ValVe, what the hell?

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
It seems that ValVe is trying to justify having to buy HL2, E1 and E2 by saying: "You can give the games you already own to your friends."
Any of you other Steam users go "WTF?!" I'll try to find the news post when I get on my home compy with Steam installed.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
I'm not paying full price for 1 game I already own, .33333% of a game (EP1) I already own and found somewhat boring anyway, and .44444% of a game (EP2) I haven't played yet.

I wonder if Valve is getting greedy to the point of serious detriment to their products. Supposedly the reason EP2 has taken a full year+ too long was becuase they were working on console ports, and if the only way to get EP2 is to buy the full package, it's not good.

I won't buy EP2 if it's over 20-30 bucks. The idea of "giving the game to friends" is dumb, someone needs to wack their marketing dept over the head with a crowbar

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Yeah I seen that too. WTF?

There is no way I'm buying that orange box mostly aimed for the consoles unless I have a friend who wanted HL2/CS:S anyway and would split the cost. I already bought their damn $60 pack when HL2 came out. How could they possibly think that we want two copies of almost everything?? Yeah it sounds peachy in theory to give to friends, but who has money to pay for games for their friends?! I want EP1, EP2, and TF2 for $30, maybe $40 max. They would be stupid to not do something like that or smaller/single packages for cheaper.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
so wait
so they are pegging the Radeon HD 2900 XT at the $399 price point and throwing in a free Valve game bundle (Half-Life 2 : Episode 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal)

will this still come with the card?

Cause that's how I was planning on getting my TF2-HL2Ep2+Portal...

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: novasatori
so wait
so they are pegging the Radeon HD 2900 XT at the $399 price point and throwing in a free Valve game bundle (Half-Life 2 : Episode 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal)

will this still come with the card?

Cause that's how I was planning on getting my TF2-HL2Ep2+Portal...

yep, i paid $320 at Best Buy over a month ago for the then named Valve "Black-Box" Bundle - and got my free VisionTek 2900xt along with it
--i also forgot my original Steam password for Ep1 ... so i don't mind an extra D/L.

Oct 19, 2000
Are you guys serious? There is no way in hell I'm buying the same game twice, unless Episode 2 turns out to be 15 hours of gameplay.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i thought in one article it said if you buy the boxed version from a store, you have to pay for everything, but if you bought through steam, you could pick and choose?

imported_FishTaco

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2004
Valve still hasn't announced the exact packages they'll be offering through Steam. I'm guessing that's where you'll be able to buy a separate package without HL2 or EP1. However, for retail purchase, you are limited to the Orange Box, which includes HL2 and EP1 in addition to EP2, TF2 and Portal.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: FishTaco
Valve still hasn't announced the exact packages they'll be offering through Steam. I'm guessing that's where you'll be able to buy a separate package without HL2 or EP1. However, for retail purchase, you are limited to the Orange Box, which includes HL2 and EP1 in addition to EP2, TF2 and Portal.

from the update:
A note to owners of Half-Life 2 and Episode 1: If you buy the boxed retail version of The Orange Box, you can simply hand-off the games you already own to a friend. Or, you can give away the games within Steam. When you install the Orange Box, Steam will identify the duplicate games and let you send them as gifts to a friend, which will enable them to download the games from Steam for free.

OK for me since i lost the password to my original Steam account for Half-Life 2 and Episode 1

. . . and it looks like Lost Planet has a new update via Steam

Trevelyan

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2000

Exactly.

I'm pretty sure Valve will offer a standalone Steam version of the EP2--Portal--TF2 package. At least, I really think they would piss off a lot of customers if they didn't.

I can understand not releasing a bunch of different packages in retail, since it might confuse new customers, but they better offer a cheaper Steam version of just the games I don't have already...

Trevelyan

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: apoppin

from the update:
A note to owners of Half-Life 2 and Episode 1: If you buy the boxed retail version of The Orange Box, you can simply hand-off the games you already own to a friend. Or, you can give away the games within Steam. When you install the Orange Box, Steam will identify the duplicate games and let you send them as gifts to a friend, which will enable them to download the games from Steam for free.

OK for me since i lost the password to my original Steam account for Half-Life 2 and Episode 1

But that is only saying that they can give the duplicates away if they buy the boxed, retail version. To me, that seems to imply they will offer a Steam version without the duplicates.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
My understanding is that TF2, Ep2 and Portal will each be available for $19.95 or so, the standard price. This article is only regarding the bundle which includes all three. If you buy the bundle, HL2 and EP1 are thrown in. From a pricing point of view, it makes more sense to buy the package if you want all three extra games. If you only want one or another, buy them individually.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Trevelyan

from the update:

But that is only saying that they can give the duplicates away if they buy the boxed, retail version. To me, that seems to imply they will offer a Steam version without the duplicates.

nope that is not what it says - read it again:

1) "If you buy the boxed retail version of The Orange Box, you can simply hand-off the games you already own to a friend."

--You can give them the physical CD by hand

or

2) "Or, you can give away the games within Steam. When you install the Orange Box, Steam will identify the duplicate games and let you send them as gifts to a friend, which will enable them to download the games"

--OR you can give them away "within Steam" ... sending the D/L key to your friends ... notice "when you install the Orange Box" from Steam you are STILL having "gifts" to toss.

either way - the "Orange Box" - retail boxed or D/Led - you are *stuck* with HL1/Ep1 :p

Noema

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005
Well, I'd defenitly pay up to $30 for Ep.2, Portals and TF2, or up to $20 for a stand-alone Ep.2.

But there no way in hell I'm paying >$50 for games I already own.

Is there any official word from Valve? All the statements quoted above are somewhat vague...I know the only way of getting Ep.2 in Retail is with this "Orange Box" thing, but what about Steam?

I don't even care that much about Half Life 2 anymore for me to really bother with all this non-sense, specially with games like Bioshock and Crysis on the horizon.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I don't think they mean handing off the discs. Either there are separate keys to register or there are special subset keys that are tied into the main Orange Box key and will deduct the dupe from your account when registered or register it outright if you haven't used yours yet.

Edit: Either way, you just hand them the keys and they will register them with STEAM unless they just mis-worded that and the electronic STEAM transfer is the only way.

HVAC

May 27, 2001
/assembles camping chair next to lupi
/nods and smiles while sitting
/hands lupi a golf pencil and scorecard:
___ "No way in hell I am...
___"...paying for same game again."
___"...giving anything away."
___"...ever buying a damn thing again from those #(&%-tards at Valve!"
___ "I think the whole thing is a good idea"
___ "I like giving Valve my money. It makes me feel good."
___ "I don't understand. Is steam broke and I have to buy all my games again?"
___ "WTF?!? OMG!!! HL2roolz ... dood!!!!!11oneoneone

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I got my money worth from the DVD edition of HL2 already. Sin episode 1 was worth the money, and Half Life 2, Episode 1 was worth the money.

After all that I just dont care anymore. Theres a handful of promising titles coming out this year and if they suck I'll probably be giving up on PC gaming anyway. I need to get my butt into college and get a degree, even if its Liberal Arts I'd feel like I accomplished something. Playing video games just rots my brain (even though its lots of fun).

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
blah. I'm not too concerned or pissed. When I bought my 7900 GT, it came with HL2: EP1 for free anyways... we'll see how this develops. Stop speculating, this is the problem in today's gaming community. These developers announce months even years in advanced and all these kiddies cry and begin to develop theories and assumptions without the game even being released!!!! Just play some other game until the one you're waiting for is released!!! jesus, what difference can you make!?

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
Originally posted by: DannyLove
Stop speculating, this is the problem in today's gaming community.

I usually don't speculate, but this is just so fucked up.
"Yeah, it's okay to buy games that you've played three-one years ago again. You can just give them to your friends. Hey, you'll get some points from your friends."

Trevelyan

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Trevelyan

from the update:

nope that is not what it says - read it again:

1) "If you buy the boxed retail version of The Orange Box, you can simply hand-off the games you already own to a friend."

--You can give them the physical CD by hand

or

2) "Or, you can give away the games within Steam. When you install the Orange Box, Steam will identify the duplicate games and let you send them as gifts to a friend, which will enable them to download the games"

--OR you can give them away "within Steam" ... sending the D/L key to your friends ... notice "when you install the Orange Box" from Steam you are STILL having "gifts" to toss.

either way - the "Orange Box" - retail boxed or D/Led - you are *stuck* with HL1/Ep1 :p

No, no no... that definitely doesn't say if you buy through Steam you have to buy the whole package. When you install the package, you have to register it through Steam. So regardless of whether you buy through Steam, or purchase retail, you will be using Steam to play the game. So if you already own the games in Steam, and purchase the retail package, you will be able to give the games to your friends. But that doesn't mean you won't be able to purchase Ep2/Portal/TF2 separately through Steam.

Just read the forums at SteamPowered.com... the FAQ says as much.