Valve to add new weapons to TF2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SexyK

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2001
I could see the engineer adding a "health machine" that heals faster but doesn't dispense metal/ammo and/or a "metal machine" that spits out metal and ammo at a rapid pace, but doesn't heal. Demoman detpack or tripwire makes sense. Maybe the heavy could trade the massive minigun for something a bit smaller with less ammo in exchange for increased movement speed. Hmm.. what else.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: skace
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Also, prepare for a slight nerf. I read an alleged email that stated that soldiers would get more splash damage from their own rockets. It makes sense. I'm not sure about the exact numbers, but I've seen soldeirs fire at least six shots into the ground a few feet away and keep running. I play demoman most of the time and in close range combat my stickies give me a good thrashing.

Well, that isn't because splash damage is weak, but some sort of bug, IMO. As a soldier, when you go to rocket jump sometimes the rocket will fire right behind/under you, but not throw you anywhere and you won't take any damage. But when the rocket does hit properly, you take plenty of damage, and definitely CANNOT survive 6 of them. This usually only happens when rocket jumping. Never had it happen, say, firing point blank into a person, as those types of shots will always give you appropriate splash damage.

The bug isn't major, since you can't exploit it, if the rocket doesn't do any damage you don't get the boost and have to fire another to get your rj.

Edit: And if Soldiers do get nerfed, enjoy playing with 10 pyros per team, I guarantee you won't like it, especially Red Storm playing as a spy. You won't make it 10 feet.

I'm not talking about six rocket jumps, but the guy firing a few feet away infront of himself. I just did a quick experiment and with a shot aimed about three feet away, I survived five so I was only off by one. It's really not a major imbalance, in my book, as it's very situational, so I'm expecting a minor tweak in the range of 15-20% self damage increase.

As a demo, when I sticky bomb jump, I'm left with 104 HP which is less than half what I start with. As a soldier, you have a lot more than that.

Superrock

Oct 28, 2000
Originally posted by: AVP

Heavy - take control and aim sg for a short period.

Reminds me of Halo where a player can rip out a sg and use it as a gun.

In an alternate view, I can imagine an engineer squatting on the shoulders of a heavy with a sg strapped to his back. It be like one of those old school mecha robots.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
It would rock if they would add a new sentry that can shoot undercover spies or point them out. But then they'd have to gimp the gun so bad that it will only be good for tagging.

The idea about a mountable gun would be awesome... HW gun on a eack.

bdude

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2004
Scout needs a single use smoke bomb to get into areas with sentry guns.

Gautama2

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
A throwable sentry gun, similar to the laptop gun in Perfect Dark.

Would work well for the aggresive engy, quick to set up and can hide it in places people wont look.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
As a demo, when I sticky bomb jump, I'm left with 104 HP which is less than half what I start with. As a soldier, you have a lot more than that.

And you go further. The health you lose is based on the damage it does, as is the distance. If you want rockets to take off that much health when I rocket jump ,then they are going to do similar damage when fired. Trust me, you won't like that change at all.

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004
I really like the idea of throwable sentries (level 1 only of course)...and smoke grenades for the scouts. they are too underpowered vs engies, so this would give them a slight chance at survival when charging into open areas.

Lorax

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2000
secondary weapons other than pistols/shotguns would be nice. maybe a smg or two.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Haven't play TF2, only TF, so maybe some of this stuff DOES exist, but I like the ideas anyway.

What about a "decoy" type weapon that attracts the attention of Sentry guns to wherever it may be thrown so a player can slip safely past them?

You could take almost any weapon, lower the capacity and fire rate a bit and make the ammo mildly explosive. Would be great to keep a sniper from poking their head around a corner when they have you pinned down. Not really designed to kill, but it certainly can if someone takes a few direct hits. The sort of thing where maybe 20-30 rounds of splash damage will kill, but you'd have to be dumb to sit close enough and keep getting slowly pummeled.

Maybe a shotgun that shoots some sort of "sticky" round that slows people down or covers their screen with goo so their vision is partially obscured.

Bouncy bullets that ricochet for a few seconds or until something is hit... gradually lose power until they quit.

A fake flag (I think it's a briefcase now?" that someone can throw down... when someone picks it up it'll disappear after a certain amount of time. IE: Someone attempts to steal flag, gets shot up in base, someone deploys the fake nearby, an enemy grabs that instead and runs off with it, real flag is safe.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Capitalizt
I really like the idea of throwable sentries (level 1 only of course)...and smoke grenades for the scouts. they are too underpowered vs engies, so this would give them a slight chance at survival when charging into open areas.

Scout do NOT need anything to help them versus sentries.

#1) I've played as a scout during rounds where the other team had no engies and I was unstoppable. Nobody can hit you. SGs are the one thing keeping scouts under control right now.

#2) I've taken out lvl 3 SGs from multiple ranges as a scout with ease. Obviously you can't dop it with the other team logging grenades and raining chain gun fire at you, but if you are alone with one it's no problem.