vasectomy for him or BC for her?

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
IMHO, the Pill should not be considered as a long term solution. Most doctors encourage women to take a break after 10 years.

There are a lot of studies out there with conflicting results about what the pill does and does not do for women. The truth is, no one really knows just yet. It's reasonably safe, but the final results are not in yet.

So, the Pill is fine up to a point... but there comes a time when more permanent measures may need to be taken.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
A quick and simple vasectomy is far more superior form of birth control in many ways...provided you truely have no desire to have children in the future.

First off, a vasectomy is an outpatient surgery. Get numbed, sliced, sewn and out the door you go. You are recovered within a month. Most men after a couple months time are "back to normal".

Birth control pills for women are a biological/hormonal method. They are far more at risk, are are not as effective as a vasectomy.

Besides some discomfort for a couple weeks after a vasectomy, I've heard of very few men complaining about side effects. The pill on the other hand, along with the depo shot, and the norplant implant have many various side effects ranging from the annoying - like head aches, to the dangerous - birth defects if a child is concieved while the mother is on the pill.

Also, the pill is very dangerous to women who smoke.

All in all, the snip for the men is the way to go.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
You could always do the 'ol "squeeze and freeze" before the surgery.

aUt0eXebat

Banned
Oct 9, 2000
hmm well i dont know what to do.... the V dosnt sound fun... the BC ppl say isnt real good.... and condoms are a pain....

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
Although the pill, as well as norplants and depo-vera, has some benefits besides prohibiting pregnancy, they really shouldn't be taken long-term. My doctor told me they lose effectiveness, and especially if you are smoking, taking them doesn't do you any good after a certain time.
Female sterilization isn't as effective as it is for men, so I'd have to say a vasectomy is the way to go :)

And if you think you might change your mind about having kids you can always have some of your sperm frozen for "future usage".

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Vasectomy doesn't really have any bad effects. No, uhh.. "performance loss"..and isn't it also possible to reverse the procedure (even if there's a chance of it not being successful)? With the woman's surgery, there is chance of complications.

At least guys won't lose their...bag of apples...like the poor dogs and puppies of this world!

<< You could always do the 'ol &quot;squeeze and freeze&quot; before the surgery. >>

hehe...there is that too.