Valve is loosing it!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: seepy83
Originally posted by: Insane3D
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally posted by: flexy
Counterstrike.....hmm..wasnt this that really old game with the pre-1998 DX7 graphics ? I wouldnt pay a penny to play that garbage anyway :)

Yes, because gameplay is unimportant compared to flashy graphics. Go play some 3DMark. ;) :p

- M4H

No, but good graphics are part of gameplay to some people. I mean, WTF wants to play Q2 level engines nowadays? You know you can have "flashy graphics" and good gameplay right?

I can only speak for myself, but I don't have two high end systems to play games with engines from the mid 90's...;)

if you can find me a game that has gameplay and teamwork as good as TFC does, with a newer game engine, i'll play it. until then, i'd love to play on an old Q2 based engine.
And if you've never played TFC in a match setting, don't bother responding...cause you arent gonna understand why i think it's leaps and bounds above other games as far as gameplay and teamwork.
Day of Defeat! (still a HL mod, though...)

trek

Dec 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Czar
the biggest lan party holder in the country just got an email from valve

Dear admins.
We would like to announce that a standalone offline Counter-strike Condition-zero client will be made available soon.
The client can be downloaded from our fileserver mirrors in a few days. This means that SteamSoftware will not be required in lan play with Counter-strike Condition-zero.

We would therefore like to use this opportunity and announce changes with SteamSoftware usage in the larger lan-tournaments.
Tournaments with SteamSoftware users exceeding 300, will be required to pay a fee of $5 per SteamSoftware user per day.

SteamSoftware logins will be monitored in the future, and users per ip counted. If the number of logins exceed 300, further attempts to login from that ip will fail.

Any attempts in getting by this security measure will result in legal action.

Questions and License-orders go to our marketing divison, marketing@valvesoftware.com.

Gabe Newell - Founder/Managing Director - Valve.

the end results are that counterstrike will not be a part of that lan party, wouldnt suprise me if it would totaly kill counterstrike all over the world

Unless I'm reading this wrong, doesn't it just mean that the people at the lan can't play online? There is no limit on the number of offline clients.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
What kind of LAN Party would have more than 300 people playing CS? There are other games.

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
It's Fools day guys
rolleye.gif

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Insane3D
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally posted by: flexy
Counterstrike.....hmm..wasnt this that really old game with the pre-1998 DX7 graphics ? I wouldnt pay a penny to play that garbage anyway :)

Yes, because gameplay is unimportant compared to flashy graphics. Go play some 3DMark. ;) :p

- M4H

No, but good graphics are part of gameplay to some people. I mean, WTF wants to play Q2 level engines nowadays? You know you can have "flashy graphics" and good gameplay right?

I can only speak for myself, but I don't have two high end systems to play games with engines from the mid 90's...;)

I still play Quake1. And so do others who realize that the game has more gameplay than many other things to be released. Graphics has nothing to do with gameplay. And good gameplay can keep any game going for a very long time.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Valve/Steam is killing CS. The EULA changed with 1.6. They're charging cafes $10 per PC per month. Hell, some cafes in Europe stopped holding CS tournaments. The old way of buying enough individual copies of software per PC isn't legal under the Steam EULA.

In contrast, companies like Microsoft provide free cafe licenses for Halo because they see cafes as a way to advertise, not a source of revenue. We have plans to open a cafe in May and we're strongly considering not installing CS.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: virtuamike
Valve/Steam is killing CS. The EULA changed with 1.6. They're charging cafes $10 per PC per month. Hell, some cafes in Europe stopped holding CS tournaments. The old way of buying enough individual copies of software per PC isn't legal under the Steam EULA.

In contrast, companies like Microsoft provide free cafe licenses for Halo because they see cafes as a way to advertise, not a source of revenue. We have plans to open a cafe in May and we're strongly considering not installing CS.

1) People will still pay it. Just like people will pay for CS2 and so forth.

2) Halo is IMO the worst coded game of all time and WE should be paid by MS to play it.

On a side note Valve isn't loosing money right now. That fact of the matter is they just constantly want more. No amount of income is satisfactory for them whether it be $100,000 a month or 100 billlions dollars a day. :(

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SithSolo1

On a side note Valve isn't loosing money right now.
No, they probably are, and have been for some time. HL2, Steam, CS, etc all have dev costs, and at this point(2004), it's unlikely Valve is selling enough copies of CS/HL-Platinum to do any better than break even on their costs. You make money on a game after you finish it, not durring.