Valve to add new weapons to TF2

Dec 27, 2001
Apparently, the first weapon pack will go to the medic and will be released with the new gameplay mode. Each class will get two new weapons which will be unlocked by completing achievements. One of those medic weapons will replace the standard healing gun and will differ in that it will give a 100% max HP boost rather than 50% and will uber much more slowly or possibly not at all (presumeably depending on how their playtesting is going).

It seems like the intention is not for the new weapons to be superior to what is available now, but, rather, to be different and offer new play style options. It sounds cool, but now I'm wondering what new they could add to each class that would not unbalance them add also be thematically-consistent.

So, what are your suggestions? Better yet, if you know for sure, go ahead and share.

I'll start with two I thought of.

Engineer - An option to place a sentry gun that can't be sapped but also can't be upgraded.
Demoman - A remote control bomb. You control it and see only what it sees. Faster than a scout with the strength of a sticky bomb but can only be initiated from a cap point thereby leaving you in a vulnerable position.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
What I want for the Pyro is a weapon that makes it so the flames will stay on the target until its death UNLESS he/she finds a Medic or a Dispenser, or goes back to a spawn point to get healing A.S.A.P. I always thought that the Pyro's current flame thrower would do just that, but right now the flames eventually extinguish themselves over time without doing much damage. The only two classes that really hate the Pyro is the Spy, of course, and the Scout, but even the Medic don't really care unless he doesn't have any support, since he himself will regenerate his health.

The Pyro should just be a nuisance AND a danger for all classes except for another Pyro, in my opinion. So basically I want to see a new weapon doing that, or its current flame thrower changed to do just that. I like the Pyro but I don't play it much because, let's face it, that guy is the weakest of all the classes. I can take down more Heavies as a Medic for crying out loud...

DrVos

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2002
It'd be neat to see the pyro's flames be able to spread from one victim to anyone touching him.
Maybe he could shoot out some sort of flammable gel that would continue to burn on any surface for a couple of seconds? It be neat to be able to create walls of flame or actually have a chance to take out SG's

The remote control bomb for the demoman sounds like a cool idea.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
WTB sniper rifle that's chargable without zooming, release the click button to fire, kills everyone but heavies with 1 shot to the chest, and has significant knockback. Sigh, I've played the sniper so much, but it just depresses me more and more knowing that given just about any situation there's a class that perform better than sniper. They need to bring back TFC sniper goodness : (

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu
WTB sniper rifle that's chargable without zooming, release the click button to fire, kills everyone but heavies with 1 shot to the chest, and has significant knockback. Sigh, I've played the sniper so much, but it just depresses me more and more knowing that given just about any situation there's a class that perform better than sniper. They need to bring back TFC sniper goodness : (

I miss the sniper rifle that gibbed everyone as well :( but you gotta admit, that thing was pretty damn overpowered.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Zenoth
What I want for the Pyro is a weapon that makes it so the flames will stay on the target until its death UNLESS he/she finds a Medic or a Dispenser, or goes back to a spawn point to get healing A.S.A.P. I always thought that the Pyro's current flame thrower would do just that, but right now the flames eventually extinguish themselves over time without doing much damage. The only two classes that really hate the Pyro is the Spy, of course, and the Scout, but even the Medic don't really care unless he doesn't have any support, since he himself will regenerate his health.

The Pyro should just be a nuisance AND a danger for all classes except for another Pyro, in my opinion. So basically I want to see a new weapon doing that, or its current flame thrower changed to do just that. I like the Pyro but I don't play it much because, let's face it, that guy is the weakest of all the classes. I can take down more Heavies as a Medic for crying out loud...

I'm assuming Valve is pretty happy with the current balance....as they should be....it's great. So for these new weapons, if you're going to beef a flamethrower up by making the flames unquenchable then you need to counterbalance it with a nerf like giving it less range or very limited ammo. Personally, I'd think you'd have to make it a "human fireball" weapon where you light yourself on fire and anything you touch catches fire and can't be quenched without a medic but you can suffer the same fate. What I don't like about it is that pyros already have very limited range so any new weapons should give them some NEW gameplay options....without changing their class uniqueness of course.

A fire wall would be too overpowering.....would be easy to seal off sentries from spies for example.

So, I'm guessing maybe a fire shield. Non damaging, and big enough to guard a heavy who stands directly behind you. Slows your pace and uses fuel. Does nothing for damage coming from behind or beside or above.

toughwimp11

May 8, 2005
the pyro idea sounds interesting but i dont know if they'll do it. they dont really want to buff the classes, just give them more styles

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu

I don't know, I've seen some pretty kickass snipers on the servers I frequent. I personally don't feel they need anything to make them more powerful.

KT

AVP

Jan 19, 2005
Soldier - heat-seeking missile, guided much like the rockets in HL:2

Sniper - Semi auto rifle that deals less damage

Demoman - Explosive trip wire

Engineer - Intrusion alert / Security Cam

Spy - 1 time use garrote that puts them out of stealth for only two seconds, during which their stealth is not spent

Pyro - Gasoline sprayer that ignites and deals 2x damage when person is shot by heavy/soldier/demo

Heavy - take control and aim sg for a short period.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
I'm hoping this means we'll get some of the weapons from TFC back. The pyro will get his flame rocket launcher, the scout -> nailgun, demoman -> detpack, and medic can infect people again.

I know at the pyro is going to start getting points for setting people on fire to help encourage more people to play as them.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: AVP
Soldier - heat-seeking missile, guided much like the rockets in HL:2

Sniper - Semi auto rifle that deals less damage

Demoman - Explosive trip wire

Engineer - Intrusion alert / Security Cam

Spy - 1 time use garrote that puts them out of stealth for only two seconds, during which their stealth is not spent

Pyro - Gasoline sprayer that ignites and deals 2x damage when person is shot by heavy/soldier/demo

Heavy - take control and aim sg for a short period.

OMG, a Heavy lugging around a Sentry Gun would be killgasmic. I like your ideas promoting synergy between the classes.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Zenoth

Your post screams out that you haven't played Pyro recently. Valve did buff the Pyro and since then it has been one of the most powerful classes in the game. Their flames do something like 60dmg before extinguishing, which is a massive amount of health for a period where you aren't even hitting anything.

It is no surprise that when a team is stuck on offense, they usually mass pyro rush. Especially ubered, they can destroy more sentries in a given period of time than even a heavy can. Yet at the same time they can cause panic, chaos and kill multiple people in the same attack.

I wouldn't mind seeing the pyro have the ability to fire gasoline on the ground but it would have to be heavily tested since it could cause scenarios where pyros just sit around blocking choke points with a constant fire on CP maps.

Oh yea, and I think it is very cool that Valve is adding this to the game.

Thyme

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2000
If the medic one is just going to let you heal more at the expense of ubers, I'd suspect similar things from the other classes. For example, soldier - more rockets, less crits; or less crits, more rockets

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
One thing to note is that you don't get new weapons but replace your current ones. So you still have the same slots but now can pick what's in the slot. Not that all the weapons are interchangeable. Not sure now many new weapons they plan to release but in the case of the medic you have to pick between the 2 medic guns.

I would like a smg for the scout instead of the shotgun.

Robert Munch

Oct 11, 2006
this was already done for qwTF, customTF. Wondering if they'll rip ideas from that mod. BTW do you have a link to source OP?

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Valve has such a great balance right now, I think it'll be hard for them to maintain it with more weapons....

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I don't need anything crazy, I just miss a lot of the things from the original TF.

Class specific grenades: mirv, caltrops, nail, conc, halluc, emp, fire, etc. if they're worried about gren spamming then increase the cooldown/rarity.

Pyro's rocket launcher than fired rockets that cause some weak incineration.

Demo's demopacks!

Medic's disease! I mean come on, running around with the disease axe was FANTASTIC. And it gave medics something to do other than just looking for a heavy/soldier to heal (ie go cure disease as it spread).

<edit>
Originally posted by: RandomFool
I'm hoping this means we'll get some of the weapons from TFC back. The pyro will get his flame rocket launcher, the scout -> nailgun, demoman -> detpack, and medic can infect people again.

I know at the pyro is going to start getting points for setting people on fire to help encourage more people to play as them.

Missed this post on the quick read through, but as you can see that's pretty much where I stand. However, I do wish people would note that Q1TF was out WAAAY before TFC and that's where everything came from. :) I feel like Q1TF just gets shunned and TFC takes all the glory. You can't top the opening video to Q1TF (Orff's Ecce Gratum to that sweet demo).

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
I don't need anything crazy, I just miss a lot of the things from the original TF.

Class specific grenades: mirv, caltrops, nail, conc, halluc, emp, fire, etc. if they're worried about gren spamming then increase the cooldown/rarity.

Pyro's rocket launcher than fired rockets that cause some weak incineration.

Demo's demopacks!

Medic's disease! I mean come on, running around with the disease axe was FANTASTIC. And it gave medics something to do other than just looking for a heavy/soldier to heal (ie go cure disease as it spread).

<edit>
Originally posted by: RandomFool

Missed this post on the quick read through, but as you can see that's pretty much where I stand. However, I do wish people would note that Q1TF was out WAAAY before TFC and that's where everything came from. :) I feel like Q1TF just gets shunned and TFC takes all the glory. You can't top the opening video to Q1TF (Orff's Ecce Gratum to that sweet demo).

TFC was my first online FPS so it tends to get all my love. TFC was right around the time everyone started getting cable connections in my area so that's probably part of the reason it is more loved than Q1TF.

I'm a bit torn with the grenades. I liked having the class specific grenades like the caltrops and emp but nade spam was annoying. I can see some places (like in dustbowl) where it'd be nothing but a nade spam choke point. I think they did a pretty decent job of getting rid of nades without changing the gameplay too much. (like the scout's double jump).

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: joshsquall
I think everything should stay the same. Then again, I only play soldier.

I thought so too, but if they put the same thought into the balance, then I think it can only add more variety to the game.

Also, prepare for a slight nerf. I read an alleged email that stated that soldiers would get more splash damage from their own rockets. It makes sense. I'm not sure about the exact numbers, but I've seen soldeirs fire at least six shots into the ground a few feet away and keep running. I play demoman most of the time and in close range combat my stickies give me a good thrashing.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Originally posted by: joshsquall
I think everything should stay the same. Then again, I only play soldier.

I thought so too, but if they put the same thought into the balance, then I think it can only add more variety to the game.

Also, prepare for a slight nerf. I read an alleged email that stated that soldiers would get more splash damage from their own rockets. It makes sense. I'm not sure about the exact numbers, but I've seen soldeirs fire at least six shots into the ground a few feet away and keep running. I play demoman most of the time and in close range combat my stickies give me a good thrashing.

As a spy who gets caught in situations where I stab soldiers twice, and then get killed by a pointblank rocket while they still live, this is would be welcome news.

I'm excited about new content for the game, like others I'm just worried how it might affect the balance.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

Well, that isn't because splash damage is weak, but some sort of bug, IMO. As a soldier, when you go to rocket jump sometimes the rocket will fire right behind/under you, but not throw you anywhere and you won't take any damage. But when the rocket does hit properly, you take plenty of damage, and definitely CANNOT survive 6 of them. This usually only happens when rocket jumping. Never had it happen, say, firing point blank into a person, as those types of shots will always give you appropriate splash damage.

The bug isn't major, since you can't exploit it, if the rocket doesn't do any damage you don't get the boost and have to fire another to get your rj.

Edit: And if Soldiers do get nerfed, enjoy playing with 10 pyros per team, I guarantee you won't like it, especially Red Storm playing as a spy. You won't make it 10 feet.