryengine and growing number of software that need GPU compute, AMD has developed an upgraded high efficiency GCN that performs higher than a GTX 960 and is even capable of being a [3.5GB] GTX 970 hunter killer.

Reading some of the other forums, after a long absence, the appearance of a post from Dave Baumann on Beyond 3D seems like an indication that AMD is a about to launch in the next few weeks.

Last edited:

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Mar 22, 2014
Reading some of the other forums, after a long absence, the appearance of a post from Dave Baumann on Beyond 3D seems like an indication that AMD is a about to launch in the next few weeks.

Insert heavy breathing cat gif here.

But seriously, if the card entered production after Chinese New Year and are supposed to launch "early" April, where are the leaks? It's not beyond the realm of possibility that AMD plugged most spills, but something has to give sooner or later, right? We're potentially less than a month away from launch.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
Insert heavy breathing cat gif here.

But seriously, if the card entered production after Chinese New Year and are supposed to launch "early" April, where are the leaks? It's not beyond the realm of possibility that AMD plugged most spills, but something has to give sooner or later, right? We're potentially less than a month away from launch.

This is amd we are talking about, please rapidly lower your expectation lest you be disappointed me matey (don't know why I went pirate).

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
If im not mistaken, Chinese New Year was at 19th February 2015. If production started after the 20th of February 2015 then it will take at least 2-3 months for the first cards to be ready in Retail. April seams to soon for that.

Also, If the date of the production is true(late February 2015), then those are not manufactured in TSMC. ;)

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
If im not mistaken, Chinese New Year was at 19th February 2015. If production started after the 20th of February 2015 then it will take at least 2-3 months for the first cards to be ready in Retail. April seams to soon for that.

Also, If the date of the production is true(late February 2015), then those are not manufactured in TSMC. ;)

TSMCs production isnt affected by chinese new year. Its mainly the low skilled assembly jobs that is. Also its not exactly a long time either.

Shehriazad

Nov 3, 2014
Aiiiish....I need benchmarks and power draw data. Hurry up AMD...show us if you still got some moves in your little box @-@

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
Why and how are the important specs like sp count missing?

This is such a tease!!!!!

Man......
Its kind of worthless. We have nothing to go on but wild wild speculations.

So, there has been one person speculating this card will be as fast as the hd 7970, Another claiming the 280x, and I think one person says it will beat up on the gtx970.

I am gonna pick the r9 280. Just based off the name and nothing else. It can't get anymore wild than that. I speculate this card leaked will be as fast as the r9 280 and the 370x will be as fast as the r9 280x. Just based off the name and nothing more.

what i will state is, isn't it interesting the random information that "leaked"? What is more interesting is all the stuff that somehow didn't. I mean, its beyond suspicious. When have we seen a leak like this? We know the power connector count and the model number, the bus size and the memory..........but nothing on the sp count?

No shipping label of this chip, not really anything. And then today we have very specific and perfectly picked aspects leaked in the most unusual way. Since when do we know the length of the pcb and the amount of power connectors and not have anything on the SP count, ROPs, etc.

I can't think of any leak like this. Never before.

Interesting indeed

Last edited:

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
what i will state is, isn't it interesting the random information that "leaked"? What is more interesting is all the stuff that somehow didn't. I mean, its beyond suspicious. When have we seen a leak like this? We know the power connector count and the model number, the bus size and the memory..........but nothing on the sp count?

No shipping label of this chip, not really anything. And then today we have very specific and perfectly picked aspects leaked in the most unusual way. Since when do we know the length of the pcb and the amount of power connectors and not have anything on the SP count, ROPs, etc.

Interesting indeed

We've seen customs/shipment information drawn on as the primary substance to click magnet leaks for previous gpu families. In this case it looks to be a retail card which is farther along than we've seen for the flagship 300 series Radeon.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Why and how are the important specs like sp count missing?

This is such a tease!!!!!

Man......
Its kind of worthless. We have nothing to go on but wild wild speculations.

So, there has been one person speculating this card will be as fast as the hd 7970, Another claiming the 280x, and I think one person says it will beat up on the gtx970.

I am gonna pick the r9 280. Just based off the name and nothing else. It can't get anymore wild than that. I speculate this card leaked will be as fast as the r9 280 and the 370x will be as fast as the r9 280x. Just based off the name and nothing more.

Interesting indeed

Maybe these are AMD approved leaks? Both camps have to be somewhat amused reading the countless speculation threads all over the net.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Maybe these are AMD approved leaks? Both camps have to be somewhat amused reading the countless speculation threads all over the net.

^^ This.

Slowly releasing data drums up lots of interest so by the time the release is here, people are practically clawing up the walls to get the full list of details. Not that a 370/370X is a huge deal since its a mid tier product, but its better than nothing.

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005

It would explain the timing being so close to the NVIDIA free Witcher 3 announcement... Then again, it's not like AMD/NVIDIA can really control any of this or do anything about it. If I had the time, I would go back and look at web history to compare official announcements with leaks and see if there's a pattern.

/foilhat

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Would love it if they released a card called the 3X0. Very 90s, reminds me of those animés set in "20XX".