Vandalism in my apt. complex

thereds

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2000
Recently, there have been a number of automobiles that have had their windows shattered and stuff from inside stolen. The apt. is gated but as we all know that doesn't really make much of a difference since the thief/vandal could be an insider.

In any case, my question is this. Say my car gets broken into, can I claim insurance using my automobile policy (I don't think this works but it doesn't hurt to ask). Or, can I get renters insurance and once that kicks in, will I be able to claim renters insurance in case something happens.

What do you guys think?

snakesnfrogs

Banned
Mar 1, 2001
Your auto insurance would cover the damage to the car itself(assuming you have comprehensive coverage)but probably won't cover anything stolen from it(radio, amp, CD's, etc.). I'm not sure about renter's insurance, but our homeowners covered the theft when I had some things stolen from the car.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
When my old Miata was broken (cut) into, the insurrance company covered every thing except the CDs and the radar detector.

thereds

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2000
I have full comp on my car. Does it matter which insurance company you use? I'm guessing different ones treat you differently, right?

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
You got it, thereds. But most of them don't cover the easily stolen items like radar detectors and CDs. Call them and find out.

SoyBoy004

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2000
same thing happened to us. my apt complex has a gated garage, but the person still got in and managed to steal hecka stuff. the apt isn't responsible.