Valve SteamBox: NVIDIA to be the preferred GPU vendor?

ams23

Feb 18, 2013
Valve SteamBox: NVIDIA to be the preferred GPU vendor? (source: http://i.imgur.com/UbnwGnI.jpg at http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1n0e6b/supposed_leak_on_the_remaining_2_announcements_by/ )

UbnwGnI.jpg

Last edited:

ams23

Feb 18, 2013
LOL, thanks, wow you are fast to respond :D So I take it that there will be no preferred GPU vendor at all when it comes to SteamBox, considering how much NVIDIA and AMD are touting Linux at this time :)

Gloomy

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2010
LOL, thanks, wow you are fast to respond :D So I take it that there will be no preferred GPU vendor at all when it comes to SteamBox, considering how much NVIDIA and AMD are touting Linux at this time :)

It's looking like AMD now actually.

And yeah that was me, sorry. D:

ams23

Feb 18, 2013
That could be the case. Still, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense for Valve to not restrict themselves to any particular GPU (or CPU) vendor considering that they are pushing an open platform. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what they have in mind here.

Gloomy

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2010
That could be the case. Still, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense for Valve to not restrict themselves to any particular GPU (or CPU) vendor considering that they are pushing an open platform. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what they have in mind here.

They don't have to restrict themselves. Google didn't restrict Android when they had HTC make the G1.

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
An AMD APU for the Steam Box.
Hardware agnostic for SteamOS.
What else?

ams23

Feb 18, 2013
Well, a SteamBox with just an AMD APU will be a tough sell because gamers will soon be able to get a relatively powerful AMD APU in PS4 and XBox1.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Steambox is supposed to be hardware independent as such. It can use AMD, Intel, nVidia. Essentially its just a tiny x86 PC. Valve also said they wanted the steambox to be upgradeable. I assume you keep the chassis, PSU and simply upgrade x amount of the internals.

However if they keep that silly Piston design, rather than going mITX. Its not only gonna be expensive, but also rather limited.

And 999$ for an AMD R464 with 8GB memory and 128GB SSD is not exactly cheap or a good deal in any way.

The big platform for Steam is the SteamOS. Anything eslse is just accessories. And nobody needs a Steambox if you already got a PC. Just install SteamOS on the PC.

Last edited:

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Steambox is supposed to be hardware independent as such. It can use AMD, Intel, nVidia. Essentially its just a tiny x86 PC. Valve also said they wanted the steambox to be upgradeable. I assume you keep the chassis, PSU and simply upgrade x amount of the internals.

However if they keep that silly Piston design, rather than going mITX. Its not only gonna be expensive, but also rather limited.

And 999$ for an AMD R464 with 8GB memory and 128GB SSD is not exactly cheap or a good deal in any way.

The big platform for Steam is the SteamOS. Anything eslse is just accessories. And nobody needs a Steambox if you already got a PC. Just install SteamOS on the PC.

The R464 is an embedded APU, you can use the mobile 4600M that is much cheaper.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
The R464 is an embedded APU, you can use the mobile 4600M that is much cheaper.

Its not the CPU that makes it cost 999$. But rather its size and form factor if you check their website.

And imagine having to buy custom hardware to upgrade it with. Its gonna be $$$$$.

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011

And with the streaming option - there is absolut no reason to bring a x86 Steambox.

Gloomy

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2010
Prove it? What if it was ME that posted it?

Obviously since I posted anonymously, I can't. That screencap isn't even mine.

I'm not asking you to believe me by the way. I'm just putting it out there: it's fake. Don't even bother discussing it as anything other than speculation. Whether or not you think it was me, I don't give a care. ():)

seitur

Jul 12, 2013
AMD is out of question for Linux based gaming because AMD Linux drivers are atrocious. If AMD ever want to be on Linux space they need to completly change how they are handling their GPU drivers there and do it ASAP.

Both Intel and NVIDIA on Linux are leagues ahead AMD.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
AMD is out of question for Linux based gaming because AMD Linux drivers are atrocious. If AMD ever want to be on Linux space they need to completly change how they are handling their GPU drivers there and do it ASAP.

i had a hd6850 on ubuntu 12.04 without any "driver issues," but that is fine keep perpetuating that myth.

seitur

Jul 12, 2013
i had a hd6850 on ubuntu 12.04 without any "driver issues," but that is fine keep perpetuating that myth.
Try to game on Radeons in Linux and them compare performance results to similar GPUs from NVIDIA or AMD.
For additional "fun" try 7xxx series.

It is not a myth. Just a harsh reality.

Myth is about AMD Windows drivers some say are bad- which is untrue because they're just fine. This is not same for Linux.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011

Do you actually speak from experience? I really high doubt it because in general, AMD has always had good and open source drivers for linux whereas nvidia has never had open source drivers. Generally speaking, you have the roles reversed here, unless you're just hopping on an "AMD driver' bandwagon. For linux it is actually false. AMD has been considered better than NV.

Not that I care, I don't use linux anymore.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011

seitur

Jul 12, 2013
You have it backwards.

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/06/torvalds-nvidia-linux/

Nvidia doesn't release open source drivers.
It seems you misunderstood me.

I was not talking about open source vs propiretary. I was merely talking about performance and feature support.

NVIDIA is keeping closed binary drivers and generally is PITA for Linux kernel developers.

Those binary Linux drivers from user standpoint work well though. As an average user you'll have much less problems and better performance with them than with AMD Linux drivers.

I am also NOT Nvidia fanboy. I am not fanboying any company and I do actually want better AMD drivers on Linux because I actaully do use Linux.

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
That still isn't open source. Whatever, though, let's hop on a driver bandwagon. I highly doubt anyone in this thread uses linux anyway.

From what I understand from reading the linked article on Ars Technia, Nv plans on doing so eventually.

And no, I don't use Linux. Never even tried it. I may eventually though.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
That still isn't open source. Whatever, though, let's hop on a driver bandwagon. I highly doubt anyone in this thread uses linux anyway.
as I pointed out earlier, my amd hd6850 worked perfectly fine on ubuntu 12.04. Everybody on the internet likes to crap on amd drivers but I have yet to have any such issues. the biggest IMO problem is the disparity between windows and linux performance.

From what I understand from reading the linked article on Ars Technia, Nv plans on doing so eventually.

And no, I don't use Linux. Never even tried it. I may eventually though.
maybe for steamOS ;)

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
It seems you misunderstood me.

NVIDIA is keeping closed binary drivers and generally is PITA for Linux kernel developers.

There was a ton of backlash with Nvidia drivers and Linux. Why do you think this would be any easier for the steambox devs to program games when they cannot get access to the source code for the drivers?

No problems here with AMD linux drivers either.