Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 75% Off on Steam

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Does the Steam version or the unofficial patches fix that nasty bug with 4GB+ of RAM on 64 bit OSs?

The Steam version doesn't fix the memory bug, but the unofficial patch does. The patch is essential if you want to run the game correctly on newer systems.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
^ both the Wesp and Tessera patches now include

- last official patch (so no need to install it first)
- > 4GB fix
- low-res textures fix
- a zillion bug fixes

With Wesp you also get game design changes if you choose "Plus" instead of "Basic"

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
The Steam version doesn't fix the memory bug, but the unofficial patch does. The patch is essential if you want to run the game correctly on newer systems.

Ah good. I haven't played through VTMB since 2006. Might be time for another round.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Does the Steam version or the unofficial patches fix that nasty bug with 4GB+ of RAM on 64 bit OSs?

I've read that the "true patch" edition addresses "issues" with 64-bit OS's, but I'm not sure what those issues are. I imagine the "unofficial patch" does something similar.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Still one of the most seductively atmospheric games I've ever played. People still talk about it for good reason. It's worth checking out for anyone who is into computer gaming.

I just finished my first Chinatown missions and discovered the hideout of the Nosferatu, and I wanted to chime in and say how much I agree with this comment. The scene design, ambient sounds, dialog, all of it creates this really eerie, desolate feel to the city. You know a game is well-designed when it so easily overcomes the fact that the gameplay and graphics date from seven years ago. The Nosferatu warrens, in particular, struck me as one of the coolest environments ever. Really got a kick out of that place.

Someone else mentioned that the missions focus more on combat toward the end. I'm not sure how far along I am, but I've noticed there are often simple tactical solutions to seemingly tough boss battles. I won't give anything away here, but there is a simple way to kill the commandos in the Van Helsing experiment at Fu Syndicate, there's a simple way to take out Bishop Vick, and a comically simple and effective way to take out Andre in the first encounter, etc. So far it seems like they usually give you the choice of blasting away or thinking your way out of a situation, and since you can save anywhere you can try different things.

So far this is one of the best Steam bargains ever, for me. Ranks up there with getting Railworks 2 for less than five bucks.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
Yes, you start with a certain level of Humanity that is lost by making some of the more evil choices such as feeding on humans to the point that they die.

You're one of the damned, but you can still act in a mostly good manner.

I don't usually play games like GTA IV where the only path is criminal or evil, and I have no problems with the choices in this game

I never killed an innocent in GTA IV and never stole a car except where required by the plot ( a few quests remove your car then tell you to "get a car"). I was 'good' imho, more a story of a man who came to america for a better life only to get in with the wrong people and end up screwed.